PDA

View Full Version : Law regarding hunting knives

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Ever since I got my first car I have carried an 8" hunting knife under my seat. Never needed to use it or even pull it out for that matter except when camping for other uses.

A friend was helping me tinker with my car today and told me that if a cop found it (which would be hard in the first place because I don't do or carry drugs so there really wouldn't be a need to search me) but anyways he said I would be arrested.

Thoughts?

Supa Dexta
09-03-2007, 10:36 PM
yeah they'd get pissed.. hidden weapons..

Be better to keep it in the dash then under the seat..

The Cosworth
09-03-2007, 10:47 PM
to be honest I don't know why I still carry it

what do you mean in the dash?

alloroc
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Even better to keep it in the closet.

Don't want a bum breaking into your car and taking it with your fingerprints all over it.

GTS Jeff
09-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Wow. Some of you people are sketchy.

liquidboi69
09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
You COULD get charged with weapons relating to the endangerment of public health, and concealed weapons. But most cops don't really care if you give them a good reason.

They only charge you if they think you're gonna use it with malicious intent.

I'm sure tonnes of people carry around pocket knives, and could possibly be charged with concealed weapons...but what if they really are using them for self defense...cops can be a little lenient. Also, the longer the blade is, the less lenient they will probably be.

Like...what if you were a small female walking in the middle of the night in a sketchy part of town...it's pretty justified imo. I'm pretty sure cops wouldn't charge the individual if that were the case. You'll of course be charged with everything possible if you stab someone with malicious intent however.

The Cosworth
09-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
You COULD get charged with weapons relating to the endangerment of public health, and concealed weapons. But most cops don't really care if you give them a good reason.

They only charge you if they think you're gonna use it with malicious intent.

I'm sure tonnes of people carry around pocket knives, and could possibly be charged with concealed weapons...but what if they really are using them for self defense...cops can be a little lenient. Also, the longer the blade is, the less lenient they will probably be.

Like...what if you were a small female walking in the middle of the night in a sketchy part of town...it's pretty justified imo. I'm pretty sure cops wouldn't charge the individual if that were the case. You'll of course be charged with everything possible if you stab someone with malicious intent however.

yeah that is kind of what i figured.

We had an attack outside our house in Coventry about a week before I started driving, I was working until 1 am at the time so I was scared (being 16) and that was why I originally put it in there. It just sort of migrated to every other car I had with my CD's and sunglasses

BigMass
09-04-2007, 08:34 AM
it's legal, it your car and there is no reason a cop should ever see it considering they need probable cause to search your car to begin with. An 8” hunting knife is not a prohibited item, bottom line.

Research your rights and don't listen to people's "opinions" on weather you should carry a knife with your or not.

Tik-Tok
09-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
it's legal, it your car and there is no reason a cop should ever see it considering they need probable cause to search your car to begin with. An 8” hunting knife is not a prohibited item, bottom line.

Research your rights and don't listen to people's "opinions" on weather you should carry a knife with your or not.

Lol, that's cute, you still think the cops obey the laws, and won't charge you with everything under the sun if they want to.

TKRIS
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
A knife is a tool, not a weapon. Like a firearm, it only becomes a weapon with signifigant persuasion from it's user, and is no more at fault for that than is any other object that can be manipulated to cause harm.

That said: know your own rights because the cops sure as fuck don't know them nor care about them. There is absolutely nothing in the law saying that you cannot carry that type of knife either on your person or in your vehicle.
If the cops ever try to take it, get badge numbers and names and go right back after them. Don't let them trample your rights just because it's inconvenient to fight to preserve them.

Cops and politicians will take away all the rights you don't fight to keep.

Supa Dexta
09-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm not saying he's doing anything wrong really, But I will say if there ever comes a time where they want to search his vehicle for whatever reason, and he forgets to tell them, they'd be pissed, and even worse if heaven forbid they find a roach or sumtin.. ha

BigMass
09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol, that's cute, you still think the cops obey the laws, and won't charge you with everything under the sun if they want to.

If you read my posts in other threads you'll know I’m very critical of politicians and police trampling our rights and liberties. But if you think for a second I would personally let them trample over my rights because i was scared of being abused, you're wrong. I'm getting too old for that

3g4u
09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by alloroc
Even better to keep it in the closet.

Don't want a bum breaking into your car and taking it with your fingerprints all over it.

That happened to me. My car got broken into on a monday after we were camping and i had like 4 knives including a switch blade and butterfly knife stolen. Be carefull.

TKRIS
09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 3g4u

That happened to me. My car got broken into on a monday after we were camping and i had like 4 knives including a switch blade and butterfly knife stolen. Be carefull.

Both of which are prohibited weapons in this country, so it's not a good idea to have them at all, let alone keep them in something as easily accessible as a car...

3g4u
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Your right i should have taken my buddy straight to the authorities when he gave me the butterfly knife. :rolleyes:

em2ab
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
The day I feel the need to carry weapons to protect my well being is the day I move somewhere else. I refuse to carry weapons for any reason.

3g4u
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I hear you man, i had themn in my car only because i was camping. People who carry weapons in Calgary are pussys.

TKRIS
09-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Just to clear this up:
Here's a copy of the Canadian Criminal Code Search ans Seizure regulations.

Search and Seizure
Search and seizure without warrant where offence committed

117.02 (1) Where a peace officer believes on reasonable grounds

(a) that a weapon, an imitation firearm, a prohibited device, any ammunition, any prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance was used in the commission of an offence, or

(b) that an offence is being committed, or has been committed, under any provision of this Act that involves, or the subject-matter of which is, a firearm, an imitation firearm, a cross-bow, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance,

and evidence of the offence is likely to be found on a person, in a vehicle or in any place or premises other than a dwelling-house, the peace officer may, where the conditions for obtaining a warrant exist but, by reason of exigent circumstances, it would not be practicable to obtain a warrant, search, without warrant, the person, vehicle, place or premises, and seize any thing by means of or in relation to which that peace officer believes on reasonable grounds the offence is being committed or has been committed.

Keep in mind that a hunting knife is not a firearm, imitation of a firearm, cross-bow, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, or explosive substance, so note 1(b) does not apply.

EDIT: I find it infinitly amusing that those of us who are able and willing to defend ourselves are labeled "pussies" by those who choose live their lives at the mercy of those who would do them harm.

"We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid."

em2ab
09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I hear you man, i had themn in my car only because i was camping. People who carry weapons in Calgary are pussys.
no, not pussies. It just puts the realization in my head that I've accepted living in an area where I could die. And when that becomes fact, I refuse to live in that area.

shakalaka
09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
As long as you have it concealed and not visible to the general public with no intention of using it, you should be alright. It becomes an offence to carry one, when you pull it out, and it causes fear of safety to the general public.

3g4u
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Just to clear this up:
Here's a copy of the Canadian Criminal Code Search ans Seizure regulations.

Keep in mind that a hunting knife is not a firearm, imitation of a firearm, cross-bow, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, or explosive substance, so note 1(b) does not apply.

EDIT: I find it infinitly amusing that those of us who are able and willing to defend ourselves are labeled "pussies" by those who choose live their lives at the mercy of those who would do them harm.

"We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic may go on a shooting spree at any time and anyone who would own a gun out of fear of such a lunatic is paranoid."

By carrying a weapon to "defend" yourself against all the major criminal threats here in calgary:rolleyes: Is just adding to the problem, look at the states. Also the realization here is that if you pull out a weapon on a criminal you are pretty much asking for much worse then getting your wallet stolen.

TKRIS
09-04-2007, 01:37 PM

By carrying a weapon to "defend" yourself against all the major criminal threats here in calgary:rolleyes: Is just adding to the problem, look at the states. Also the realization here is that if you pull out a weapon on a criminal you are pretty much asking for much worse then getting your wallet stolen.

I actually live in Blackfalds (pop. ~6,000), but that's beside the point.

While you're suggestion that we "look at the states" not likely to end in the way you think, I kindof agree with you.
It's a sad realization that our society is more concerned with the well-being of a criminal than that of a law-abiding, taxpaying citizen.
It's sad that we see guns as an implement of evil, and gun owners as crazy lunatics on the edge.

It's depressing that our society feels that a woman raped and strangled is somehow morally superior to a woman with a smoking gun and a dead rapist at her feet.

DayGlow
09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

You could be charged with a concealed weapon. Probable cause is an American term and not one that would be used in Canada. The terms used up here are reasonable suspicion and reasonable belief.

The actual search would be a charter issue, but if the cop is lawfully placed and the search itself is lawful finding a knife under the seat could lead to a concealed weapon charge. It would be part of a larger picture, but under a seat is not where you expect to find a knife. Much like finding a knife in someone's pocket isn't concealing a weapon because you would expect someone to carry a knife there, but find it down their pants or in the boot, then those are places you don't expect someone to carry a tool like a knife.

You could mount a defense in court that the weapon isn't concealed, but you would have to provide a logical explanation on why the tool would be carried there. Guaranteed that the crown would have already suggested through testimony from the larger picture that the weapon was found under the seat and that it was under the seat as it is readily accessible to the person sitting there for malicious purpose.

So in short, yes you can carry a knife under a seat, but if it is found in a lawful search (and the reasons for the search would build into the idea that it was there malicious purpose) you could face criminal charges.