PDA

View Full Version : I hate the North East!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 11:06 AM
this will be a long rant and may not be news to some but it just disgusts me completely.

My brother and I moved from the South West of Calgary about 5 months ago after making a good penny off of a house. Paying off everything we decided to go a bit smaller and purchase a condo in the north east in a not so scum area near Monterey. this area looked clean i guess but thinking so and knowing the possibilities that no matter where in NE there could be trouble... recent months proved this. My brothers newly purchased GTR has been sitting in the underground parking for some time because of engine troubles (timing belt snapped) and was getting pretty dusty. People not minding their own business inside the condo apartments decided to write all over the cars paint... maybe they don't know that it could do some damage? finally after a month we got the car towed out of there.. building management didn't do shit.
more recently, last Monday my company jeep was broken into as it was parked right on the street right in front of my place. the door lock was picked and the ignition console was smashed up. maybe they didn't have the right tools at the time and it wasn't stolen. nothing taken from it this time. we though perhaps it would be safer to park underground. last night when everyone was home, and friends were just leaving, my brother comes home after a 10 min drive he notices a jeep driving slowly down the street. he thought to himself that i am driving them home. he parks his car and comes in the home. he sees me and asks to borrow the jeep for a bit. goes down to the parking and comes up... the jeep is not there. he asks did i let anyone borrow it... of course i said no!
someone fucking jacked the car right from the underground parking lot in our own home!
he said he saw it driving down a street so we both run down there and see it parked in the condo next to ours entrance. no one is in it and we call the cops. the garage opener was stolen and nothing else

maybe they ditched it as it has not much fuel left or it was a dead end or it was someone in the condos that lives there.

i don't know if its just my luck ever since we moved here what but i am looking for a new place right away. its complete BS. we hear gun shots ever night or second night in the area and cop cars/hawks. fuck the north east.

anyone have similar stories?
thanks for wasting time in reading this.

/rant

SunniSunShine
09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
i have a similiar story, except its not quite so similar because i live in the SW :D

Bud, ive been preaching for years... i will never eh eh EVER live in the northeast, i avoid that area completely, they have nothing there that i need except a good laugh at all the ricermobiles

canadiandaytona
09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
gun shots everynight eh?

:drama:

KappaSigma
09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Man, you guys are so ignorant. Crime, etc is everywhere in the city. You make it sound like the NE is hell. Such a general stereotype is quite ignorant.

it would be like me saying that all asians deal drugs. which is NOT true nor my opinion.

Schwa
09-04-2007, 11:27 AM
How is it a stereotype when he is giving evidence of the events actually occuring?

CRX-R
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Those events occur anywhere, I lived in the northeast for a long, long time and me nor my family ever had anything broken into or stolen. As a matter of fact a lot of people I used to know from the NE would goto other areas, NW, SW to steal shit.

On a side note, you may want to petition your condo board to change the garage door openers if the theives now have their very own opener...

I highly doubt you hear gun shots every one of two nights. :bullshit:

boredengineer
09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
Man, you guys are so ignorant. Crime, etc is everywhere in the city. You make it sound like the NE is hell. Such a general stereotype is quite ignorant.
:dunno: You can't really argue that there is more crime in the better off sections of the city... Sadly statistically speaking the amount of crime is quite often linked to the wealth of the area.

SunniSunShine
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
its ignorant to think that the ne is no worse than the SW

you say people go to steal in the sw, yeah they come from the NE...

its like they are bred there for their skills in theft

Destinova403
09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
My girlfriend lives in Temple... and in all honesty i havent found that area to be too bad... i mean in the whole NE SE argument its fair to say that Forest Lawn is in the SE and it is probably one of the worst places in the city... same with Ogden, also in the SE. but i can see some merit to the comment about crime being everywhere... i live in Parkland and houses and cars get broken into all the time... who knows.

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 12:17 PM
in all my life i have lived in the South West and i have never encountered anything like this. i was getting a fucking ice cap back in July at a Tim Horton's and in that very same Co-op parking lot there were gun shots and a swarm of cops 10 min later. how often did i see this in the South? NEVER.
it is fucking fact that there is more crime in the northern SE and NE in general then other parts of the city. either they come from these areas and move around the city or it happens in the quadrants.

gun shots every night may be exaggerating a bit but i am 100% sure that i hear a few every week.

again, it is fact as i am giving evidence. just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean its not true. the percentage of crime in these areas are much higher than the rest. explain to me how this stereotypes it when fact is right in front of you.

Thanks

Lex350
09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine
i have a similiar story, except its not quite so similar because i live in the SW :D

Bud, ive been preaching for years... i will never eh eh EVER live in the northeast, i avoid that area completely, they have nothing there that i need except a good laugh at all the ricermobiles

I'm with you on this. I just don't go out to the NE unless I have to.

finboy
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
north of glenmore, east of deerfoot, avoid if possible

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
haha you have some busted car sitting in underground parking for months, people write on the dust and you chalk this up to the northeast being ghetto, classic. Maybe you should move into a trailer park and park it on the front lawn, that way you can keep a closer eye on it.

As for your jeep being stolen, props to your brother for letting it drive off and you both deserve a pat on the back for not taking some basic precautions against theft.

foos_guy
09-04-2007, 12:33 PM

it would be like me saying that all asians deal drugs. which is NOT true nor my opinion.

Crime is everywhere in this city... but they seem to be MORE in the SE and the edge of the NE that boarders on to the SE.

Check the numbers:
Crime statistics by community (http://www.calgarypolice.ca/news/stats_community.html)

msommers
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I've lived in Renfrew/Mayland Heights area my whole life. The only crime that has affected me or my friends in the area our whole lives has been my Honda Accord getting broken into, and a week later my buddy's Honda Civic. I have never heard a gun shot ever, although I did just see a fighter jet overhead as I'm typing this:rofl:

My Accord was stolen from a pub far into the NW. Crime happens everywhere, some communities more than others.

Lastly, I will admit and I've said this for a long time, tons of people I see at the family foods, 7-11 and subway in Mayland Heights always look so damn sketchy!

infected
09-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

I'm with you on this. I just don't go out to the NE unless I have to.

:werd:

SunniSunShine
09-04-2007, 12:47 PM
southeast is only bad because it borders the northeast HAHA

nj2Type-S
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
i've actually lived in marlborough in the NE for about 10 yrs now and i've never had a single problem (with the exception of one halloween when chips were poured all over my windshield). i moved to the fishcreek area in the SW just last yr and already, i've seen more cop cars there than i ever did where i used to live; even a (probably) stolen neon burnt to crisp just 3 houses down the road.

3g4u
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I live and have lived in SW since i was 10 and i have never had anything happen to any of my property or feel threatened in any way. The only time my car was broken into was when i was in the SE. go figure.

finboy
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I've lived in Renfrew/Mayland Heights area my whole life. The only crime that has affected me or my friends in the area our whole lives has been my Honda Accord getting broken into, and a week later my buddy's Honda Civic. I have never heard a gun shot ever, although I did just see a fighter jet overhead as I'm typing this:rofl:

My Accord was stolen from a pub far into the NW. Crime happens everywhere, some communities more than others.

Lastly, I will admit and I've said this for a long time, tons of people I see at the family foods, 7-11 and subway in Mayland Heights always look so damn sketchy!

i used to hang out in the mayland area all the time, its not too bad, usually only car break ins and the occasional fight, but then again, its right next to vista, and that makes anything look better :rofl:

KappaSigma
09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by foos_guy

Crime is everywhere in this city... but they seem to be MORE in the SE and the edge of the NE that boarders on to the SE.

Check the numbers:
Crime statistics by community (http://www.calgarypolice.ca/news/stats_community.html)

All I said is crime is everywhere. People make it sound like walking into the NE is like Compton.

tentacles
09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
As a matter of fact a lot of people I used to know from the NE would goto other areas, NW, SW to steal shit.

Well, that's re-assuring.

Masked Bandit
09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
People, there is a reason why the theft coverage on your car insurance is higher when you live North of Glenmore and East of Deerfoot.

It's not to say that it's all bad people living there.....just more than the rest of the city.

For what it's worth, house insurance is also more expensive in those areas (and Bowness on the west side) simply because of crime stats.

:dunno:

ringmaster
09-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Speaking of the NE, My step mom's BRAND FUCKING NEW accord got keyed last week in the superstore parking lot. My car has also been broken into and my stereo taken TWICE in the last 6 months.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Lived in Monterey for the past 12 years. I've heard gunshots twice in my life, and neither of them were in my neighborhood, once was in the NW and another was in the SW. Never had my property vandalized, and never had any theft. The worst was probably some college guys who used to room a block over firing off fireworks at night.

It's not the area, its just right place, wrong time.

ekguy
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
lived in the northeast had my civic stolen and had to go to impound to get it as it was ditched somewhere near my house....NE is shit always will be shit. Some people make it so and it's unfortunate but every big city needs a ghetto and in the NE it is.

Importz
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
so ne calgary is more ghetto then se dover etc etc??:dunno:

Ben
09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Exceptional Report issued by CPS!

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/news/pdf/2005_annual_stat_report.pdf

Originally posted by finboy
north of glenmore, east of deerfoot, avoid if possible

Word, thats the NORTH EAST that I think of.

mOOgle
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
i call the NE "my hood"
its so ghetto i almost got shot getting out of my car...damnn
thats when i swore to my self "im never goin back to the NE"
unless i have to anyway...

Importz
09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mOOgle
i call the NE "my hood"
its so ghetto i almost got shot getting out of my car...damnn
thats when i swore to my self "im never goin back to the NE"
unless i have to anyway...

:rofl: ok buddy

turbotrip
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
hey at least u dont have crackheads stealing your house numbers and lightbulbs like they do in the NW

mOOgle
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Importz

:rofl: ok buddy

ok! OK! YOU GOT ME
not a true story... but i was in the NE when i thought about it... damn ghetto i swear i think of stuff like that when i step in the HOOD... next thing u kno im thinkin about jackin up some old lady walkin down the street in the NE of course.

Brownwonder
09-04-2007, 02:02 PM

All I said is crime is everywhere. People make it sound like walking into the NE is like Compton.

:werd:

Brownwonder
09-04-2007, 02:05 PM
If people think NE Calgary is "hood" they should not travel to a lot of places around the world....

HondaRice
09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
NE, SW, I dont care.

Beltline has 3 times the crime rate as forest lawn.

If theres problems in the NE, its becasue the City is allowing it to happen, look at the hospital in the NE, if you beat your wife, or u do some trashy over dose drug thing or a bum off the street (even if the picked the bum in the sw) they send him to the NE

forest lawn is different though. its a BRZ you cant compare Forest lawn to the NE, forest lawn 17 ave is comparable to other BRZ's

khtm
09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
haha you have some busted car sitting in underground parking for months, people write on the dust and you chalk this up to the northeast being ghetto, classic. Maybe you should move into a trailer park and park it on the front lawn, that way you can keep a closer eye on it.

As for your jeep being stolen, props to your brother for letting it drive off and you both deserve a pat on the back for not taking some basic precautions against theft.
Translation: I live in the NE and I'm very defensive about anybody bad-mouthing my shit hole.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
^^ I do live in the northeast, keep a well maintained property and I've never even been shot at :eek: , guess I must be one of a select few hey? Retard...

Ever notice when these threads start up the people that comment on how dangerous the quadrant is and how much crime there is are mostly the people that don't live there? When I use to skateboard and bmx, largely after dark, I never once had any issues and I'm not what I would consider an "intimidating person" for the most part.

modded46
09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't know how someone can sit there and say that the NE isn't as bad as other areas of the city.. I can guarantee there is a lot less crime in Bearspaw & Springbank than Marlborough or Martindale. Stop being naive people come on..

modded46
09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I just read though that PDF and that confirms what I already knew :)

KappaSigma
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by modded46
I don't know how someone can sit there and say that the NE isn't as bad as other areas of the city.. I can guarantee there is a lot less crime in Bearspaw & Springbank than Marlborough or Martindale. Stop being naive people come on..

That places are basically out of the city. I mean, nanton ahs less crime too.

modded46
09-04-2007, 03:49 PM
ok how about Royal Oak or Crestmont? You're going to tell me they have as much crime too?

2BLUE
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
There's next to no crime in tuscany as there is in malbrough area

modded46
09-04-2007, 03:58 PM
There is no crime in Marlborough? Seriously? Wow I'm moving in tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 03:59 PM
It's funny how many educated people honestly believe that every single property that happens to fall on one side of a single, arbitrary, street is evil. Regardless, that will likely never change and it sucks for the people who do give a shit in the quadrant and do take care of their property, etc.

Anyone got racial distribution stats for each quadrant? I'm sure that will bring out some great stereotypes as well.

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
^^ I do live in the northeast, keep a well maintained property and I've never even been shot at :eek: , guess I must be one of a select few hey? Retard...

Ever notice when these threads start up the people that comment on how dangerous the quadrant is and how much crime there is are mostly the people that don't live there? When I use to skateboard and bmx, largely after dark, I never once had any issues and I'm not what I would consider an "intimidating person" for the most part.

out of everyone who replied, you sir douche bag sound like one of the largest emo mother fuckers out there. yes go skate your board around at night and vandalizing peoples personal property as i am sure you were the type when you where younger. you must have grown up in the NEE right? maybe i am not used to this type of treatment for no reason when i or my family don't deserve it. my brothers car did nothing and was sitting there. what kind of right does that give your fucking ass to scratch it up? you don't. leave me the fuck alone, leave my stuff alone, and play with your scissors cutting your wrists because daddy left. i am ranting for the truth that northern SE and southern NE are the worst areas to have a family and live peacefully.

Monterey is a nice area and yes i have not seen issues there, but i did not say i live there... i live close by to it.

how would you like it if in a 1 weeks time your car was broken into and then stolen twice. think about it hard.

4doorj
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Lived in Monterey for the past 12 years. I've heard gunshots twice in my life, and neither of them were in my neighborhood, once was in the NW and another was in the SW. Never had my property vandalized, and never had any theft. The worst was probably some college guys who used to room a block over firing off fireworks at night.

It's not the area, its just right place, wrong time.
word ive living in monterey for about that long too until last year.. no crime there ever that i encountered with....but i also keep everything in my garage, alarm and everything

i just moved to the new brighton in the south east... no problems there either...

alloroc
09-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Exceptional Report issued by CPS!

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/news/pdf/2005_annual_stat_report.pdf

Word, thats the NORTH EAST that I think of.

Pages 12, 23, and 26 kind of sum it up huh.

khtm
09-04-2007, 04:13 PM

For the most part stereotypes are based on truth. In this case, they're based on fact. Sorry to rain on your parade of ignorance.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

out of everyone who replied, you sir douche bag sound like one of the largest emo mother fuckers out there. yes go skate your board around at night and vandalizing peoples personal property as i am sure you were the type when you where younger. you must have grown up in the NEE right? maybe i am not used to this type of treatment for no reason when i or my family don't deserve it. my brothers car did nothing and was sitting there. what kind of right does that give your fucking ass to scratch it up? you don't. leave me the fuck alone, leave my stuff alone, and play with your scissors cutting your wrists because daddy left. i am ranting for the truth that northern SE and southern NE are the worst areas to have a family and live peacefully.

Monterey is a nice area and yes i have not seen issues there, but i did not say i live there... i live close by to it.

how would you like it if in a 1 weeks time your car was broken into and then stolen twice. think about it hard.

Uhh random much? Not sure where ya got emo out my responses but thats besides the point. Just to clarify, I'm not some street thug, I'm basically clean-cut and am one year away from my degree (with very good grades) and a job in a very professional industry. I did not say that you deserved what happened as I do not believe you did but its not expecting alot for you take some basic precautions against your vehicles being stolen, I do regardless of what quadrant my vehicle is parked in.

As for stereotyping all skateboarders as vandals, that would be almost as dumb as me saying that all S14 drivers are wanna be drift kings that street race and end up killing people. But I wouldn't say that, since it would clearly be wrong, just like your stereotype of everyone thats ever skateboarded.

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Uhh random much? Not sure where ya got emo out my responses but thats besides the point. Just to clarify, I'm not some street thug, I'm basically clean-cut and am one year away from my degree (with very good grades) and a job in a very professional industry. I did not say that you deserved what happened as I do not believe you did but its not expecting alot for you take some basic precautions against your vehicles being stolen, I do regardless of what quadrant my vehicle is parked in.

As for stereotyping all skateboarders as vandals, that would be almost as dumb as me saying that all S14 drivers are wanna be drift kings that street race and end up killing people. But I wouldn't say that, since it would clearly be wrong, just like your stereotype of everyone thats ever skateboarded.

yes i stereotyped you as being a punk of a person because of your responses. how do you know that i don't take careful precautions? all my cars have alarm systems, all have the club except for the company car that was stolen. does this make me better of a person now? i today because of the incident went out and expensed a club for it too.

i take care of my stuff and i too am a clean cut individual with a excellent source for income, but i did not deserve this. no one ever does am i right?
your responses prompted anger to some so how about next time watch what you say as you are not always right with your assumptions.

Thanks.

Mangina
09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
I love how these threads end up as a bunch of people living in the North East trying to defend their crime free neighborhoods. The North East is one, big SHITHOLE!!

rmk
09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
I love how these threads end up as a bunch of people living in the North East trying to defend their crime free neighborhoods. The North East is one, big SHITHOLE!!

:drama: :rofl:

kamatayan
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by modded46

Bearspaw and Springbank keeps growing and making those stuff that makes Marlborough, Martindale etc. do crime thats for sure.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM

yes i stereotyped you as being a punk of a person because of your responses. how do you know that i don't take careful precautions? all my cars have alarm systems, all have the club except for the company car that was stolen. does this make me better of a person now? i today because of the incident went out and expensed a club for it too.

i take care of my stuff and i too am a clean cut individual with a excellent source for income, but i did not deserve this. no one ever does am i right?
your responses prompted anger to some so how about next time watch what you say as you are not always right with your assumptions.

Thanks.

You never mentioned anything about precautions in your original post and even if that is the case wouldn't you have been alerted to attempted break ins by the alarm? At which point you can react as you please.

As for making assumptions, they may have been out of line in your eyes but no worse than those made by you in regards to everything in the NE, the BS about gun-shots, assumptions that I am some street thug and those pertaining to skateboards/bmx.

Your absolutely right that no one deserves to have their shit broken into and I do agree, though blaming it on car thieves and criminals would have been more fitting than painting everyone in a quadrant as such, yourself included.

Originally posted by khtm

For the most part stereotypes are based on truth. In this case, they're based on fact. Sorry to rain on your parade of ignorance.

If you read my posts I never said that the NE has less crime than anywhere else in the city, I merely pointed out that it gets way over-played by people who read about it in the newspaper.

As for your "A-ok" stance on stereotypes, would you be alright with getting turned away from an establishment based on your race/gender/age and a stereotype associated with it? Stereotyping is stereotyping, regardless of what it refers to.

khtm
09-04-2007, 05:00 PM
You totally missed my point.

All you NE-ers are whining about how it's not true that everyone thinks the NE is ghetto (stereotype).

I'm saying that even though it's a stereotype, it's still TRUE. Read the frickin' police report. There's facts to back up this particular stereotype.

Get it now? Good.

turbotrip
09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
yes the NE in general does have more crime than any other quadrant of the city, but there are parts of the NE with less crime than other parts of the city like Bowness in the NW for example

odin7
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM

That places are basically out of the city. I mean, nanton ahs less crime too.

What are you talking about? Springbank is not 'basically out of the city'. My home wasn't appraised with rates for outside city limits.

Anyways, the fact that the NE has more crime than any other quadrant is a fact and not a stereotype. Deal with it, if you're the one rarity up there you have to face the fact that you have shitty neighbors.

I have a lot of friends that live in the NE and all they ever tell me is "I can't wait to get out of this shithole". The NE is one big shit hole..

I do believe crime can happen anywhere but its just that it happens more often in the NE and I just happen to think the NE is a shit hole. O well..

Anyway, to the thread starter. Sucks about your vehicles and don't let that North Easterner get to you :P he's just trying to defend his home turf homie.. what what.. pour a little crys for my fallen boyzzzzzzzzz word.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by khtm
You totally missed my point.

All you NE-ers are whining about how it's not true that everyone thinks the NE is ghetto (stereotype).

I'm saying that even though it's a stereotype, it's still TRUE. Read the frickin' police report. There's facts to back up this particular stereotype.

Get it now? Good.

Got it, Good.

So you would agree then, that based on the FACT that in the US people of an African descent make up ~28% more of criminal populations in penitentiaries, for drug related offenses, than "white" individuals. So based on your logic, because there are FACTS to support this it is ok for anyone to claim that African American individuals are drug addicts. Just like elevated crime in NE makes everyone in the NE criminals and the area a ghetto, right?.

I never claimed that the NE was the nicest place to live but all these remarks about gunshots every night, being scared to cross into the quadrant, etc are clearly bogus and you know it.

Oh and heres the source for the above statement, just incase your wondering about sources and what not, though I doubt it. You'll notice it is from the US in 2004, it was easily accessible and I didn't feel like putting in the effort to get Canadian ones.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/racepris.htm

And I'm pretty confident the OP understands my position on this as I fully understand his, in both our cases, more careful words could have been chosen.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM

Let me say something more on your level.

"NE FOREVA"

Now that I got that out of the way, a whole quadrant shouldn't really be stereotyped. I can see individual neighborhoods perhaps, but I feel safer leaving my car outside, unlocked than I do Downtown in a security patrolled parkade with everything taken out. Does that mean that Downtown is "ghetto" and should be avoided at all costs? No, not really.

I love how the double standards of people on beyond come again into play. It's your own damn city and your too prejudiced to even listen to the people who actually LIVE in the NE. Maybe you should stop listening to that "guy you know who got mugged the one time he was in the NE" and should take a look for yourself. There's not many places in the city I would rather live than where I am right now.

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Got it, Good.

So you would agree then, that based on the FACT that in the US people of an African descent make up ~28% more of criminal populations in penitentiaries, for drug related offenses, than "white" individuals. So based on your logic, because there are FACTS to support this it is ok for anyone to claim that African American individuals are drug addicts. Just like elevated crime in NE makes everyone in the NE criminals and the area a ghetto, right?.

