PDA

View Full Version : University Students: 2008 summer employment search begins now.

Crymson
08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Just a reminder to the University students on beyond.ca, especially those interested in geology and geophysics.

90% of Oil and Gas job posting for the summer of 2008 are in SEPTEMBER, with most resume submittance deadlines by the 27th or 28th of september, with inteviews and contracts going out in October for start dates of May, 2008.

Even though this summer is just ending, you need to begin preparing for next summer soon. Start checking the career centres and job postings daily as soon as you get back to school if you're interested.

Also, a reminder. There is a career fair on September 26th.

I'm going to double post this in both Careers and School sections.

toyboy88
08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for posting.

Good to know as a first year student.

Cheers.

Crymson
08-30-2007, 09:03 AM
As a first year student, some of the more technical positions may not be available to you. However, definatly make your rounds during the career fair, and talk to as many industry professionals as you can about their work. They're happy to talk, and it's a good way to start planning your focus of study.

Most oil and gas summer student positions are for those students who've finished their second or third year of their program and have begun taking specialized classes in their fields.

Engineering students are generally required to do "co-op"s through their colleges and employers, but most bachelor of science students don't have that level of organization so they have to start job hunting earlier and more independently.

crazydriver
08-30-2007, 09:25 AM
:thumbsup: thanks for the heads up, i nearly forgot it was recuiting time for the oil & gas.

Nav13
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
This is really good to know, I am going into my 3rd year of Geophysics and I totally missed the boat last year. I never knew most places had a deadline around sept 27/28, I would have screwed up again this year, I thought it was around october/november. Again thanks for posting.

Crymson
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Nav, clear out your inbox. I just wrote a giant ass pm to you, only to have it bounced back.

ashee
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Are there any websites that will have them posted? ie: the company themselves?

Crymson
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.ucalgary.ca/careers/students/index.html

Check job posting every day. You can *probably* also sign up to have new postings emailed to you.

Nav13
08-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Nav, clear out your inbox. I just wrote a giant ass pm to you, only to have it bounced back.

Its all cleared now, sorry about that, my brother uses this account too, didnt check my inbox for awhile.

Nitron88
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually they will have one on Sept 25 as well at the university. I will be there recruiting students as well as to provide a general overview for those interested in the oil industry.

If you have a comp sci or comp. engineering background and have good communication skills, come down to the career fair, I would like to see you for a possible position beginning next year.

Crymson
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP kids. Pass the word, if you want a good job next summer, start hitting the career center now.

Nav13
09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I am about to send off my applications to some companies in the next couple of days, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question I had. Most of the job postings ask for a cover letter, resume and your latest transcripts. Thats all fine, its just that how do you send your transcripts through email? Is there an option to have your transcripts sent to your email from the uofc that I am not seeing? or is there some unofficial transcript you can get through peoplesoft? Are there any students out there who have already done this who could help me out.

TNation
09-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
I am about to send off my applications to some companies in the next couple of days, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question I had. Most of the job postings ask for a cover letter, resume and your latest transcripts. Thats all fine, its just that how do you send your transcripts through email? Is there an option to have your transcripts sent to your email from the uofc that I am not seeing? or is there some unofficial transcript you can get through peoplesoft? Are there any students out there who have already done this who could help me out.

I wonder this as well..

blinkme_210
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
You should be able to get unofficial transcripts from your online UofC thingy.... Most employers will accept that in lieu of an official transcripts signed by the registrar. Just tell them you will send an official copy afterwards.

Crymson
09-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Get an unofficial transcript unless its specified in the job posting - i can't see many people requiring and official transpcript, you should be able to get this from the secretary of your department, it's just a barebones printout of your courses and grades. Then simply scan it and attach it as a legible .jpeg to your application.

BananaFob
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.haskayne.ucalgary.ca/services/careercentre/events/HaskayneEvent.2007-07-13.4639594981

This is hosted by AIESEC Calgary and is the largest career fair on campus. It will be on Sept 25th. All the major O&G companies will be there.

zyketti
09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
sorry, kind of irrevalent here
i currently attend mcgill u, and have started in the major of anatomy and cell biology(2nd year)
i was wondering what kind of summer job i could get out of this?
i've worked for shell canada as an internship last summer, and the past summer i bummed around volunteering
i'm looking for more of a professional job likei had in shell canada (even though i was a general duties clerk -_- it still looks good in resume)
anyone know any information for a science student getting a professional summer job?

WWJAI
09-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I realize this thread was made of university students..but does anybody know if the oil and gas companies will be looking for SAIT students at this time right now too? I've looked on the SAIT job center but companies haven't posted on there to looking for 2008 summer students.

Crymson
09-17-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.ucalgary.ca/careers/students/career_fairs/science_engg_career_fair.html

I'm going to be at the Science and Engineering Career fair on the 26th.

Just as a heads up, MOST employers will NOT take your resume at the career fair. It wouldn't hurt to bring a few, but don't be upset when you're re-directed to and online application or to email your resume in.

xxjessmicaxx
10-08-2007, 09:52 PM
:clap: