PDA

View Full Version : Rx8 Rotary engine any good?

Thehonger8
08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I am looking to buy a new car and i was wondering how reliable the rotary engine is. I have heard some stories that it is not very reliable. I am looking to buy a used Rx8 Gt full loaded with 10,000 kms on it. I can get it for a pretty low price. I am just looking for some advice on the car. i.e like how it drives, reliability, how it holds up in winter and performance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Barlow
08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm looking my self, and i read a review that says tghe rotary is fun to drive, however in the winter it has its quirks, as in it doesn;t always start in the cold... and Calgary winter is cold.... but i still may get one.

A790
08-28-2007, 08:26 PM
The Renesis rotary won engine of the year for a good reason. Like any car, proper maintenance yields positive results. 238 horsepower, smooth powerband, and an absolute rev rocket.

Do it.

HuMz
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by A790
The Renesis rotary won engine of the year for a good reason. Like any car, proper maintenance yields positive results. 238 horsepower, smooth powerband, and an absolute rev rocket.

Do it.

Agreed, the only thing I would add is that the engines do burn a little oil. Many people like to make a big deal of it but as long as your checking it every now and then and maintaining it than its no biggie.

Ekliptix
08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=102387

ca18det240sx
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I hear the renesis is very well designed, very different than the origional 13b. Good power, and much better emissions than the origional. Its a bit too soon however to talk about reliability with them, as nobody prolly has 200,000km on one yet....but we'll see. The good thing about a rotary, is its so simple, there isnt much to break. I say if its a good price, get it.

\JCAR/
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by HuMz

Agreed, the only thing I would add is that the engines do burn a little oil. Many people like to make a big deal of it but as long as your checking it every now and then and maintaining it than its no biggie.

well there built to burn oil lol but in all honesty i have only noticed they burn small ammounts of oil on long trips not driving around calgary..like i drove my 86 rx-7 from calgary to ft.Mc murray and maybe used 1/4 of a liter nothing at all

but hey a rotary with warranty =Sweet deal

Toms-SC
08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Ask one of the Rx8 owners here on his 3rd warranty motor. Slow, pig on fuel and expensive. A combination for mega lose.

Lex350
08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
As an owner I can comment on this:

1) The car is no problem in the winter at all as long as you put snow tires on. Actually it can be a lot of fun. I've had it out all day when it was -30 and it has always started.

2) If you are buying used, stay away from any 04 models. That's were the most problems with the engines are happening. I myself have had mine replaced twice. (not normal for this area but take ity anyway you like) Don't buy an Automatic...especialy the 4 port 2004 model.

3) The adding oil isn't as bad as people that don't have one tell you. I have to ad about a 1/2 litre per month...no big deal.

4) Gas mileage is all over the place with different people's cars.
(from 12mpg to 21mpg city)
I get 17 in the city and about 23-24 on the highway. The car hates rush hour traffic. This is where your mileage goes in the crapper.

5) The car is not that powerfull but still very fun to drive. You can throw it very hard into a corner and not get in any trouble because the car's balance is very nice. Great brakes too.

6) MAZDA DEALERS SUCK BALLS FOR SERVICE. Get used to fighting with them..well at least Sunridge and especially Kramer mazda

4doorj
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
mazda rx8's are soooo sweet!!!!
im scared of the horror stories ... especially rotten42's stories...
why not just look into a used s2000 or something???

pattyt
08-28-2007, 09:30 PM
MY buddy has an RX-8 and its pretty sweet. He has a couple mods like intake and exhaust, but nothing serious. The car still has some pull though. you can definetly thrash it around alot. Hes never had any huge problems, i guess because his is a 2006 they worked out most of the kinks by then.

Whenever i drive with him i really really start to want one, maybe one day :D

Id say if your buying a brand new one go for it...full warranty :thumbsup:

civicluva
08-28-2007, 11:04 PM
my last rx8 the engine blew at 29000 kms. It was an 06

Ekliptix
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I think most people buy them for the handling and styling (not that I like how they look).

I'm not sure of the RX-8 price but I think a 350Z looks better, is more reliable, and will outperform the mazda as a rwd car.

dimi
08-29-2007, 12:12 AM
1) They tend flood if you aren't careful. So once you start the car you have to let it fully warm up before turning it off or else it might flood. After flooding sometimes you can get the car started by cranking for a while, but other times you have to tow to the dealership and replace plugs and maybe a cat(I read this somewhere). So you can't fire it up move it and then turn it off.

2) They consume more gas than your regular piston engine. Like rotten42 has stated under 20mpg city.

3) Great handling from what I have heard, great looking interior and exterior and quite spacious.

If it had a more ordinary engine setup I would be sold.

Lex350
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by dimi
1) They tend flood if you aren't careful. So once you start the car you have to let it fully warm up before turning it off or else it might flood. After flooding sometimes you can get the car started by cranking for a while, but other times you have to tow to the dealership and replace plugs and maybe a cat(I read this somewhere). So you can't fire it up move it and then turn it off.