I never claimed that the NE was the nicest place to live but all these remarks about gunshots every night, being scared to cross into the quadrant, etc are clearly bogus and you know it.

Oh and heres the source for the above statement, just incase your wondering about sources and what not, though I doubt it. You'll notice it is from the US in 2004, it was easily accessible and I didn't feel like putting in the effort to get Canadian ones.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/racepris.htm

And I'm pretty confident the OP understands my position on this as I fully understand his, in both our cases, more careful words could have been chosen.

Now that I got that out of the way, a whole quadrant shouldn't really be stereotyped. I can see individual neighborhoods perhaps, but I feel safer leaving my car outside, unlocked than I do Downtown in a security patrolled parkade with everything taken out. Does that mean that Downtown is "ghetto" and should be avoided at all costs? No, not really.

I love how the double standards of people on beyond come again into play. It's your own damn city and your too prejudiced to even listen to the people who actually LIVE in the NE. Maybe you should stop listening to that "guy you know who got mugged the one time he was in the NE" and should take a look for yourself. There's not many places in the city I would rather live than where I am right now.

BrknFngrs you area all over the damn map. we are not talking about countries, race nor drugs! that is a different topic all together. i stated that I hate NE and the area is just crap compared to the rest of the city. why are you sticking up for such a crappy area when the facts are right in front of you that there is MORE CRIME HERE THEN THE REST OF CALGARY. done, finished and don't bother replying to this because fact is fact and there is nothing else to discuss. not drugs or anything else. if you want to, then make another thread about it. live in the NE forever and ever and stay there be happy. for the rest, we all know what quadrants are better and we will live there or move there the first chances we get.
(oh and i corrected myself about the gun shots. please read it again)
Fin~

smurf, i was not talking to you in that post. thats fine though, if you want to live here in this part of Calgary forever and nowhere else, Excellent! good on you and for the rest that just LOVE the area and want to raise a family and have that kind of future to be afraid to leave your personal belongings outside such as a BBQ or a car. have your kids running around outside and never know what could happen next. good, keep it. but its not for me. try living in a condo apartment for 6 months, and have the treatment i had living here. move out of your moms house and worry about... "hmm sorry guys i cant have a bbq because i cant leave it outside" sorry guys that was a gun shot... but its ok!!" hey my car was jacked! but its totally ok!! keep eating!" you will never understand unless you live it. don't bother replying if you haven't had that experience before.

i can honestly say that the people defending the north east as a good place to live have not lived outside of it before. am i wrong? if you call Coral springs and Monterey the suburbs of the NE, then drive around to mckenzie towne or evergreen or hamptons or richmond hill. these are places i would live and feel safer to have family and feel free to leave my stuff on my yard. NE will always be a shit hole to me.

403Gemini
09-04-2007, 06:24 PM

The reasoning behind this is because people from the other areas of the city that go up there to visit a friend, buy something, etc have bad experiences by only being parked there for 10-30 minutes. Whereas ive left my wallet in my car before parked on the street in my old 89 integra (one of the easiest cars to break into and it didnt have an alarm) and didnt even think about running outside in middle of the night to get it.

Its not that everybody is harping in the NE and saying its the worst place in the world - its just they're pointing out statistcally the crime rate is higher in the NE and the more morthern parts of the SE than the rest of the city.

But i can attest i've parked at my buddies place in Ogden quite a few times and havent had anything done to my car, then again thats when the hells angels had their head quarters there and my buddy was just down the hill... so not really a safe place for the retarded drunks to go stumbling around in. (Thats right, some crime can prevent some crime ;) )

mekeni
09-04-2007, 06:28 PM
lmao !!!

Three things you did wrong...

1)Sold your house in the SW
2)Bought a condo in the NE, thinking it would be safe
3)Post your rant here. :poosie:

AJS.Si
09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
this will be a long rant and may not be news to some but it just disgusts me completely.

My brother and I moved from the South West of Calgary about 5 months ago after making a good penny off of a house. Paying off everything we decided to go a bit smaller and purchase a condo in the north east in a not so scum area near Monterey. this area looked clean i guess but thinking so and knowing the possibilities that no matter where in NE there could be trouble... recent months proved this. My brothers newly purchased GTR has been sitting in the underground parking for some time because of engine troubles (timing belt snapped) and was getting pretty dusty. People not minding their own business inside the condo apartments decided to write all over the cars paint... maybe they don't know that it could do some damage? finally after a month we got the car towed out of there.. building management didn't do shit.
more recently, last Monday my company jeep was broken into as it was parked right on the street right in front of my place. the door lock was picked and the ignition console was smashed up. maybe they didn't have the right tools at the time and it wasn't stolen. nothing taken from it this time. we though perhaps it would be safer to park underground. last night when everyone was home, and friends were just leaving, my brother comes home after a 10 min drive he notices a jeep driving slowly down the street. he thought to himself that i am driving them home. he parks his car and comes in the home. he sees me and asks to borrow the jeep for a bit. goes down to the parking and comes up... the jeep is not there. he asks did i let anyone borrow it... of course i said no!
someone fucking jacked the car right from the underground parking lot in our own home!
he said he saw it driving down a street so we both run down there and see it parked in the condo next to ours entrance. no one is in it and we call the cops. the garage opener was stolen and nothing else

maybe they ditched it as it has not much fuel left or it was a dead end or it was someone in the condos that lives there.

i don't know if its just my luck ever since we moved here what but i am looking for a new place right away. its complete BS. we hear gun shots ever night or second night in the area and cop cars/hawks. fuck the north east.

anyone have similar stories?
thanks for wasting time in reading this.

/rant The NE dont want u either so go back to the SW and cry a river to ur parents about it! Also who is dumb enough to sell a house in the SW to buy a condo in the NE:dunno:NE for life u pussy!

ricefarmer
09-04-2007, 06:39 PM
move out of your moms house.... :cry:

then go move back to yo mamas house you little bitch!

