PDA

View Full Version : Shaved head: professional or not in the office?

Chim
09-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Would you say someone with a shaved head looks less professional in an office environment than someone with hair? (ie. combover :rofl: )

Hakkola
09-02-2007, 05:15 PM
For someone who is balding or just regular guy? Shaved to the skin or kind of a buzz cut look? I don't think it looks less professional, but it could depend on what the person looks like.

Chim
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Regular guy, shaved to the skin

BigMass
09-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Chim
Would you say someone with a shaved head looks less professional in an office environment than someone with hair? (ie. combover :rofl: )

i can't wait for our generation (30 years old) to take over management positions so these questions never have to get asked again!

btw, go shaved. Combovers suck. Wear an earing too and get a tatoo. This aint 1982 anymore.

2000_SI
09-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Shave it Chimmy, I had my head Bic'd at my last office job, and so did our franchise sales guy, No one saw it as a problem, since we still dressed and acted professional

pinoyhero
09-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Not a big issue IMO, if your bald there's no choice, just do it, but if you're not you may get the "skinhead" comment.

Tik-Tok
09-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

Wear an earing too and get a tatoo. This aint 1982 anymore.

Tat's are NOT professional in a white collar business. If you were faced with dealing with a potential partner that had zero visable tatoo's, and one that had full sleeve's, which would you pick?

I think shaved to the skin is still kind of on the fringe, but shaved really short is decent. Combovers are definately the worst of all.

theken
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
having a tattoo doesn't make you less of a person, personally i would take the tattooed guy over the non tattooed guy, but what are long sleeve dress shirts good for if not to cover tats?
lets say you pick a partner based on his not having tattoos that you can see, and ends up with full sleeves under his shirt, would you change your mind?

Tik-Tok
09-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by theken
having a tattoo doesn't make you less of a person, personally i would take the tattooed guy over the non tattooed guy, but what are long sleeve dress shirts good for if not to cover tats?
lets say you pick a partner based on his not having tattoos that you can see, and ends up with full sleeves under his shirt, would you change your mind?

I'm not saying their less of a person, but all else being equal, professional looks will win 99% of the time. A black, blowup doll loving, emo guy (see Ask Leo for reference) could be a mathmatical genius, and be the best financial advisor in the world... but would you trust one with your money over a clean cut looking person?

bulaian
09-02-2007, 06:57 PM
shave it

I shaved mine, boss says it looks great, other managers above them agreed :thumbsup:

broken_legs
09-02-2007, 10:24 PM
OK im really bored so heres my take on the issue. I work with a bald guy and he looks professional.

http://images.angelnexus.com/mccoach_cnbc.jpg
^^ I would give this guy my money... I practically do already LOL

And look at all these cool bald people:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3075784/2/istockphoto_3075784_businessman.jpg

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/11/25/23502511.jpg

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2669606/2/istockphoto_2669606_business_handshake.jpg
^^ Who wouldnt want to do business with this guy

http://haloimages.com/imgs/SF00714_FPO_PREV.jpg
^^ This guy looks good in the office AND in the alley

http://www.andrewseltz.com/images/bald_andy.jpg

I think baldness adds some distinction and presence

Hard not to be taken seriously when you're the bald guy

Heres my perfect example:

http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_muppets8_1d.jpg

Seriously...!

TomcoPDR
09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
^^^:rofl:

I think shaving is fine, 2 years ago there was a girl working at a car dealership we worked in; she cuts hair on the side on Satuardays (for the salesman, mechanic, etc... right in the wash bay, lol) and they (including boss) dared me to shave my head bald, to the skin, each person offered $5 if I did it... so I got a free hair cut and $35 from the whole thing.

dr_jared88
09-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I think it also depends on the age and shape of the head. I know bald on me wouldnt look good due to the shape of my head. You need a little bit bigger head for it to look good imo. also if you're too young then people automatically make assumptions about you.

but all that said, if you dress it up with some nice dress pants and a dress shirt I don't think it looks bad at all.

BlackArcher101
09-02-2007, 11:34 PM
I shave to the skin and work in an office, have meetings as well. I've found that as long as you don't have Tattoo's or Piercings visible on your head, then you are good to go.

WWJAI
09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I shaved my head when I was working in an office...not to the point where it was only my scalp left but I only had maybe a couple mm's of hair. At no point did it ever cross my mind to even think it was unprofessional. But then again, I did start the position with a shaved head already. It's my choice to choose what type of hairstyle I want.

Antonito
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Think of it like if you were trying to attract a classy girl. With a shaved head, do you look like a thug or Nazi? Some people just have those kinds of faces when paired with a shaved head, be honest with yourself when assessing. Otherwise, basically as long as you don't look like a hard boiled egg, you're good to go. Being shaved in and of itself is not unprofesional

And as for the tattoos, the problem with the whole "I don't care what people think of me" attitude is pretty fucking stupid when getting a job is based mostly on WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF YOU. Especially when the majority of popular body parts to get a tattoo on can easily be covered up with a dress shirt. If you can't have the foresight to consider how a tattoo on your forearms or neck might affect future employment, what other seemingly simple things are you not willing to take into consideration? I'm not bagging on tattoos, but if you get a giant flaming skull on each hand and expect tp get a job at the bank, you aren't really in touch with reality

240SX17
09-03-2007, 10:00 PM
i think it looks more pro to be frank with you. reason is balding is for older people and i would trust someone older cuz they know more, but then again tatos on a bald guy arent so pro, but no tats and bald ina suit is pro

HyperZell
09-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Henry, is that you? Don't worry about it man, you're smooth enough to pull off the shaved look!

Chim
09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
Henry, is that you? Don't worry about it man, you're smooth enough to pull off the shaved look!

yea its me, who is this? O_o

i've been pullin the shaved look for a while, tried to grow it back out for campus recruiting but failed miserably because its only 1cm long now haha

wondering if i should just shave it again or leave it, gotta land that job!

Masked Bandit
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Nothing wrong with shaved at all.....if you've got the right head. Some guys look good and some guys just look like idiots.

benyl
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
don't shave it. Do a cul-de-sac a-la rage2 !!!

sexualbanana
09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by benyl
don't shave it. Do a cul-de-sac a-la rage2 !!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Like most hair styles, as long as you're diligent in maintaining it, it's fine.

MrSector9
09-16-2007, 07:51 PM
pfft comb over all the way....

moustache and comb over....

theken
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
I'm not bagging on tattoos, but if you get a giant flaming skull on each hand and expect tp get a job at the bank, you aren't really in touch with reality
sorry about bringing this post up again, but, this is funny, i work with a guy that has skull tats on his hands, a giant like foot long goatee and is bald, and guess what he used to do. work at a bank, haha, he was the manager also, and had the tattoos for years, he quit there a while ago though, but i just read this and thought it was funny