PDA

View Full Version : Gym membership vs home

TimG
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
I've been thinking about dumping my Y membership which is about $600/year and getting an adjustable bench and some powerblock dumbells to do my weight training at home.

I don't have a problem getting motivated to work out at home - when I lived in Ottawa I had a home gym and used it pretty much every day.

Has anyone else done this? How much would I be looking at for an adjustable bench that can do incline and decline and has some ankle bracing bars so I can do decline crunches? what would a set of powerblock dumbells run me locally?

Thanks

Tim

BrknFngrs
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
do you think just that equipment would be sufficient for your workouts? I think if i was going to plan to workout solely at home i would add to your list, at minimum, a full cage for lifting, would i would think is quite expensive

ecstasy_civic
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Power blocks are like $250, but limited to 52lbs

Personally, im going to set up a gym at home and forget the membership, its just too busy at the gym and this way I dont have to rush home from work to make it there.

Euro_Trash
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I have way more motivation at home for some reason too, just because it is right there.

shakalaka
08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
It's not even the motivation factor for me. It's just the gym has everything you need for every individual muscle. It's just really hard to gather all the equipment at home.

TimG
08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
One of my main reasons is because the gym is busy. I go to the Eau Claire Y at lunchtime and usually spend more time waiting around for equipment than actually working out.

the Shawnessy Y is like that too, and it's full of kids in the evening dicking around on the equipment and the hours suck.

ecstasy_civic: I checked the powerblocks web site and they say that their blocks are expandable up to 130 lbs.

What are some good places in town that have this kind of stuff available?

bamboo403
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I dumped my membership at golds. Went to fitness depot on blackfoot. Bought 100 lbs 1 EZ curl bar 2 dumbell bars 1 pump and 1 workout ball and I only spent $120. I still need a 6 foot bar and another 50 lbs. But that will still only cost another $40.
They are supposed to be the cheapest in the city.

ChokeEmOut
08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I vouch for fitness depot on blackfoot aswell.
Cheap fitness equip!

pinoyhero
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Ya Im thinking of a home gym but in addition to my regular membership just to:

a. switch it up from time to time
b. have complete flexibility to work out when I want (getting up at 5 to go to the gym is insane to me, but I think I could drag my ass down stairs)

If I were doing the hom gym thing I would be after high quality:

Mats and Medicine Balls for core drills
Cage with and Olympic Bar and Weights to do squats/deads and power moves (as well as chins)
5-50 AND 55-90 selectable dumbells
An adjustable bench
At least 2 cardio pieces (probably a bike and and eliptical)
A mirror to check form
A decent home system for tunes (NOT A TV!)

Pretty pricey but with all that you'd pretty much be done but would stll need a lifting partner.