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

The reasoning behind this is because people from the other areas of the city that go up there to visit a friend, buy something, etc have bad experiences by only being parked there for 10-30 minutes. Whereas ive left my wallet in my car before parked on the street in my old 89 integra (one of the easiest cars to break into and it didnt have an alarm) and didnt even think about running outside in middle of the night to get it.

Its not that everybody is harping in the NE and saying its the worst place in the world - its just they're pointing out statistcally the crime rate is higher in the NE and the more morthern parts of the SE than the rest of the city.

But i can attest i've parked at my buddies place in Ogden quite a few times and havent had anything done to my car, then again thats when the hells angels had their head quarters there and my buddy was just down the hill... so not really a safe place for the retarded drunks to go stumbling around in. (Thats right, some crime can prevent some crime ;) )

I 100% agree with your post, I'm not arguing that the crime rate isn't higher in the NE, that would be false. You summed up what I am trying to say perfectly.

To the OP, you make it seem like I'm flying a flag out of my sunroof promoting the NE as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thats not what I'm going for at all, I agree it is clearly not the nicest part of the city, but people like myself who do take care of their property and give a shit about things get lumped in with the degenerates of the area merely because of geographical location. When I have completed my program and am making more significant income I will most likely leave the area, I'm not defending its "greatness" to the death here. I just don't appreciate being looked down on by anyone because of where I live.

As for your situation with your stolen vehicle, hopefully things work out and there is justice because as I stated before you did not deserve that and trust me, I fully understand your position in regards to this. If my vehicle was stolen I would be furious, as anyone that knows me can confirm, but I would also not blame a quadrant of the city for it, I would blame the thief. Good luck and I hope it gets sorted out.

As for my above reference that you felt came out of no where, it was not directed at you but more at the concept of stereotyping, "based on fact", that khtm brought up and decided to try and throw in my face.

Regards and I hope things get figured out.

ScottysZ
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
This argument is absolutely retarded. Yes, communities in the northeast typically have more crime than most of the ones in the sw and nw. All these people making it sound like the worst place in the world need to get off their fuckin asses and do some travelling. Try walking around an oakland ghetto at 2 in the morning, or go spend some time in the non-tourist cities in mexico. Like someone said, its not fuckin compton. And to the op, boo hoo. Go buy a fuckin club and tell your brother to smarten his ass up too, its a goddam parking garage, what do you expect?

It seems like most of the people throwing out stupid " ne is ghetto" "ne is a shithole" comments are probably 16 year old morons who are afraid of half the city because mommy and daddy tell them its scary. Fuck.

TomcoPDR
09-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

:dunno: You can't really argue that there is more crime in the better off sections of the city... Sadly statistically speaking the amount of crime is quite often linked to the wealth of the area. Exactly, there's that section in the Calgary Sun and it lists all the stats of all the crimes (what types) in each community.

ZyaL8R
09-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Mackenzie town (??) and Tuscany have like no crime because the LRT doesnt reach there yet.

Anyone remember shawnessey a few years ago? Was quiet 'deep south' part of the city, then they extended the LRT line. What do ya know, all the bums and crackheads moved on in.

403Gemini
09-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ZyaL8R
Mackenzie town (??) and Tuscany have like no crime because the LRT doesnt reach there yet.

Anyone remember shawnessey a few years ago? Was quiet 'deep south' part of the city, then they extended the LRT line. What do ya know, all the bums and crackheads moved on in.

I was down at chapters w/ a friend and we were hangin out in that area (waiting for a movie) and we called the cops twice on these seriously fucked up crack heads (turns out the management at both starbucks and chapters called the police twice)

I hate the kinda shit the LRT brings with it

ZorroAMG
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
My car's ECU shuts the car off if I attempt to go east of deerfoot past sundown.

LOL @ those defending the East quadrants.

rvd
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
My car's ECU shuts the car off if I attempt to go east of deerfoot past sundown.

Pussy, live a little on the edge, lol.

Lex350
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
man...too many of you idiots sre taking this way too seriously.

ZorroAMG
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by rvd

Pussy, live a little on the edge, lol.

Yeah cause you know me, LawnBoy™

ctruo
09-04-2007, 08:50 PM
we hear gun shots ever night or second night in the area and cop cars/hawks. fuck the north east.

Dude, maybe move to forest lawn if you don't like it.

finboy
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ZyaL8R

i noticed a LOT more interesting people roaming shawnessey the past few years, esspecially in the areas near macloed

KRyn
09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
We have stereo types for a reason.. It's sad but the vast majority of the time they are true.

510-Trevor
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Ya, gotta watch out for those gang bangers in McKenzie Town.

I hear Riverbend is a pretty tough hood as well. Don't even get me started on Copperfield.

All you guys make me laugh.