2) They consume more gas than your regular piston engine. Like rotten42 has stated under 20mpg city.

3) Great handling from what I have heard, great looking interior and exterior and quite spacious.

If it had a more ordinary engine setup I would be sold.

Fot the most part the flooding issue has been resolved. Only an idiot should flood the car now.

I mpg never really bothered me. Most other cars out there advertise better mileage than the get. The engine may be under powered but it is still a sweet little powerplant. It has a distinctive sound and is very smooth right to the 9000rpm redline. When I ger rid of the car next year I'm goign to miss that.

I guesss it also depends on where you're head is that will determine whether there is enough power in the car. The car won't win races but that's not why I bought it in the first place. I don't street race and besides, there is always a faster car out there. It does have nough power to do everything I need it to do in traffic and out on the highway.

At out Mazda cruise this weekend a cvouple of us Rx8's had a clear run coming down Mt Norquay. That! is where the car demonstrated its capabilities best. Great handling and even better brakes. It was a hoot.

I guess that's why I'm so manic depressive with this car. I love it and I hate it. Next year I think I'm going to look for a used G35 (2006).

rage2
08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by A790
International engine of the year... they sure know how to pick 'em! M3 3.2L I6 gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Renesis Rotary gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive gets picked, dead hybrid batteries + failures shortly after :rofl:.

The M5 V10 got picked 2 yrs in a row... wonder if that's a sign of things to come? haha.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/previous04.html

SilverRex
08-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by rage2

International engine of the year... they sure know how to pick 'em! M3 3.2L I6 gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Renesis Rotary gets picked, blows up everywhere shortly after. Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive gets picked, dead hybrid batteries + failures shortly after :rofl:.

The M5 V10 got picked 2 yrs in a row... wonder if that's a sign of things to come? haha.

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineoftheyear/previous04.html

maybe thats what happens after they win an award, they quickly throw all their R&D money into something else and start pushing for CR reduction.

just my guess.

cloud7
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I own a 2007 RX8.

It really doesn't burn that much oil... the car has ~7000 km on it and I have only added just over 1 L of oil in total as of yesterday. You just need to keep an eye on it, that's all. The engine is designed to use oil. The location of the dip stick could be better thought out.

Flooding issues have all been resolved as rotten42 had said. I had a couple of really short trips and had no problem restarting the car.

Handling is amazing... out handles the 350Z for sure... the 350Z is faster around a road course because it has more power and a lot more torque down low.

Gas mileage is bad but I knew that going into it. I have never really worked out the exact gas mileage, but it is probably close to 13L/100 km mark.

rage2
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
maybe thats what happens after they win an award, they quickly throw all their R&D money into something else and start pushing for CR reduction.
WTF you talking about? R&D is done before something is released, not after :rofl:. Besides, you don't see a first year K20 blow up do you? The engine failures I talked about are all engineering mistakes... big ones, that's costed the companies tons of $.

rc2002
08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
OP Have you driven the RX8 yet? That might sway your decision.

The HP rating is actually misleading. Mazda had a buy back because they grossly over-rated the power. It looks cool and handles OK but it feels gutless and torqueless. I've never owned one but I'd be wary about buying anything in the Mazda brand - oh the stories I've heard about them.

I'd look into a 3-series or S2k or 350Z if I were you.

SilverRex
08-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by rage2

WTF you talking about? R&D is done before something is released, not after :rofl:. Besides, you don't see a first year K20 blow up do you? The engine failures I talked about are all engineering mistakes... big ones, that's costed the companies tons of $.

that make sense, then again what do I know, im no expert.

as far as rx8 goes, I would have got one in 04 had the white color came out then but it didnt, I still dont know if that was a blessing or a curse.

I would never pay full price for it, so if its a sweet deal, why not. To all potential rx8 owners, just make sure you have something good to justify your purchase just incase the experience turns sour you can fall back on something like "at least you got a sweet deal, or your going to mod the car so sick that you will be satisfied just the mount of attention your getting alone is worth the price of admission. something on those lines :thumbsup:

Thehonger8
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the info.
I am looking at a fully loaded rx-8 gt with 10,000 kms for 26,000. Not sure on the year yet but will call soon. How long is the warranty? I was thinking of buying this car and drive it for a year or two and then sell it and hopefully not lose that much money on it.

Edit it is actually an 2004. An old man owned it last and bought it for the hell of it and hardly drove it. Do you guys think it is a good buy?

Edit: I meant actually he hardly drove it.

smontyLS1
08-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a rx7 and the power and torque down low are unreal.

I have not drivin an rx8, and I am not a fan of the rx8,
handling and braking may be good. but they are pretty expensive.
engine replacements in cars under 20,000km should be a sign, I wouldn't want that in the back of my mind everytime I put the pedal down.
if they came out with a turbo model..... eh maybe.
if they came out with a ls-1 model..... definitly.

