PDA

View Full Version : out of provience

chadnixon
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
anybody know a good spot to get a OOP inspection done? Im having alot of trouble finding a place where the people who work there aren't real anal about modifications. Everyone seems to be giving me shit about it being lowered, aftermarket exhaust, etc.

Are there any "performance" shops around that specialize in modded cars?

chadnixon
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
nobody? all the people on here with imports and nobodys done a out of provience inspection??? :confused:

DC2
08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
have you tried to search?

chadnixon
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
yup

Stephen81
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
tried spelling "province" correctly in the search feature?

chadnixon
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
...forget it.

harv91
08-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by chadnixon
...forget it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DC2
08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
:thumbsup: good for you for attempting to search

chadnixon
08-29-2007, 06:46 AM
I searched and found lots of info on the requirments for a OOP, however that doesn't answer my question.

Iqoair
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
The OOP inspection is a government inspection which has a very thick rule book along with it.

If you have made modifications to your car which deem it unsafe, or clearly don't meet inspection requirements, you'll have to change / repair it as needed.

It's not about being anal about the rules, it's about doing the job properly. It takes 4 years or sometimes longer to get a Journeyman license. You do the inspections properly or risk losing your ticket.

Here's a SNIP :

What the Inspection Involves
This inspection is a basic safety or mechanical fitness assessment that must be performed by a certified journeyman technician who is licensed by Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation’s Motor Vehicle Inspection Program (MVIP). Typically the inspection takes two hours to perform.

The mechanical fitness portion of the OOP Vehicle Inspection involves virtually all vehicle components including fuel and exhaust systems, all electrical, engine controls, powertrain, driveline, steering, suspension, braking systems, wiring and lights, tires, glass, wipers and defrosters.

The vehicle must be maintained within Original Equipment Manufacturers standards or wear tolerances in order to pass the inspection.

Structural integrity inspections establish whether or not the vehicle's frame and/or body exhibit signs of major collision damage and/or repairs. They also examine the vehicle for corrosion in body or frame members. The OOP Vehicle Inspection may not be conclusive in determining previous crash history as the inspection technicians are certified automotive service technicians, not autobody collision repair technicians. If you suspect the vehicle has sustained major damage before you purchased it, you may wish to have the vehicle examined by a collision repair technician.

Restored antique, classic, homebuilt, modified or street rod vehicles that were not previously registered, or those where proof of prior Alberta registration cannot be provided, must also undergo an OOP Vehicle Inspection the first time they are registered.

Alberta's OOP Vehicle Inspection is privatized and inspection fees are established by the inspection facility. Customers are responsibility for ensuring they receive the service expected when selecting an inspection facility.

You should discuss your vehicle's overall condition with the inspection technician before entering into an agreement to have the vehicle inspected. If the vehicle is found to be deficient during the inspection, you may choose to take your vehicle to more than one inspection technician before agreeing to complete suggested repairs.

Inspection Deadlines
Vehicles that fail the initial inspection must be repaired within 10 days of the failure notice to avoid an additional full inspection fee assessment. Vehicles repaired and presented for re-inspection within 10 days will be subject to verification of required repairs only. Inspection Certificates are valid for 14 days and vehicles must be registered in Alberta before the expiry date. Should the vehicle owner fail to register the vehicle within 14 days a full OOP Vehicle Inspection will be required again.

- Good luck

chadnixon
08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Thats all well and great, and im all for vehicles being safe, however, my car has been inspected every year since it was brand new in Nova Svotia. It's probably one of the better shape cars on the road because of it, yet people in Alberta can buy a vehicle, and as long as they keep it, it will only have to be inspected once? It doesnt make sence to be so hard on out of provience cars, and be so care free with cars that are already in alberta. I know there are insurance inspections if it is a certian age, but common, we all know how laid back those are..:thumbsdow

I have no problem with a tech telling me my car is unsafe because it is lowered, but when I look out side and see that he drives a truck thats lifted 2 feet with 40" tires on it that's a different story.

TNation
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
The best place is Kuk's auto shop.
He specializes in German cars and imports.
kuksshop.com

give him a call, he'll inspect your car no problem!