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 09:16 PM
AJS.Si, ricefarmer, ScottysZ.... Immature comments are a sign of knowledge and experience. You just proved how much you have of it. :thumbsup:

BrknFngrs, Thank you.

pulse_crx
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I agree with you on this one, only becuase it happened to me when I was younger. We lived in Marlborough Park till 96, then we came to the NW. In the NE, dads truck was broken into 3 times, tools stolen, then truck was stolen and ditched once, moms car was stolen, not recovered. Since Ive been in Silversprings, till 02, and in tuscany since, we havent had a single problem with any kind of theft. 'knocks on wood'

ekguy
09-04-2007, 09:38 PM
hahah i dunno i have lived in the south the whole time i've been in calgary...bridlewood to start and now lake chaparall and i know i am going to be trying to stay in this neighbourhood after college somehow....mainly try to rent the basement in my brother in law's house. I have left my car unlocked, with valuables windows down on a couple nice summer nights where i thought i would be leaving again and nothing touched....have my car in pineridge for like 3 days on the street when i took it out of the backyard when i lived there, no valuables, no front bumper, cracked strut fork, no passenger side fender and bent control arms and yet still stolen window smashed and ditched 2 blocks away due to it being undriveable. i mean come on. nothing ever happens in lake chaparall....worst thing ever happened to me was some young punks ask me if I want to start shit hanging outside the vhq, and you just tell em to fuck off and they get scared....nothing like people getting stabbed, shot and beat up and mugged at whitehorn, marlborough, and rundle station on a daily basis....i lived in both, well i said whole time in south but unfortunintly lived with a girlfriend for like 3 months in pineridge and it was the worst three months of my life, guy beat his wife in his front yard even has the sirens could allready be heard....it's a ghetto and it always will be....no matter if some people care about their property too many don't and for many MANY people it's the only place they can afford when all they do is steal shit and sell drugs to support a family of inbred kids....NE is the ghetto of calgary

and for those who say ohhhh dover is in the south...it's so god damned closed to forest lawn might as well block it in with the rest of the ne

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
hahah i dunno i have lived in the south the whole time i've been in calgary...bridlewood to start and now lake chaparall and i know i am going to be trying to stay in this neighbourhood after college somehow....mainly try to rent the basement in my brother in law's house. I have left my car unlocked, with valuables windows down on a couple nice summer nights where i thought i would be leaving again and nothing touched....have my car in pineridge for like 3 days on the street when i took it out of the backyard when i lived there, no valuables, no front bumper, cracked strut fork, no passenger side fender and bent control arms and yet still stolen window smashed and ditched 2 blocks away due to it being undriveable. i mean come on. nothing ever happens in lake chaparall....worst thing ever happened to me was some young punks ask me if I want to start shit hanging outside the vhq, and you just tell em to fuck off and they get scared....nothing like people getting stabbed, shot and beat up and mugged at whitehorn, marlborough, and rundle station on a daily basis....i lived in both, well i said whole time in south but unfortunintly lived with a girlfriend for like 3 months in pineridge and it was the worst three months of my life, guy beat his wife in his front yard even has the sirens could allready be heard....it's a ghetto and it always will be....no matter if some people care about their property too many don't and for many MANY people it's the only place they can afford when all they do is steal shit and sell drugs to support a family of inbred kids....NE is the ghetto of calgary

and for those who say ohhhh dover is in the south...it's so god damned closed to forest lawn might as well block it in with the rest of the ne

You sir are very close minded. Does your neck feel red yet? Should we get together the pitchforks and drive them there ghetto people out? Did you even read all the posts?

Yes, there are specific neighborhoods that are bad, and many are in the NE, but the NE is not one huge ghetto. If you have such a problem with it, why don't you burn it down? Why not move to Edmonton? Instead of bitching and whining about it, do something. You won't, because it's not that bad! I've also left my car, unattended, windows open, alarm off for a good 36 hours with no one even touching it. The worst I've ever had was some kids hit it with a football.

We all have stories, good and bad about different parts of the city. I've had my car keyed up in Hidden Valley in someones driveway, had my mirror kicked off over by Chinook Mall. My parent's friend's son got stabbed in Mckenzie. I'm not saying the NE is all powerful... I would much rather live in the NW/SW, but saying the NE is just one huge ghetto is as bad as saying all civic drivers are ricers, all 240sx owners are drifters, and all skyline owners are cocky assholes. Open your mind a little... Escape the matrix if you will.

mekeni
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

Disowning of Dover and Forest lawn = :thumbsdow

rage2
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Stats for Aug 5th to Aug 11th.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
District 1 0 2 11 31 6
District 2 11 5 13 25 1
District 3 10 5 18 26 2
District 4 12 2 23 26 0
District 5 5 5 26 24 4
District 6 3 14 22 24 0
District 7 0 6 7 22 2
District 8 4 2 7 28 0

Key: (1) House break-in; (2) shop break-in; (3) vehicle theft; (4) car prowling; (5) robbery. Source: Calgary Police Information Management System

District Map:

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/districts/2005-district-realign.pdf

House break-in's (1) is topped by Districts 2, 3, and 4, which is central west, central north, and central east.

Vehicle Thefts is topped by Districts 4, 5 and 6, which is like the entire east end of the city as well as SW.

Vehicle break-ins is topped by district 1 and 8, which is downtown and deep south.

Robberies are topped by 1 and 5, downtown and NE.

District 6 usually wins the most shop break in award, since there's a lot of commercial stuff there.

What does this show? Well, first off, car prowlings happens everywhere cuz it's so easy and next to impossible to get busted. Other than that, nothing happens in the NW or the deep south. The north of glenmore east of deerfoot areas does get more crime than other areas, so statistically speaking, it's in line with what others in this thread feel.

anhthanh
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
N.E does has more crime but i think calgary is a good city overall moved here 5 yrs ago and spent the 1st 1.5 yrs in the NE jack shit happen to me im now in springbank and still good here. i lived in Toronto most of my life and every placed i lived my parents car got stolen or vandalize, every apartment we lived in got broken into. got home invaded when i was in grade 7 ( lived on third floor ) , a week later my friend house down stairs from us got rob and her dad got shot 3 times. almost got shot playing basketball some black doods start shooting evrywhere at a park. so much happen to me and my family in Toronto when we moved to calgary it just seems such a peace full place and too me it still is. things just happen every now and then we just gotta live with it.

modded46
09-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by odin7

What are you talking about? Springbank is not 'basically out of the city'. My home wasn't appraised with rates for outside city limits.

