PDA

View Full Version : Winter jacket?

Trini
08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty new to Calgary and winter weather conditions so forgive me if I sound clueless.:dunno:
I'm looking for a new winter jacket/coat..what should I look for, should I buy online or in a store and what prices should I expect.

ashee
08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Helly Hansen $300+

eina15
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't know where you've moved from, so I am not sure what you are used to or what your definition of 'cold' is....but I've lived here all my life and I still think the winters are freaking cold.

Temps can dip down to -40 with windchill, or up to +10 if we get a Chinook (or, both within the same day!). I'd say avg. temps range around -10? You'd be best off to have maybe 2 or 3 different coats, ranging from light to heavy-duty. And gloves. And a hat.

Can't really help you with where to buy.,....but hope that helps ;)

Oh, and welcome to Calgary :)

nagooro
08-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Id recommend those down/feather filled ones. They can get quite expensive, so I would try a few different stores.
Northface (I think thats the brand) makes some pretty good ones.

Trini
08-30-2007, 01:48 PM
^thanks man..I spent last winter here, got a winter jacket but the filling or whatever it is inside is coming out so time to buy a new one..I've felt the -40 and words cant describe it..

will have a look at the helly hansen products.

snowboard
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Foursquare or Special Blend :)

teggypimp95
08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Mountain equipment on 10th ave down town has some good out door sporting gear. You could get a very good warm jacket there. There stuff is made well also.

aram1000
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
North Face jackets are good, I've had one for 2 seasons now and its great, its a 3 in 1, which is nice because you can use the fleece lining as a fall jacket too

sputnik
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't buy a North Face. They are incredibly over rated and fall apart.

Go to MEC (Mountain Equipment CO-OP) and they will help you out.

Canmorite
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by aram1000
North Face jackets are good, I've had one for 2 seasons now and its great, its a 3 in 1, which is nice because you can use the fleece lining as a fall jacket too

+1 for North Face. I've skied with their jackets for years. Their down jackets are soooo comfy.

Get a good toque and gloves, too.

snow_daniel
08-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
Foursquare or Special Blend :)
They are for people who go to snowboard :thumbsup:

icecreamvan
08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I prefer MEC, HellyH and Patagonia.:thumbsup:

codetrap
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
What.. nobody recommending columbia jackets? I've had great luck with their Titanium 3-in1's.

4 years now and it still works great. With a new fleece every 2 years of course. :D

natejj
08-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
What.. nobody recommending columbia jackets? I've had great luck with their Titanium 3-in1's.

4 years now and it still works great. With a new fleece every 2 years of course. :D

Titanium 3 in 1's great if you dont mind shelling out $500 for a jacket....

Lagerstatten.ca
08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
There's this one Arcteryx jacket that's insanely expensive $600+ but it's compact like a softshell and it's rated to -35 or something like that.

I believe Out There and Coast Mountain can order it in for you.

Otherwise I would hit up MEC and try it out their gear.

Euro_Trash
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Don't buy a North Face. They are incredibly over rated and fall apart.

Go to MEC (Mountain Equipment CO-OP) and they will help you out.

You're crazy, North Face is the shit

CivicTunr
08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by snow_daniel

They are for people who go to snowboard :thumbsup:

true they are mostly a snowboarding company. but IMO, you dont snowboard in anything above 0, except for spring skiing. my 686 jacket, is nice to wear to school. keeps me warm, ive also worn a Airblaster jacket riding at -40, and i was warm. So they will keep you warm in calgary weather too. Also on cold days, a neck warmer is nice.

asp integra
08-30-2007, 05:57 PM
go to fresh sports in kensington, really good ski store with lots of good coats, and prices are very good :thumbsup:

szw
08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Depends what you really do outside. I don't even really own a winter jacket, at least not like the ones you guys are describing.

Canmorite
08-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
There's this one Arcteryx jacket that's insanely expensive $600+ but it's compact like a softshell and it's rated to -35 or something like that.

I believe Out There and Coast Mountain can order it in for you.

Otherwise I would hit up MEC and try it out their gear.

Arcteryx is the way to go if you can afford it. I have a soft shell from them that I put under my jacket when skiing if its really cold. Best combo out there...

Hakkola
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by szw
Depends what you really do outside. I don't even really own a winter jacket, at least not like the ones you guys are describing.

:werd: I haven't used a winter jacket in Calgary for a few years since I drive and am rarely outside for more than 5 minutes at a time in the winter, so I just wear a sweater and a leather jacket. If you're not waiting for a bus or doing extensive work or walking, don't waste your money.

SOAB
08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:werd: I haven't used a winter jacket in Calgary for a few years since I drive and am rarely outside for more than 5 minutes at a time in the winter, so I just wear a sweater and a winter jacket.

anybody else confused by this post? :nut:

Hakkola
08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

anybody else confused by this post? :nut:

LOL, sorry, long day at work, I meant leather jacket.

mekeni
08-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Helly Hansen or MEC..

Btw, I only wear winter jackets in the mountain

Canmorite
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
Helly Hansen or MEC..

Btw, I only wear winter jackets in the mountain

Yea, because it only gets cold there.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
I have an Orage winter jacket and it is by far the best coat I've ever owned. Made super well, light, and extremely warm.

BlackArcher101
08-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Arcteryx is the way to go if you can afford it. I have a soft shell from them that I put under my jacket when skiing if its really cold. Best combo out there...

For anyone looking at getting a Arcteryx jacket, this website http://www.steepandcheap.com/ usually has a few of them per day at huge discounts. I've ordered a few things off this site and it's very fast.

They also have quite a bit of sports gear including snowboards, bindings, boots.. sometimes for 80% off.

Only downside is you have to monitor the website or else you might miss a deal.

ricosuave
08-31-2007, 08:19 PM
cool site BA101, thanks

Myers
08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I have had northface for the last few years, I have a down vest that is amazing when its -15 out, and you really only need a hoody under it!

I also have one of their jackets with a fleece lining and that is by far the warmest jacket I have ever worn..

+1 for North Face!

MEC is so similar now that there really isnt a difference in both the price and the quality. Its really whatever name you prefer... IMO that is..

alloroc
08-31-2007, 09:47 PM
MEC is good, and believe it or not Mark's work wearhouse has some very warm downfilled work jackets. I have one from Mark's down filled and canvas exterior probably 5 years old now and looks and feels the same as the day I bought it - I only break it out once it gets below -20 otherwise it is just too warm.

This one also looks like a great deal ...
http://www2.marks.com/products.asp?categoryID=387
Only drawback is there is no hood. A parka with a nice big hood will keep you much warmer.

icecreamvan
09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I hope you're right. I just bought an Arcteryx softshell today that I was told should be good until -15ish. The North Face equivalent was almost 1/3 of the price.

jay42w8
09-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

true they are mostly a snowboarding company. but IMO, you dont snowboard in anything above 0, except for spring skiing. my 686 jacket, is nice to wear to school. keeps me warm, ive also worn a Airblaster jacket riding at -40, and i was warm. So they will keep you warm in calgary weather too. Also on cold days, a neck warmer is nice.

what styles are in this year? I prefer the board jackets because they actually look good....what are good stores to go to in Calgary, I've only seen that one at 17th ave and 8st SW

CivicTunr
09-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8

what styles are in this year? I prefer the board jackets because they actually look good....what are good stores to go to in Calgary, I've only seen that one at 17th ave and 8st SW

anywhere is good for a snowboard jacket.
i do not know which styles are in this winter. but there are a few good snowboard shops.

Mission Snow + skate, across from western canada on 17th ave Beside wicked wedge.

Mission Snow + skate, in kensington.

Unlmtd in banff.