PDA

View Full Version : Taking off stock shift knob

94CoRd
06-29-2003, 05:30 PM
How would i go about taking my stock shift knob off my 94 accord, i've tried just twisting it and seeing if it would just like screw off, but all that does is rotate the WHOLE shifter...:confused:, please help...thanx

theken
06-29-2003, 05:55 PM
is there any screws?? try holding the whole shifter and turning the knob.

94CoRd
06-29-2003, 06:40 PM
okay..but yeh..there is no visible screws

fcuk_it
06-30-2003, 12:31 AM
you have to pry the shift knob off the leather boot just use a flat head screwdriver then when its off u can twist the shift knob off... it should take a few seconds

yohan4ws
07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
yeah if its anything like on my car you need to pull the boot down from the knob. its a bitch, if theres a chrome ring (plastic covered in chrome ) you have to pry above that on the dash side of the shift knob, then when the boot pulls down (and seriously grab it with both hands and rest all your body weight on it) it should slide down and then you can unscrew it.

with my car id' have ot replace the boot because i haven't seen many aftermarket square shift knobs.

littledan
07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
yeah if its anything like on my car you need to pull the boot down from the knob. its a bitch, if theres a chrome ring (plastic covered in chrome ) you have to pry above that on the dash side of the shift knob, then when the boot pulls down (and seriously grab it with both hands and rest all your body weight on it) it should slide down and then you can unscrew it.

with my car id' have ot replace the boot because i haven't seen many aftermarket square shift knobs.

i put in a rsx knob into my car and didn't need to replace the boot... only the rectangular piece gets replaced with a circular one.

see here http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15594

yohan4ws
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
yeah but a square boot doesnt match up so nicely all the time with a round boot .. if you know what I mean... if you put a different ring under the boot, that would work too but its easier and looks nicer to have a new shift boot also. Not necessary, but might look nicer. Just my .02$