Anyways, the fact that the NE has more crime than any other quadrant is a fact and not a stereotype. Deal with it, if you're the one rarity up there you have to face the fact that you have shitty neighbors.

I have a lot of friends that live in the NE and all they ever tell me is "I can't wait to get out of this shithole". The NE is one big shit hole..

I do believe crime can happen anywhere but its just that it happens more often in the NE and I just happen to think the NE is a shit hole. O well..

Anyway, to the thread starter. Sucks about your vehicles and don't let that North Easterner get to you :P he's just trying to defend his home turf homie.. what what.. pour a little crys for my fallen boyzzzzzzzzz word.

Well put! Even after the facts are stated.. They are still trying to defend the NE?? WTF guys.. stop being ignorant and realize statistics don't lie..

ekguy
09-04-2007, 09:58 PM
hahah didn't think i would offend so many people with my little rant. i know some parts aren't that bad...it's just that coming from nb there is probably less crime in all of the city im from than in certain neighbourhoods in the NE and no my neck ain't red hahaha. but yeah didn't mean to offend anyone but in all honnesty it does seem for me anyways having lived in 3 different neighbourhoods in 3 different quadrants that most of the NE don't give a shit how their yard or house looks and i have seen alot of crime first hand there. out here well i've seen people spit on the sidewalk...maybe litter once in a while....and speeding...but never anything like i've seen in the NE. seen punk kids pick fights with homeless people, or just random people walking on the sidewalk at rundle it's awefull there at night.

ekguy
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
hahah and thanks to rage2 for putting up stats pretty much saying what 95% of the users in this thread allready know mostly by experience.

phreezee
09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
The lower the average housing price the higher the crime rate. This will be true in any area in any city. Basically you have to understand this and take the necessary precautions.

I grew up in the ghetto so I've experienced this first hand. I know both ends of the spectrum.

AJS.Si
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
AJS.Si, ricefarmer, ScottysZ.... Immature comments are a sign of knowledge and experience. You just proved how much you have of it. :thumbsup:

BrknFngrs, Thank you. Buddy, if u have so much knowledge and experience why did ur dumbass buy a condo somewhere without researching anything about the area/building/tenants/condo board etc... i mean you are going to call this place "home" right?. hold on a sec i think i hear something...i sure do, its ur mommy and daddy calling u home back to the sw for dinner. If you cant handle living on ur own go back to the crib and bottle.

bamboo403
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
south boys...

Eleanor
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
N.W. FTMFW! Only thing we get up here are some guys chirping their tires at lights at night and pot houses, that's it. I'm in Edgemont and elderly Asian immigrants don't really freak me out, so I think I'm okay.

403Gemini
09-04-2007, 11:24 PM
I actually spent most of my time in the NW this weekend, i loved it i would definatly move there

Genjuro
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by AJS.Si
Buddy, if u have so much knowledge and experience why did ur dumbass buy a condo somewhere without researching anything about the area/building/tenants/condo board etc... i mean you are going to call this place "home" right?. hold on a sec i think i hear something...i sure do, its ur mommy and daddy calling u home back to the sw for dinner. If you cant handle living on ur own go back to the crib and bottle.

Why do you have to keep saying stuff about my parents? i have lived away from their home for 10 years now and they are retired - moved to BC. get your shit together kid. you must be what? 15 or something and still sucking on your mommas titty? if you don't have anything intelligent to say in this thread then don't bother saying anything at all.

I don't need to explain my life story about why i chose to buy in the NE to a stupid son of a bitch like you.

man, why am i wasting my time replying to this chump??

anyways, there you have it again stats and facts from Rage.

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Just for everyone taking rage's words as gospel, and I quote:

Originally posted by rage2
What does this show? Well, first off, car prowlings happens everywhere cuz it's so easy and next to impossible to get busted.

TNation
09-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Me and some friends were assaulted in the NE. For no reason. Near the nice area, "Coral Springs".
The NE is more dangerous, period, its a common fact.

haunt
09-05-2007, 12:53 AM
I grew up in Whitehorn up until I was 11, our whole street was very friendly, no break-ins or gunshots. We moved to Edgemont and 3 months in our house was broken in to, in the following years our's and our neighbor's house had been egged a few times. I'll admit that when I was 14 I was a dumb kid rolling with other dumb kids, and we did some random vandelism/violence in the surrounding neighborhoods. In the past few years I've seen some kids doing the same things in the neighborhood and Ive even had to chase them off my street. Every year its a new generation of kids doing to same dumb shit but getting more and more common in neighborhoods.
I think it has alot to do with kids being raised in the suburbs, no sense of struggle, no example of real life, so they act out.
But youre right the NE has lots more crack heads, natives, and shootings than in the west.

odin7
09-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Just for everyone taking rage's words as gospel, and I quote:

That is just one type of crime. What's the point of quoting this??

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TNation
Me and some friends were assaulted in the NE. For no reason. Near the nice area, "Coral Springs".
The NE is more dangerous, period, its a common fact.
Maybe you just need to learn to defend yourself? It could of happened in any part of the city, including downtown.

Originally posted by odin7

That is just one type of crime. What's the point of quoting this??

The OP was raging about a stolen vehicle... I think it may have at least a little relevance?

dharminder
09-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Like someone posted, you think NE is ghetto you are either young and have no travel experience or just plain stupid and ignorant.

It just makes me laugh how quick people are to through insults. Grow up, I read some of the post on here and think wow there are some intelligent people on this site. Then come across this and you see the person in a different light.

Statistics wise yes there are a lot more crime in the NE, but does that really make it the ghetto? If so then mine and your definition of ghetto are from two different worlds.

ZorroAMG
09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
^LOL Yes, the NE ghetto is better than SE ghetto.

Potato, potahto.