PDA

View Full Version : Career with Urban Studies Degree?

miik0
08-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know what kind of career someone could get with an Urban Studies Degree or any other Social Sciences Degree?

Weapon_R
08-25-2007, 07:28 PM
There are many white collar jobs that don't have a degree specific prerequisite. Typically, these will be entry level jobs that you can use to improve your experience and land better positions in the future.

A social sciences degree can also be used as a foundation for future study, such as law, professional accounting, and other programs.

In other words, don't expect a specific title with something like an urban studies degree. It's hard to predict what type of position you'll end up with.

miik0
08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
There are many white collar jobs that don't have a degree specific prerequisite. Typically, these will be entry level jobs that you can use to improve your experience and land better positions in the future.

A social sciences degree can also be used as a foundation for future study, such as law, professional accounting, and other programs.

In other words, don't expect a specific title with something like an urban studies degree. It's hard to predict what type of position you'll end up with.

I was thinking with a Social Science degree and a major in Urban Studies and a minor in something else could get me a job as a city planner or in transportation/economic development. Would that be at all possible?

D. Dub
08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Why not try to get an "information interview" with someone higher up in the city planning department AND with someone in the faculty you're interested in?

:thumbsup:

ga16i
08-25-2007, 10:41 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2005/10/27/inside2-walmart.jpg

I kid, I kid.
But yea I don't think too many of the bachelor level social science will land you a related job in that field. E.g., good luck becoming an "economist" or a "geographer" or "psychologist" with just a bachelor in that field. Probably more likely to land some unrelated white collar job doing whatever it is that they do in cubicles :burnout:

Antonito
08-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm too lazy to find the Canadian equivalent, but go to the education section to see what you would have to do to get a job in urban planning:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos057.htm#training

As you can see, a lot more than the bachelors is needed unless you want to be a low level lacky forever. To be completely honest, looking at the description from a few university websites, this degree sounds like kind of a wank. It seems to be another one of those degrees that allow you to sound smart at parties, but focus' very little on how to actually fix anything in a non-theoretical world.

Oh and getting into urban planning can be very hard if you want to stay in the city of your choice. City planners never quit, since the only other option is to go to another city, so all the good cities are typically "taken". A buddy of mine came out here and couldn't find anything other than entry level jobs for the city in this field, and ended up having to move to some hick city on Vancouver Island. He is highly qualified, lots of experience, there just aren't any openings in the foreseeable future.

Just my 2 cents

Weapon_R
08-25-2007, 11:13 PM
A city planner probably requires much more than an Urban Studies degree unfortunately. Anyone with decent clout will probably have a serious background in infrastructure development, and probably an engineering/architecture background to be taken seriously.

miik0
08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I see, thanks for the input.

Euro///Tuned
08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
A city planner probably requires much more than an Urban Studies degree unfortunately. Anyone with decent clout will probably have a serious background in infrastructure development, and probably an engineering/architecture background to be taken seriously.

:werd:

To become an urban planner you will need a Master in Environmental Design. The urban studies major is just something you can take so you can gain more background in the field. Any undergrad will get you into Environmental Design as long as you have a strong GPA. I would recommend taking something that you can do really well in since entrance into Environmental Design is competitive.