PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a house with potential basement suite

Kaos
09-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I've been looking all over the net but majority of places I'm looking at right now, doesn't have a walkout (or seperate entrance) for a basement suite.
I've googled some places, checked out mls and we list but all of them are for rent.
I'm looking for a house that has potential for a legal suite to rent out.

Is there any sites that you guys would know that can single out houses that have basement suites for sale?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

tictactoe2004
09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Does it have to be legal? You can convert most bi-levels and have two entrances to the house. That's what my friend did and he's doing quite well off it. Just find a 1200+ sq foot bi-level and you can make it work great.

max_boost
09-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Just search for specific communities that have R2 zoning. Most, if not all inner-city areas are R2. Do you have any friends that work in real estate? Get their password and go searching

Anything out in the suburbs will more than likely be R1 and you have to be very careful with trying to get away with renting upper+lower. It all depends if the neighbor complains or not. The City will show up and ask you to remove all the 220V electrical components. It's a hassle.

TomcoPDR
09-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The City will show up and ask you to remove all the 220V electrical components. It's a hassle.

Even the ones you use for washer/dryer?

max_boost
09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
^^^
That should be fine. It's the stove for cooking that is the main issue I believe.

Tik-Tok
09-02-2007, 06:07 PM
The City will show up and ask you to remove all the 220V electrical components. It's a hassle.

Not just the 220, they'll also make you remove all the resemblance of a kitchen, my neighbor had to remove EVERYTHING when another neighbor complained, sinks, cupboards, etc.

max_boost
09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
^^^

Oh really? That's rough! I wonder if that is done at the Inspector's discretion?

When we lived in Penbrooke, they just told us to remove the stove + electrical and that was it. We had a big family at the time so my grandparents just did the cooking upstairs and brought it downstairs afterwards.

Tik-Tok
09-02-2007, 11:15 PM
^^^

Oh really? That's rough! I wonder if that is done at the Inspector's discretion?

I know the city told him to remove it all, he tried fighting, went through all the red tape and proceeding's. But I guess when it comes down to it, it's the inspectors "discretion" when he comes to make sure it was removed, lol. He now has the nicest cupboards I've ever seen in a garage though. :rofl:

Chris88CL
09-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Anyone know who to call to report such an offense? :poosie:

cocoabrova
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
I've been looking all over the net but majority of places I'm looking at right now, doesn't have a walkout (or seperate entrance) for a basement suite.
I've googled some places, checked out mls and we list but all of them are for rent.
I'm looking for a house that has potential for a legal suite to rent out.

Is there any sites that you guys would know that can single out houses that have basement suites for sale?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

yooooo clean out yer PM box and/or call me foo:poosie: