PDA

View Full Version : Would this work for rust?

JdmIntegra
08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I have some rust on mytrunk and around the keyhole to my trunk and very minor on the roof of my car, I was wondering if sanding down were the rust is so it just goes to bare metal then spraying a layor of rust primer letting it dry repaining it with a couple coats and putting a clear coat on top would work to get rid of the rust?

and what do you think is better to fill the small holes were my emblems used to be, bondo or fiber glass?

GTS Jeff
08-26-2007, 07:30 PM
POR-15.

ca18det240sx
08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
short strand glass to fill the holes. You would want to sand your rust down to clean metal and about 2 or 3 inches around it, then youre gonna need to feather-edge it so you cant see where you sprayed the paint. Then primer it with some decent spray primer and sand it again, with about 320 grit or 400 grit. You wanna sand down your trunk starting maybe with 220, or 80 grit to get rid of all the rust, then you can feather edge it with 320, primer, then sand with 400, feather edge it while sanding, then spray your paint. Make sure you clean it off with a good solvent between each step.

JdmIntegra
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
thank you so much but im not to worried about the paint right now it can look as crap as it wants im gonna get the whole car repainted a month or so before dtp

how much do you guys think a full paint job at screamin paint would cost, actually sorry not a full paint job cause my car is already black i just wanna redo it and bring it back to live give it a lil gloss

Oh sorry and can I add that Im gonna be needing a new wind shield before i start repping my DA9 were would the cheapest place around calgary be to get a new windshield put in?

Sharpie
08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx
short strand glass to fill the holes. You would want to sand your rust down to clean metal and about 2 or 3 inches around it, then youre gonna need to feather-edge it so you cant see where you sprayed the paint. Then primer it with some decent spray primer and sand it again, with about 320 grit or 400 grit. You wanna sand down your trunk starting maybe with 220, or 80 grit to get rid of all the rust, then you can feather edge it with 320, primer, then sand with 400, feather edge it while sanding, then spray your paint. Make sure you clean it off with a good solvent between each step.
I would suggest sanding with 500-600 after you sand your primer to get rid of any deep scratches. Also I hope you know it will probably look like shit without properly painting the whole panel...

ca18det240sx
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

I would suggest sanding with 500-600 after you sand your primer to get rid of any deep scratches. Also I hope you know it will probably look like shit without properly painting the whole panel...

agreed, 500-600 is a good idea. Just go to canadian tire and get single sheets of 80 grit, 220 grit, and 400 grit, and maybe some 500 grit.

you could start off with 220 but itll take you a bit longer to go thru all the rust.

Sharpie
08-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Also since you said you are going to get some parts repainted I suggest cutting out the damaged metal and weld in new metal. This way there is a very slim chance of having it come back and it will make it look alot cleaner..

ca18det240sx
08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Fiberglass also works very well for keeping the rust away apparently (says my bodyman friend). U can fill the rust holes with that as long as you can tape behind it.

JdmIntegra
08-26-2007, 08:13 PM
my rust isnt big its like 1 inch round in and a couple are only like 2 cm round its not a big deal like alot of hondas i see im just gonna sand it down with like 80 3inchs around each one with 80 grit then 200grit then primer it sand it down again with the 500 like you guys said but a couple coats on of dupli color black paint then then a couple coats of clear coat and that should be good right???

im just not sure what to do about the one thats around the key hole, should i just sand as best i can around it???

ca18det240sx
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
take the lock out completely, its pretty easy.

youll be suprised, a few of them may turn into big holes.

JdmIntegra
08-28-2007, 04:54 AM
is there a DIY for taking a keyhole out and putting it back in on a g2 ???

haha, let me rephrase that, anyone with a g2 ever done this before and can quickly tell me?

swak
08-28-2007, 07:20 AM
may sound like a complete idiot, but what is feather edgeing

Sharpie
08-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by swak
may sound like a complete idiot, but what is feather edgeing
Its basicly sanding the area around where you brought the paint down to metal so you cant feel where you did the repair...

Edit: Haha my bad

ca18det240sx
08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
so you "cant" feel where you did the repair (=