PDA

View Full Version : Odd Infiniti G35 break-in, trick to get the windows down?

googe
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Wondering if anyone has heard of this, or if I might be missing something...

My car (G35 Coupe) was broken into Friday night in Seattle, parked in a "secure" parkade with a fair bit of traffic. I return to the car and both the driver's and passenger windows are down (no chance I left them down), not damaged at all, and the lock on the drivers side door was smashed up a bit along with a pretty big dent around it. The lock is messed up enough that my key doesn't fit in it anymore (never used it anyway, since it has keyless). Also, the hood was popped. It doesn't look like the vehicle was turned on or the ignition was tampered with, and I don't see signs of anything done under the hood. Battery compartment was closed, terminals were on, horn was still connected.

So it looks like someone messed with the lock, caused both windows to go down, then reached in and unlocked it. I am guessing popping the hood was accidental, maybe going for the trunk release (but the trunk was closed, so I dunno).

The windows dont even normally go down unless the key is turned, so it's really weird that they both went down with no key at all. If they could have got them down with a remote (pretty sure this is possible, I forget the key combo) then they wouldn't have had to smash the lock. If the lock got them in, they wouldn't have had to put the windows down. Also, they hit it hard enough to break a piece off the handle and leave the dent. So it's like they hit the lock to cause the windows to go down? :dunno:

Ideas?

heartbreaker
08-27-2007, 11:32 PM
If you put ur key in and turn counterclock wise and hold it, the windows roll down. Turn it clockwise and the windows roll up.

Honda_002
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
lol

googe
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Haha, guess thats an easy explanation. Didn't know you could even do that. Do most vehicles do that? Seems like a pretty dumb idea, for this reason.

Honda_002
08-27-2007, 11:42 PM
so you look super ballin when you unlock your whip:bigpimp:

heartbreaker
08-27-2007, 11:49 PM
alot of new vehicles do this. best defence is an alarm. :devil:

tylere
08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
With some older VW's you could stick a screwdriver in the lock and turn it causing the windows to roll down, I wonder if this is a similar problem.

SinisterProbeGt
08-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Mabye this happened
[youtube]Video Removed

googe
08-28-2007, 10:17 AM
nope, wasnt that

BrknFngrs
08-28-2007, 10:18 AM
^^ Whoa, wtf? I thought rolling codes or w/e was suppose to prevent this from happening?

benyl
08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Most BMWs do that. The reason is to let out the hot air in the summer. If you hold it long enough, the sunroof opens too.

googe
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
^^ Whoa, wtf? I thought rolling codes or w/e was suppose to prevent this from happening?

It's fake. There are attacks on keyless entry systems, but they aren't that practical, and that isn't one of them. Actually, Infiniti/Nissan aren't vulnerable. That guy just has his buddy pressing unlock for him.

SinisterProbeGt
08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by googe

It's fake. There are attacks on keyless entry systems, but they aren't that practical, and that isn't one of them. Actually, Infiniti/Nissan aren't vulnerable. That guy just has his buddy pressing unlock for him.

On that video you can see the keys and the FOB on the roof of that car!!!

googe
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Cars come with 2 fobs and 2 sets of keys ;)

Woblin_Goblin
08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I have an 03 G sedan. All of the side windows on my car roll down when the unlock button on the key fob is held down. The window operation is documented in the users manual.