PDA

View Full Version : Cable question? Is it worth it?

ZMan2k2
09-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Okay, so right now, I have an older HD box (single tuner) and I'm getting some digital channels and the HD basic, and I'm paying for basic cable. I know this is a billing error on Shaw's part, and I've been this way for about a year now. However, with the new NHL season coming up, not to mention NFL starting here, college ball on the weekend, etc., I'm thinking of moving up to the full package programming, getting all the HD channels, including the sports networks, and getting the newer box. Right now, I'm paying around $70 for what I've got, and I'd be paying around $110 if I move up my bundle.

Would you do it? Is it worth the $40 a month for the channels, sports, and such? Or am I crazy for wanting to give Shaw more money?:nut:

Hakkola
09-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Doesn't sound like any billing error, you get some digital channels free with any digital box, and hd basic is free, by basic channels do you mean up to 22, or do you mean classic cable, (which is up to 50 something plus other randoms)?

ZMan2k2
09-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm paying for basic, but I get Full cable, plus some random digital channels. So I'm paying $30, should be paying $55, thinking of paying $65. Does that make any sense?

The Cosworth
09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I have basic cable and it is 29.95.

I got 2-22 plus some higher channels.

Also I guess it is how much you like to watch the sports, and how good your TV is. If you have a <40" CTR then I would say no, if you have a nice big plasma it is up to you if $480 a year is worth it.

hedge
09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Depends on what you watch. I have the full tier and many of the shows i watch are on national geographic and discovery. It looks great.

If you're an NFL fan, that's probably the best hd picture I've seen. Hockey's pretty good in HD but not as good as football.

Golf's also pretty nice in HD.

I personally think it's worth it since the extra HD costs me $13 a month, I can blow $13 on junk food.

Proboscis
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
don't mean to hijack, but when does analog the signal from Shaw go out?

Xtrema
09-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis
don't mean to hijack, but when does analog the signal from Shaw go out?

Probably not for another decade.

There's no mandate to clear VHF/UHF bands in Canada. So as long as there's analog TV in people's hands, there's need for the service.

Also, I hate Shaw's Motorola terminals. They all sucks. Why can't they just give us CableCards and let us geeks do our own PVR? The Motorola box is just frustrating.

01RedDX
09-11-2007, 12:03 AM