PDA

View Full Version : Removing cat?

GGTTSS-44
08-31-2007, 11:30 PM
How bad is it for the environment to remove the catalatyc convertor and add a straight pipe?

After about 100xxx kilometers does the cat even still work as effectively as before?

I'm just curious if I should straight pipe my cat, I know I'll gaine performance and sound, however. I don't want to do it if its going to severelly increase environmental damage.. On the other hand, if my vehicle is already poluting due to a craped cat, I may aswell just pipe it for a hundred bucks.

Lucky97
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
straight pipe is ganna be loud as fuck.

i say leave the cat on and no to straight cat:thumbsdow

GGTTSS-44
08-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Straight piping the cat will not be much louder.
I still have my exhaust and resonator.. the Resonator is what muffles the sound, removing the cat will just give performance gain.

I have a fujitsibo exhaust and its quite next to stock right off the bat. Plus my vehicle won't sound like a screaming honda.. its an inline 6 with about 300HP...

Dayclone
08-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Illegal?

and hard to sell? espcially when you want an inspection done?

inline6turbo
08-31-2007, 11:59 PM
nah, i had straight back on my gtst-m and it wasnt much louder, kinda quieter actually, gotta have the right muffler to get the best sound though.
but seriously skylines are so bad for the environment anyways, you won't be saving any trees whether you put it on or take it off lol

civicluva
09-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Lucky97
straight pipe is ganna be loud as fuck.

i say leave the cat on and no to straight cat:thumbsdow

On a turbo engine it won't make it THAT much louder. On my old car I had a 2. 5 straight pipe (no cat, no res) to a twin tip muffler and it was quiet like you wouldn't believe. It'll get louder if you increase the pipe diameter, chopping out the cat won't be much difference except your turbo will breathe better.

Nav13
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
my prelude doesnt have a cat its straight piped. i hate the sound of it. sounds like shit. im actaully looking to get one put on. i bought it like that. but you do get some good power without it

-Jay21-
09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by GGTTSS-44
Straight piping the cat will not be much louder.
I still have my exhaust and resonator.. the Resonator is what muffles the sound, removing the cat will just give performance gain.

I have a fujitsibo exhaust and its quite next to stock right off the bat. Plus my vehicle won't sound like a screaming honda.. its an inline 6 with about 300HP...

You have a catback and a downpipe, so putting on a test pipe will make your car pretty loud, trust me I know :thumbsup:

diggity
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't take it off unless you know someone to pass a saftey for you.

Or if your not switching insurance anytime soon then it won't really matter.

GGTTSS-44
09-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm keeping it on.
Thanks guys.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Alberta doesn't legally require a catalytic converter I thought...?

We don't really have any emissions standards IIRC