PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Honda Stomper???????????

90_Shelby
06-29-2003, 11:16 PM
Are the CalgaryHonda boys going to have to "CRANK IT UP" a couple of notches????:D ;)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/boost-a/DSCN0990.JPG

dj_honda
06-29-2003, 11:18 PM
link dont work man

90_Shelby
06-29-2003, 11:24 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/boost-a/DSCN0991.JPG

Vitesse951
06-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Will someone please explain this post to me?

DonJuan
06-30-2003, 12:40 AM
umm, i'm not sure what he's showing, either its an engine out of a neon SRT-4 without the turbo, or sumhow he's gettin 400lb/ft of torque from the 2.4 litre dodge engine without a turbo. Either way it's a dumb thread, and I'm not worried, nor scared, so let's let him be with whatever it is he THINKS he has :thumbsup: and never mention this again.:thumbsup::werd:

^SkylinE^
06-30-2003, 12:50 AM
you can't see the turbo DonJuan I can look harder.
90_shelby what doest this thing run?? 1/4 mile???

lammer
06-30-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
you can't see the turbo DonJuan I can look harder.
90_shelby what doest this thing run?? 1/4 mile???

the turbo is in the second pic to the right hand side...

James
06-30-2003, 12:54 AM
Im guessin, when all said and done that thing shoud be in the 12-13's if not faster....lots of potential..just an ammature guess, dont qoute me on that! :D....is that the new 2.4 out of the PT cruisers etc..? :dunno:

90_Shelby
06-30-2003, 01:05 AM
The car ran 12.7 with it's old setup (T3 turbo, 8valve SOHC 5 speed), it was the Fastest FWD in Calgary, Brad Unryan took the title with his Prelude. The pics posted are the new setup ( 2.5L 16valve head conversion, T3/T4, stand alone, Auto.), there is still a lot of work and tuning but this car should be some heavy competition.................... Although 487fwhp is going to be some tough competition.;)

Shameless plug:D The car is Davenport sponsored, and it's not my car it's my bro's.

T5_X
06-30-2003, 01:06 AM
I think that is the new 2.4t. It can't be an old 2.5 or 2.2 TD engine with a newer head cause the tranny isn't an A555 (well, if it is, it has a different housing than mine)

Fluidic
06-30-2003, 01:36 AM
:jaw drop:

Sure those are nice pictures... but let's see the dyno plots, some video and some time slips! ;) LOL

Peter

Maxt
06-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Thats pretty cool....I would guess from the headlight cover its a Daytona?
How many headbolts does the 2.4l have compared to the 2.2 and 2.5? What kind of EMS does it run?
I always thought about maybe building one of those car someday, should be fun...Maxt

90_Shelby
06-30-2003, 07:57 AM
It's an old style 2.5 with a custom Neon head conversion, (A lot of custom parts and fab work.) The tranny is an auto.

Loose
06-30-2003, 10:13 AM
So what is it? An old Caravan motor?

mwmhong
06-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
either its an engine out of a neon SRT-4 without the turbo, or sumhow he's gettin 400lb/ft of torque from the 2.4 litre dodge engine without a turbo.

You can see the TURBO at the back-most side of the engine (just like on the SRT-4). :)

LancerShelby
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Loose
So what is it? An old Caravan motor? Could be. 2.5 Turbo engine's came in Caravan's, Shadow's, Daytona's, Lebaron's, Spirit/Acclaim's etc.

legendboy
06-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Looks Good!

Abom
06-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Maybe he should have properly explained what the pics were all about, instead of leaving us to guess for ourselves :thumbsdow And what's with the "Centerforce Garbage" sticker?

LancerShelby
06-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Abom
Maybe he should have properly explained what the pics were all about, instead of leaving us to guess for ourselves :thumbsdow And what's with the "Centerforce Garbage" sticker?
It leaves people guessing, that's all.
And Centerforce clutches are garbage for turbo dodge cars, they're actually worse than stock clutches.

James
06-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby

It leaves people guessing, that's all.
And Centerforce clutches are garbage for turbo dodge cars, they're actually worse than stock clutches.

Good to know!;)whats the best aftermarket clutch for the Turbo Dodge 2.2's?

90_Shelby
06-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Iroc R/T Pressure plate, with a ClutchNet disc.

T5_X
06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
lol, not that it matters on an auto. what tranny is it anyway?

What are you running for a fuel system?

90_Shelby
06-30-2003, 11:02 PM
A built 3 speed (manual valvebody etc.) out of my old 90 Shelby , with a beefed TCS converter.

As for fuel system, a pump lines and injectors.:D ;)

Walboro 255, -8 feed line, custom rail, 83lb/hr injectors and SDS.

T5_X
07-01-2003, 12:40 AM
Holy @#$%!!!!

I think it'd be an understatement to say the fastest fwd car in alberta title is yours.

How are you gonna keep that monster glued to the road?

