PDA

View Full Version : 11 hours to burn a DVD?

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey everyone,

I have recently gotten my DVD writer to work and I am running Nero Ultra 7.

I am burning a TV show series, (! hour episodes) and I can get 5 to a DVD

I have picture menu, and an MP3 playing at the menu screen. All of the burned DVD's I have created work perfectly.

For some reason my burn times are rediculous! First DVD was 4 hours, next one was 6 hours, and finally last night it took 11 hours to burn 5 episodes to one.

am I doing this wrong/is there a faster way to do this? COuld it be the type of DVD's that I have which is causing it to be so slow?

thanks for your help in advance.

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
It could be converting the episodes into video_ts folder format for a good chunk of that time, then burning for the last bit.

two things, look at the DVD writer when it first starts to burn and see if the light goes on, my guess is that it wont because it will be encoding. Second what speed are you burning at? 2x is a bit overkill although i usually do it around here, 4x works fine, 1x IMO is useless

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
yeah it is quite odd,

when it burns it transcodes for like 10 of the 11 hours - i.e. no light, (on Nero you can see that it plays every movie, every frame which really slows down my computer). For the remaining 1 hour it actually sounds like the DVD writer is working.

apparently write speed is 18x according to drive information

so do movies have to be transcoded in order to work in my DVD player?

dr_jared88
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
When you play DVD's do they play choppy too? If so I know your problem. Follow these steps:

1: Right click My Computer and click 'Manage'
2: Click 'Device Manager'
3. Expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'
4. Right Click and Unistall both the primary and secondary controllers
5. Restart the computer

The problem is that windows for some reason will randomly turn of ultra-dma. I have no idea why, but this is a fix to re-activate it. Hope it works for you.

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:32 AM
good point, and thanks for your input

problem is that they play absolutely fine. Not choppy at all..

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
yeah it is quite odd,

when it burns it transcodes for like 10 of the 11 hours - i.e. no light, (on Nero you can see that it plays every movie, every frame which really slows down my computer). For the remaining 1 hour it actually sounds like the DVD writer is working.

apparently write speed is 18x according to drive information

so do movies have to be transcoded in order to work in my DVD player?

Yes they do, otherwise you will just be burning a data DVD with the files placed on it, most DVD players cant read computer files (mpeg, .mov, some can read. avi's though)

When I use mine to transcode it usually takes about 40 minutes, I have a Macbook pro with intel core2duo 2.14 ghz. How old is your CPU, Ram, Hd?

dr_jared88
09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Hmm, maybe thats not the problem then. I'd still give it a try. You can also just open up both the primary and secondary controllers properties and see if ultra-dma is enabled

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:39 AM
hmmm.

I have a 2.8Ghz Celeron D, 512 mbs ram, harddrive is something like 140

ps: F$(% POS MDG computers, but that is another story altogether.

could it be that it is a series rather than one movie?
actually I did burn an asstastic version of transformers, that took me 6 hours,

so there isn't a huge different between a series DVD and a one movie DVD

something still ain't right

dr_jared88
09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
[B]hmmm.

I have a 2.8Ghz Celeron D, 512 mbs ram,

Could very well be this. The mixture of Celeron and half a gig of ram isn't the greatest combo to do something as processor intense as what your are doing.

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Hmm, maybe thats not the problem then. I'd still give it a try. You can also just open up both the primary and secondary controllers properties and see if ultra-dma is enabled

It looks like transfer is "Ultra DMA 2". I have three of these things under that setting..
hmm

beecue
09-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I suggest getting something like this ... http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10085860&catid=10561 .. it will save you lots of time .. but you won't get any menus

Toma
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Nah, my PC is slow ass during trasncoding as well.... I have seen a 4 hours, and mine is Athalon 64 with only half a gig as well....

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:47 AM
it says

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
- INTER(R) 8280 1DB Ultra ATA Storage Contoller - 24CB
- Primary IDE Channel
- Secondary IDE Channel

both primary and secondary have transfer of:
DMA if availible

should I reduce that to PIO only ?

what are the adverse effects of doing this?

thanks for the help guys

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a Divx dvd player and am starting to convert all my discs to DVD, i hate Divx, choppy, sound doesn't always line up, can only play it on some dvd's (cant take em to a buddies place)

and hustla it is your computer, I have dual core that is operating at about 3x (they way they rated CPU's before the C2D came out was way different, they changed it becasue it was pretty much false advertising.) your speed and I have two gigs of ram. Right now (literally) I am encoding a DVD in iMovie, burning Oceans 13, surfing beyond, and allowing azureus run in the background.

Go and see the nice people at memory express, they will hook you up

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
and hustla it is your computer, I have dual core that is operating at about 3x your speed and I have two gigs.
[/B]

argh lol.

let that be a lesson to all of you about MDG

dr_jared88
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
it says

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
- INTER(R) 8280 1DB Ultra ATA Storage Contoller - 24CB
- Primary IDE Channel
- Secondary IDE Channel

both primary and secondary have transfer of:
DMA if availible

should I reduce that to PIO only ?

what are the adverse effects of doing this?

thanks for the help guys

NO! Don't put it to PIO lol. That will reaaaaaly slow it down. It appears it's only the encoding that is slow, not the actually burning. I would have to say it is just your computer. Either upgrade your computer or expect to spend this amount of time doing this everytime.

canadian_hustla
09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

NO! Don't put it to PIO lol. That will reaaaaaly slow it down. It appears it's only the encoding that is slow, not the actually burning. I would have to say it is just your computer. Either upgrade your computer or expect to spend this amount of time doing this everytime.

hey thanks for the help anyways, it was worth the try..

natejj
09-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Since it's encoding the shows, video and audio, I think the wait times are pretty normal, you can't expect it to go as fast as ripping a dvd(less then an hour).

Toma
09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I leave all my stuff in Divx.... it rocks, you get 5-6 movies per disk, and the resolution is good enough for me... a little worse then normal DVD.... one in 10 have problems with the sound being off, but that is your encoder... I have uses DVD Fab Platinum and Magic DVD ripper with good results.