PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet popcorn

Repofspeed
08-31-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm thinking about buying a higher end popcorn popper (100-200 $ price range) , does anyone have any recommendations to get movie theater style popcorn at home ?

Tik-Tok
09-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Pop it 2 hours in advance, put way too much "butter" like substance on it, and stare at it in the machine for 20 minutes while pretending you're in a real movie concession line.

icecreamvan
09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Don't forget to cough in the vacinity every other batch.

Kobe
09-02-2007, 03:30 PM
When i worked back at famous players like 5 years ago, we could take those huge bags from the popcorn machine's home, like all of the popcorn, if you know anyone that works at one, just ask them to take you a bag home. That is if the still let them take it home...

Paul
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm a huge popcorn buff, and it took me (well actually my wife cooks it) 2 years to perfect the process. No need in getting an expensive popcorn popper - what you need will cost you less than $30.

I remember seeing them at Superstore - it's a handcrank popcorn popper that goes on the stove. Inside theres a stick that you spin around that pushes the kernals through the oil (no theatre uses air-pop).

As for the popcorn - get the "Jolly Time" yellow pop corn (I get it at IGA/Sobey's). The oil we use actually comes from a company based out of Edmonton. They're always at the Home & Garden Show's at the roundup centre. They always have a huge booth offering samples of their pop-corn.

I think you can order their oil online (I'll post the website when I get home). They also include the salt (it's hella salty) that you need.

This makes the exact same thing as theatre popcorn. Once you're done that I'll show you how to make a 10.5 ft. home theatre screen like mine.

Schwa
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Pop it 2 hours in advance, put way too much "butter" like substance on it, and stare at it in the machine for 20 minutes while pretending you're in a real movie concession line.

Ahahahaha :rofl:

Then mail tik-tok $10 everytime you use it so you can feel ripped off too

Paul
09-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Here's the contact info on where to buy the oil i mentioned in a previous post:

Popcorn Plus
10972 124 Street NW,
Edmonton, AB
T5M 0H8
Canada
(780) 488-5100

I'm running low on oil too, so maybe we should get a beyond.ca popcorn oil group buy going

:thumbsup