PDA

View Full Version : Laptop format

HiSpec
08-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I purchase a laptop not long ago, and after a while playing with Vista. I am considering going back to XP64.

Now my question is, do I just simply format my harddrive and just do a straight XP installation like I would do on a desktop??

Also, my laptop also have this "hidden" restore-partition on my C drive. When I format my harddrive will that be gone as well? ANd is it a good idea to get rid of the restore-partition even though I have a back up copy of the restore-partition on a DVD.

Thanks

Xaroxantu Zero
08-30-2007, 02:11 PM
If you don't touch the restore partition then it would stay intact. You can simply format your regular-use partition and install XP on it by booting via the install DVD.

It's up to you if you want to keep the restore partition or not. Unless you have a constant space issue then go ahead and merge the two partitions together.

cityhunter2501
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
If you don't touch the restore partition then it would stay intact. You can simply format your regular-use partition and install XP on it by booting via the install DVD.

It's up to you if you want to keep the restore partition or not. Unless you have a constant space issue then go ahead and merge the two partitions together.
restore partition is only if you want to restore the original image of the OS+programs installed on your laptop.

I personally erase it as I dont use it anyway.
split your HDD into multiple partition, with the main OS on C:\ personal files on D:\

boxer23
08-30-2007, 03:35 PM
DONT DO IT. IT MIGHT FRY YOUR COMPUTER
WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER IT
imho

drew_goring
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
imho

:confused: :confused: :bullshit:

dr_jared88
08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
imho

uhhhh yea it does. at least for HP, Compaq, Acer, Gateway, Toshiba, Sony and eMachine it does. I'm a technician and have seen many computers come in with the partition wiped and they are still covered by warranty. As long as you dont open the laptop or physically abuse it you're ok

boxer23
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
lol sorry , i meant that the stores wont take them back, but i thought i should just warn people

Ashkente
08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
lol sorry , i meant that the stores wont take them back, but i thought i should just warn people

Yes they will...:rolleyes:

drew_goring
08-30-2007, 07:01 PM

Unless the software is what caused the problem, it doesn't matter.

I'm still wondering how you can "fry your computer" doing a re-format?:confused:

HiSpec
08-30-2007, 10:58 PM
The restore partition is on a seperate drive, that is not accessable thru now shown on My Computer. But you can see it using Vista's Disk Management.
Does anyone know the reason behind that?

dr_jared88
08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Yea, its a hidden partition

boredengineer
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
imho

The worse that can happen is the technical support reps tell you they will not help you after you go and wipe your partition table... Really though you should not be needing technical support if you can actually format a disk and repartition it...