Maxt
07-01-2003, 06:27 AM
I like the setup minus the SDS, not to sidetrack the topic to much but the SDS is overpriced old technology, I really have alot of respect for the developer of the sds system, but truthfully that EMS is outdated. When I compared it to what I saw in some Cobra cars last year compared to the the Haltech E6k( which has been around as long as the SDS), the sds looked stone age, with twisty knob hand controller, no datalogging, and no direct pwm outlets.. Australia truly rules in ems development .
I like seeing some old school domestic turbo cars being done, I am suprised there are not more, I think they have ability to run with most if not all of the imports, there are cars out there that have some pretty good factory turbo technology in them..
Mopar revised the 2.2 motors pretty good, they added head bolts and stiffened the deck to stop head lifting, and the ford svo 4 banger mustang has quite a bit of potential..
In the late 80's and early 90's (for those of you that were still playing GI joe at that time), the fwd domestic turbo scene was pretty huge and mopar performance offered factory engineered performance packages for these cars, you could get upgraded computers/turbos/heads/cams/injectors/fuel rails..etc etc.. As a long time mopar addict, I have speed magazines from that era with street driven fwd's in the 12's, and in 1989, 12's were huge even for street driven big block cars...
They don't have the bling bling factor of alot of cars, but they are fast, and they are cheap... Definetly a good way to go fast, if I ever get sick of rotaries, thats probably the car I would do next..
Hope to see it run this year..Looks good so far ...Maxt

90_Shelby
07-01-2003, 10:53 AM
I've worked with quite a few systems on the dyno and I agree, SDS isn't the best, but it gets the job done, considering a limited budget on this car.

Ford 2.3's have unbelievable potential, there are a couple of 9 second Stangs in the States and at least those engines are supported by the aftermarket..........

Pretty much all of the parts in that engine are either stock or custom built. Only the rod bolts and main studs are specifically for that engine.

P.S. The car isn't even running yet and we already have bigger plans for next year.:nut:

rage2
07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
I too agree, SDS isn't the best, but it sure does a decent job. My biggest complaints with SDS is a lack of 3d fuel and timing maps... you basically have a 1D rpm map, and a 1D pressure overlay map, which generates a fake 3D map.

But it does keep it easy... SDS is a great starter system, and it's fairly cheap compared to the others. Local support helps too. SDS tuned a base map for me before I knew anything about tuning.

As for the archaic controls, yea it's ugly, but it's convient for tuning day to day driving until it's all laid out. I definately prefer that over say... Hondata or AEM, where u have to drive around with a laptop :). After it's tuned, u can disconnect all those ugly knobs and stuff anyways.

cocoabrova
07-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Looks sweet, what's the ETA on that biotch:burnout:

Maxt
07-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah the SDS looks like its made from Radio shack parts..
Actually the price was bit of a shocker, it came out to more money than the E6K Haltech I have now, and compared to the Microtech, its a freakin ripoff now... But in the end, to SDS's credit, they said themselves, I would far better off with a haltech, they were more confident in it running a high output rotary than their own ems, since they have no trailing ignition control for it on their system..
Rage, you can unplug the laptop to yah know..:).. I keep mine plugged in as I datalog everything..
I am a big haltech fan, my car ran better than stock with that ems, I am debating on whether or not to upgrade to the E11 right now..
Waiting for someone to build a killer Volvo now, and that should about cover it...Maxt

Hollywood
07-01-2003, 11:01 PM
I dont think SDS is priced well at all! 1800'ish CAD with a few of the extra's. I'm not impressed. Especially when I can pick up a "Power FC JG Jetro" version for around 1400 CAD. IMO I pick the power FC over the haltech too. Also I tec3 is a good system similair to the haltech. But it's what works best for your car, as needs and availabilites are different.

BTW I used to own a 87 Daytona turbo Z, it blew 3 head gaskets, stock shit boost too.

T5_X
07-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

BTW I used to own a 87 Daytona turbo Z, it blew 3 head gaskets, stock shit boost too.

If it was an 87, it had to be a shelby z, last year of the turbo z was 86.

That isn't normal for the gaskets to blow like that. The only TDs that had gasket problems were the twin cam lotus head ones.

finboy
07-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood
I dont think SDS is priced well at all! 1800'ish CAD with a few of the extra's. I'm not impressed. Especially when I can pick up a "Power FC JG Jetro" version for around 1400 CAD. IMO I pick the power FC over the haltech too. Also I tec3 is a good system similair to the haltech. But it's what works best for your car, as needs and availabilites are different.

sure the head wasn't warped/cracked or you were getting sh*tty felpro replacement gaskets?

90_Shelby
07-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Twin cam engines don't have head gasket problems they have head cracking issues, and if you had head gasket problems you were using the wrong head gasket.

I've never had a head gasket failure and I ran 25 psi for 2 years, with occasional detonation.

Our budget had to include the price of a laptop which raises the initial cost of other systems.

Maxt
07-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Hollywood...
Yes the PFC is plug and pray on alot of cars, the nice thing about the other systems, is that you get a brand new "emissions" free harness, which is nice thing when your car is teenager and little rough around the edges..
The thing about the PFC is you still have to buy other sensors to run real boost, you still need a seperate dataloggit, and its Apexi, which means support will be piss poor if something breaks on it..
You should check into a microtech,its half the price of the PFC..Maxt

Joe Malms
07-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Actually, apexi only sells the power fc with the commander. Which is neat for quick reference but a bitch to tune with.
Apexi would not release the pc software or anything to communicate with a computer.
So, annoyed with apexi's ignorance, some fellas in new zealand created the FC datalogit box and software to accompany it.
It lets you acces basically every last thing within the power fc (not at all possible through the commander key pad) and makes it a pretty in depth stand alone management system, at least for a plug and play unit.
But you're right, you do have to buy GM 3bar map sensors to run any "REAL" boost. And you are stuck with relying on some of the at times, less accurate stock sensors.

check out more info on the datalogit here:
http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/fc-datalogit.html

1mns13
09-01-2003, 11:06 AM
How do I find more info on mocrotech ems? I also have been considering Power FC, but have been looking at cheaper options, i.e. no Z32 AFM needed.