tsuga
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
how would i do that
with a stock turbo from a f2t
engine

plz dont shoot the messager

1-Bar
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
you would need some sort of engine management to say the least. What kind of car are you tuning?

tsuga
09-03-2007, 07:24 PM
.... a ford probe gt

tsuga
09-03-2007, 08:40 PM
anyone?

ca18det240sx
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Safc would be your cheapest route, but that will only take you so far. Ideally first you need to find out, how much power do you want, then you need to find out, what are your internals good to, whats the track record of the engine in general. The best way, is also the most expensive, which is a full standalone such as a Haltech E6x or a Microtec, or if you really wanna get cheap in those, but less support, go megasquirt. Megasquirt is a good setup, but its very DIY, so if youre not good at innovation or dont know what you are doing when it comes to problem solving of that degree, go with a more supported unit. Personally i like the way the Haltech e6x looks on paper, i have never used one, but read good stuff about them.

dont even think that turbo and standalone is the start, you still need to modify the exhaust, you also need injectors. With a v6 you need to come up with a manifold setup to get all 6 cylinders spinning your turbo, which would involve alot of piping and what not.

for a probe gt you would almost be better off swapping in a KLZE instead.......up to you i guess

A790
09-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx
Safc would be your cheapest route, but that will only take you so far. Ideally first you need to find out, how much power do you want, then you need to find out, what are your internals good to, whats the track record of the engine in general. The best way, is also the most expensive, which is a full standalone such as a Haltech E6x or a Microtec, or if you really wanna get cheap in those, but less support, go megasquirt. Megasquirt is a good setup, but its very DIY, so if youre not good at innovation or dont know what you are doing when it comes to problem solving of that degree, go with a more supported unit. Personally i like the way the Haltech e6x looks on paper, i have never used one, but read good stuff about them.

dont even think that turbo and standalone is the start, you still need to modify the exhaust, you also need injectors. With a v6 you need to come up with a manifold setup to get all 6 cylinders spinning your turbo, which would involve alot of piping and what not.

for a probe gt you would almost be better off swapping in a KLZE instead.......up to you i guess

The '89 Probe GT was a four cylinder turbo that had 180 horsepower at fairly conservative boost levels.

Get megasquirt and have someone tune it. You won't gain much power, so it'd be better to do supporting mods first.

tsuga
09-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by A790

The '89 Probe GT was a four cylinder turbo that had 180 horsepower at fairly conservative boost levels.

Get megasquirt and have someone tune it. You won't gain much power, so it'd be better to do supporting mods first.

and which supporting mods would work

and thanks for all the help
i very much appreicate it:thumbsup:

theken
09-04-2007, 12:19 AM
get an intake, 3 inch exhaust, get better heads, a bigger fuel pump, boost controller, fuel management, then you can run some decent times

barmanjay
09-04-2007, 12:33 AM
3" exhaust really wakes those motors up

tsuga
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
sweet thanks everyone for all your help
im gonna try at least 13psi from the turbo ..
i hope i dont blow anything or
get fuel line cut off...

o yea would this be good for
a fuel management?

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1989_1992_probe/performance/electronics/fuel_management/hks/hksp00008834.html

o yea would this exhuats be good too?

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1989_1992_probe/performance/exhaust/cat_back_exhausts/hks/hksp00013506.html

hellraiser456
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
you will want a full 3" exhaust(turbo back).

as for fuel management. i would strongly advise you to research other options and see what others with the same car use and like/dislike.

However before that...i would quickly make sure your engine will handle the added boost ( i don't know much about turbo fords).

Also research when you will hit fuel cut...and make sure all the motor can simply handle the added boost.

once you are done that..as it was said..i would suggest setting a goal.

Safc is a good system...but its also one of the more basic systems out there....where as something like the Greddy e manage blue or e manage ultimate have far more features that you may need or want and are about as stand alone as a piggy back can get.

A stand alone will yield a better performance...but it usually isn't necessarily required for smaller horsepower applications. Megasquirt is a common stand alone but it is VERY tricky to get installed and running as it is a universal application and require an extensive knowledge in your cars electrical system and experience (or research) in tuning from scratch. However...once you get past the frustration of it all...it is a very good system to use.

As for something more suited for your car i woulkd once again recommend looking into what other use. Im not sure if you have a AEM EMS designed for your car. There are also many other options stand alone wise. emgasquirt being one of the cheapest and AEM being one of the more expensive...and there are options inbetween.

Lastly i should ask... What current mods do you have and what are your engine specs. is it a stock turbo car or are you turboing a N/A engine

In all cases you will need (or very strongly recommended) a Wideband O2 sensor. These will tell you the exact mixture of fuel and air and it is very good at telling you how things are burning...which is very very important when you start talking about raising boost.

KRyn
09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Don't forget to pick up some gauges so you know what is going on in your engine.. Boost, Pyro, Air/Fuel is a good start.

theken
09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.performanceprobe.com/ i was trying to think of this website, but i couldn't remember till this exact moment haha, this will tell you everything you will need, and what you can do

ca18det240sx
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by A790

oops didnt read the gt part, i assumed he was talkin about a probe 4 cylinder. Maybe i should read better :nut:

anyhoo......what they said...my bad

tsuga
09-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by hellraiser456
you will want a full 3" exhaust(turbo back).

as for fuel management. i would strongly advise you to research other options and see what others with the same car use and like/dislike.

However before that...i would quickly make sure your engine will handle the added boost ( i don't know much about turbo fords).

Also research when you will hit fuel cut...and make sure all the motor can simply handle the added boost.

once you are done that..as it was said..i would suggest setting a goal.

Safc is a good system...but its also one of the more basic systems out there....where as something like the Greddy e manage blue or e manage ultimate have far more features that you may need or want and are about as stand alone as a piggy back can get.

A stand alone will yield a better performance...but it usually isn't necessarily required for smaller horsepower applications. Megasquirt is a common stand alone but it is VERY tricky to get installed and running as it is a universal application and require an extensive knowledge in your cars electrical system and experience (or research) in tuning from scratch. However...once you get past the frustration of it all...it is a very good system to use.

As for something more suited for your car i woulkd once again recommend looking into what other use. Im not sure if you have a AEM EMS designed for your car. There are also many other options stand alone wise. emgasquirt being one of the cheapest and AEM being one of the more expensive...and there are options inbetween.

Lastly i should ask... What current mods do you have and what are your engine specs. is it a stock turbo car or are you turboing a N/A engine

In all cases you will need (or very strongly recommended) a Wideband O2 sensor. These will tell you the exact mixture of fuel and air and it is very good at telling you how things are burning...which is very very important when you start talking about raising boost.

its a stock turbo.
and im not to sure about the all that about
full cut of and what not
would that info be in a shop manuel for the car?

theken
09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
to make it short go to the website i gave you, it tells you everything you need to know, beyond.ca is more like turbo hondas, most people here know nothing of ford probes, i had one, i upped the boost gave it a big exhaust and it ran like a 15.1 on 12 lbs boost, you wont get anymore then that, and if you try its a waste of money, unless u swap motors to a turbo klz or the fe3 the fe2 is just not that great of a platform