PDA

View Full Version : How much land for a hobby farm

Euro_Trash
08-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Just curious about how many acres you would want for a small hobby farm (probably just a couple horses or something, house, shop, etc).

Hakkola
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
If we tell you, you have to promise not to film brokeback 2, beyond edition. ;)

Probably quite a few acres for the horses to run around...

spikerS
08-26-2007, 06:59 PM
bare minimum is 4 acers per horse has worked out for me, perferably 6 per horse. 2 acers per cow. you will probably wasnt 4ish for your house and 4 more for a barn.

Best hobby farms I have seen usually have about 25ish acres that were not growing anything on them.

Euro_Trash
08-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by spikers
bare minimum is 4 acers per horse has worked out for me, perferably 6 per horse. 2 acers per cow. you will probably wasnt 4ish for your house and 4 more for a barn.

Best hobby farms I have seen usually have about 25ish acres that were not growing anything on them.

Perfect thanks, just doing my research right now before planning anything.

Originally posted by Hakkola
If we tell you, you have to promise not to film brokeback 2, beyond edition. ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

spikerS
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
no worries, but i am still gonna tease the hell outta ya. I still work 2.5 sections of land up north. but then again we make fun of anyone with less than 1/4 section.

Euro_Trash
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I have always been from a small town, but I spent last year on a 3 section farm (Dairy Cattle, Buffalo, Canola, etc) near Fort St John, and it gave me a taste of the country life. Now I want to get out into the country myself!

Nate
08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I have a 1/4 section. If you go any smaller, in a few years you will be kicking yourself. Its nice to just have the extra room once you get the house, shop, barn etc on there. Then you have some space to go dirt biking, quading, snowmobiling etc etc.

khtm
08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I grew up on a 12 acre hobby farm. It was perfect for us. I think it could have even been smaller. We had horses, cattle, chickens, turkeys, sheep, goats, a huge garden and greenhouse, a large barn, and several smaller sheds...and half of the property hadn't been logged.

Supa Dexta
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
what classes it as a hobby farm.. we had what we called one, but we had over 300 acres and 100 head.. I'd just call what you want, owning a couple of horses..

khtm
08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I think a "hobby" farm is a term used when farming isn't your primary occupation, it's more like a "hobby".

Like my parents both had other jobs when I grew up but we still had all these frickin' animals and fruits/vegetables to take care of and eat.

EDIT: Oh wow my definition was really close: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_farm

Wiki says "5 to 15 acres" is appropriate. So I guess that answers your question OP.