BlueFrenzy
08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Thehonger8 ... as a 2004 rx8 owner, I can attest that mine, like the majority, has not had any trouble whatsoever. Seeing as that the old guy did bag it hard, I would be wary of that (any car that's been bagged hard I would be careful of). But 10000km is quite good. The "driving it hard" is what irks me about your potential car. Who ever you are buying from, get them to make sure the compression is ok, all ECU upgrades are done, check the clutch in case the old guy was doing 9000rpm clutch drops, etc.

In terms of mileage, mine gets about 17.5-19mpg all city rush hour driving. Mine doesn't drink oil that much ... perhaps 1/2 quart every 90-120 days or so.

Winter driving is fine. Just like any other RWD car. With good winter tires and traction control, you are good to go.

A790
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The HP rating is actually misleading. Mazda had a buy back because they grossly over-rated the power.

If by "grossly over-rated" you mean 12 horsepower, then yea, you're correct.

civicluva
08-31-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
It looks cool and handles OK but it feels gutless and torqueless.

Handles OK? Are you on crack? It is probably one of the best handling cars out there. It handles a billion times better than the 350Z and the only thing it lacks is torque but the 9500 redline makes up for that, it'll be right behind the Z on the highway.

And if you think I'm being biased: I owned an RX-8 for a year and right now I have a 350Z. There are a lot of things I miss from that car.

Lex350
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by civicluva

Handles OK? Are you on crack? It is probably one of the best handling cars out there. It handles a billion times better than the 350Z and the only thing it lacks is torque but the 9500 redline makes up for that, it'll be right behind the Z on the highway.

And if you think I'm being biased: I owned an RX-8 for a year and right now I have a 350Z. There are a lot of things I miss from that car.

I'm with you on the handling statement but it's still underpowered.

BlueFrenzy I don't bag my car. I just drive it over 45 km per hour...something you've only done twice.:D
THat's why you keep missing the meets....you can't keep up.:rofl:

Thehonger8
09-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the info just test drove the car and the car actually had 20,000 km and the car was in really good condition expect for one spot on the rear bumper. I love the interior. It has really good handling. Well I drive an x5 so it is a huge difference. But i have to sell my car before first.

SlowLude
09-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll chime in. I got a '05 8 and has never (knock on wood) given me any problems. I hardly even have to add any oil and I check it frequently. I get about 19mpg, which isn't bad. I've heard the mpg gets better with time. If having 4 seats is a requirement, this car would be it. Great winter car with winter tires. I'd just be careful of a used 8, esp an 04. You just never know if its been flooded before or whether the previous owner knew the tidbits of maintaining a rotary.

jsn
09-03-2007, 01:39 AM
sorry abit off topic... is this darren? I thought there was a chance you were getting an m3? :thumbsup:

RX_EVOLV
09-03-2007, 06:39 AM
'06 RX8 owner here. 21000km, no problem so far except for an O2 sensor error. Averaging ~13.4L/100km. around 10.5L/100km on highway. Usually refill the engine oil from half way after every 1400km or so, no big deal.
Otherwise very very fun car to drive, and the back seat + trunk realllly comes in handy at times. love it!!

GTS Jeff
09-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
mazda rx8's are soooo sweet!!!!
im scared of the horror stories ... especially rotten42's stories...
why not just look into a used s2000 or something???

:werd: What Mazda has tried to achieve with the RX8 has already been done by Honda with the s2k. S2k is faster, handles comparably, much more reliable, better on gas, doesn't eat oil, and isn't a 4 door (ie. looks better.) But, some people still want the "uniqueness" of a rotary...

Ekliptix
09-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Hybrid cars are unique.

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I think most people buy them for the handling and styling (not that I like how they look).

I'm not sure of the RX-8 price but I think a 350Z looks better, is more reliable, and will outperform the mazda as a rwd car.

that would be my sentiments as well, 350z are wicked.

Although I like idea of the RX-8, I have heard that the tips of the rotors (been a long time since I was in mechanics) are more prone to wear than the rings on a cylinder engine. I would think if you can get the car with a decent warranty that you will be fine.

As said before beware he '04's and dont get ANY auto, IMO, not just cause of the problems but you dont buy that car to have an auto

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Reading that review has made me want to test drive an RX-8

Who was it that bought one.... They took me for a rip in one.... Anton! He bought an 07 IIRC. Maybe send a PM his way?

SlowLude
09-03-2007, 05:08 PM
No, I'm his brother. Darren loves BMWs too much to go Japanese...

Originally posted by jsn
sorry abit off topic... is this darren? I thought there was a chance you were getting an m3? :thumbsup:

SlowLude
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Huh? Mazda set out to achieve a rotary-powered 4-seat, 4-door sports coupe and Honda has done this very task with a 2-door piston convertible S2K??!! Awesome logic!!

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd: What Mazda has tried to achieve with the RX8 has already been done by Honda with the s2k. S2k is faster, handles comparably, much more reliable, better on gas, doesn't eat oil, and isn't a 4 door (ie. looks better.) But, some people still want the "uniqueness" of a rotary...