PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop help

Ekliptix
07-27-2002, 11:19 PM
I need to know how to apply a gradient mask. I havn't used mask before, but what I'm trying to do is apply a filter(crystalize) but I want the crystal effect to be unseen at one end of the image and strong at the other end, like a gradient.

ne1 know?

Thanks

Superesc
07-27-2002, 11:23 PM
on the layer palette, there's a Mask icon on the bottom of the palette. (right beside the new layer icon), SELECT the layer you want to apply the mask in the layer palette then click on the Mask icon. this will create the mask on the layer. Select the mask in the layer palette and use the gradient tool. Mask are GRAYSCALE BASE, Black means the masking part, and white is the part that will be onscreen... You can also use the brush to brush out the part you want and the part you want.

Yea I know this sounds confusing... but hope this helps ... somewhat.. heh

Ekliptix
07-27-2002, 11:42 PM
hmmm, I'm having trouble.
I'm trying to create this crystalize gradient onto a layer. I selected the layer in the layers menu, clicked on the "add a mask" button, then double clicked on the "layer thumbnail", and made a "gradient overlay" effect.
All that happened was the black to white gradient dominated the image.
What am I not doing?

Superesc
07-28-2002, 12:28 AM
You have to click on the MASK thumbnail to USE the mask, Not the Layer Thumbnail. (it should be right bside the Layer Thumbnail.)

Ekliptix
07-28-2002, 12:48 AM
ok, so after I select the layer mask thumbnail, I go to layer->new fill layer->gradient? also when do I select the filter i want to use?

THanks

Superesc
07-28-2002, 12:29 PM
after you fill it? anytime? usually I use the tool palette, there should be a greaident tool there??? once you make the gradient, use the filter on the mask.

Ekliptix
07-28-2002, 01:14 PM
sorry, this is not working. can you give me exact step by step commands?