PDA

View Full Version : The turbo D is blowing the blue...bad, Options?

Greddy DelSol
08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Well, it's been 3.5 years since I put the Greddy turbo kit onto my del sol. It's ran great and honestly it's still running fine but in the last month or so I've noticed the volume of blue smoke and occasional black smoke getting more and more.

I'm about to hit 240,000k on my D and I'm trying now to weigh my options.

1. Since the K is so high on the car I could just find annother D and get a little more life out of the car. Direct swap of all parts and no extra work needed.

2.Get the D rebuilt and have to eat the cost of paying some shop to do all the work. Possible upgrades but I'm budget constrained. (house poor)

3. Get a B or K series engine and sell the turbo kit and try and offset the car... ( I don't know if I can live without the boost)

What are your thoughts??

forced_eg
08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
get another d series and crank up the boost

Mr_ET
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
amen!

Primer_Drift
08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Need another D block? I've got one sitting on my driveway, come take it away! lol

Mr_ET
08-28-2007, 07:34 PM
maybe I should get it for when my crazy ghetto tuning antics finally get the better of the sohc zc :P

Greddy DelSol
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Need another D block? I've got one sitting on my driveway, come take it away! lol

Is it just the block? or is there more to it? What's the story with it?

Mr_ET
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
swapped out of an EK hatch recently as he was swapping in a GSR. It is the full motor but I don't know about axles, ecu and such.

not sure of the KMS on it probably high 100's

hellraiser456
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
blue smoke is burning oil..

black smoke means you are burning rich...(too much gas)

before you jump to the conclusion of a bad block/rings, you should be going over the basics.

first would be the turbo. they tend to eventually die and that is usually first sign. i would check your turbo for shaft play. also check the fins of the compressor wheel and make sure they aren't chipped. If they are...or the shaft play is out of spec(there should be very well next to none) then replace your turbo.

Another common source for oil in the combustion chamber is the head. i don't know enough about honda's however...i wouldn't be surprised if you started to have valve issues. a head rebuild is much cheaper than a swap and you could upgrade your head and get it better adjusted for a turbo.

if all else fails...compression test and leak down test never fails...and a block test as well.

If you must take it to a shop to look over it...i would recommend going to a few or a trusted place as mechnics will look at your car and more often than not fix things that don't need fixing.

as for the black smoke. well that's a longer story.
it means you are running rich...but its isn't necessarily a bad thing when it comes to modified (turbo) cars. as the boost start some come on adding a bit more fuel will help prevent detonation.

SO..how much black smoke is the and more importantly when do you see it (under boost...when hitting positive pressure)

Lastly..mods...more importantly tuning mods. have you ever had the car tuned and/or have anything to tune with. Do you have a WBO2? Tuning will be very important as from what i understand hondas get confused with boost as they aren't tuned for it.

If you don't have anything to tune with..i would highly recommend finding something out there. Im sure you could get away with a piggy back..and for smaller numbers that should be all you need.

Lastly...and a little more to the point of your thread. A motor swap would be good if you can afford to do it properly. You will need to make sure the new motor is healthy and worthy for a swap. It may end up being cheaper just to rebuild your motor...and if needed use a another motor in your car while the other ones is off being built. IT would be a great opportunity to build your bottom end up. You should also consider a stock rebuild as they are very budget friendly and may cost less than a long block. For you and your application..i would recommend some basic bottom end mods. they will greatly increase the life of your bottom end. You should talk to some people (or search) for turbo'd d series blocks and see what others have done.