PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Road Test Tips

infected
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I have to take my second road test tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. I think the easiest way to lose points is not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and speeding. Other than that, what else should I pay attention to? I drive a lot so I hope I'll do okay. Is the exam pretty much all highway and DT driving?

Black Gts
09-04-2007, 04:58 PM
speeding, is an automatic fail I believe...
And rollings stops possibly are as well..
Count to three in your head at stop signs,
And why speed??? are you in a hurry?? someplace to be?? Just take your time, you paid for whatever time they give you, might as well use it up...

Supa Dexta
09-04-2007, 05:22 PM
shoulder check and check your mirrors often... make the head movements noticeable, but not over the top... Make sure you buckle up, and make sure the instructor does too.. Not often they won't, but it would be a good catch if they didn't tryin to see if you say anything.. leave space when your at a light as well, they call it an escape route or something, but chances are if your gonna get rear ended there won't be any room for you to get out of the way... All I can think of right now.. oh and 2 hands on the wheel in good position...

BrknFngrs
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
once ya get in the car make sure you set everything up for you. (mirrors, seat, wheel, etc)

infected
09-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Good point Supa Dexta, I almost forgot about the "two hands on the wheel" rule. I'm just curious if they're really picky about that or not?

Palmiros
09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Watch out for school zones/playground zones.
School started today, meaning tomorrow, when you take your test it will be in effect.
Don't speed, shoulder check, come to a complete stop and obey traffic signs. You'll be just fine :D

natejj
09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I went 70 on glenmore (didnt wanna speed) and lost 20 points... I passed a bus 3x times in an intersection, 15 points each time...

Passed with 65 points!

RaptorGJC
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
The test is easy, just follow the rules of the road, the signage, right of way and basic things like that. If u mess up a little, remember you can accumalate up to 70 points, just don't do anything that'll instant fail you. I can post up my test results when I get home, so you know what they look for

Supa Dexta
09-04-2007, 05:54 PM
we all get laid back and lazy after driving for yrs... But if you sit up and look alert and pay attention to every thing around you they will notice you have your head in the game..

Annoyingrob
09-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I took my road test in Ontario years ago, but some things I remember:

I lost points for driving too slow. I had a habit of speeding at that age, and was trying way too hard to not speed. Go fast enough to keep up with traffic, but not over the speed limit.

Uncontrolled intersections, stop at them! There was this test place near my house where the parking lot exited into an alley. They had this nasty habit of telling kids to go down the alley, and most of them got an instant fail, as there was a pathway that crossed the alley, and almost everyone would drive right through the "intersection" of the path and the alley.

Both hands on the wheel whenever possible. I got dinged some points for having one hand on the shifter as I crossed over some railroad tracks (I took my driving test in a 5-speed bcause I'm just that cockey). Seriously though, driving a 5-speed really keeps your head in the game, and aware of your surroundings. "Traffic's slowing down ahead, I better downshift, etc". That is, if you're not too busy trying to fight with a stick you can't drive :)

Take extra precautions while in parking lots. They're sort of a gray area, and they'll most likely fail you if they thing you're doing something "unsafe".

Oh, most importantly, don't be nervous. Relax, it's only a driving test. I bet you drive better then half the idiots on the road, and they all got their licenses didnt they.

thrasher22
09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I missed GDL by a couple months, I'm just curious, how hard is this test? Harder/easier than the first test?

infected
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Well it wasn't all that bad actually. I got dinged for not stopping completely when leaving a parking lot but that was cuz I was busy trying not scratching any more paint off my lip. The examiner also commented on my exhaust tone being too loud so the exam ended pretty quickly. I passed!! :clap:

Canmorite
09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Nicely done :thumbsup:

Mike w
09-05-2007, 06:00 PM
shit i gota take that stupid test too, b4 i run out of demerits. whats the number to that place infected?

infected
09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm sure pretty much any driving school will be able to offer you the exam, but I thought you had to keep a good driving record before you're allowed to take the advanced road test. I got a letter in the mail saying I could take the exam before I called my driving school.

Kobe
09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
for this test, how are you suppose to downshift when going to a stop? Can you stick it in N? or does it have to be in 1st at all times?

fcukda
09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by infected
Well it wasn't all that bad actually. I got dinged for not stopping completely when leaving a parking lot but that was cuz I was busy trying not scratching any more paint off my lip. The examiner also commented on my exhaust tone being too loud so the exam ended pretty quickly. I passed!! :clap:

so is the advance road test the same as the first test? is there parallel parking?

ercchry
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm sure pretty much any driving school will be able to offer you the exam, but I thought you had to keep a good driving record before you're allowed to take the advanced road test. I got a letter in the mail saying I could take the exam before I called my driving school.

you can take it after having your gdl for a set time and not suspention within the past year

Originally posted by Kobe
for this test, how are you suppose to downshift when going to a stop? Can you stick it in N? or does it have to be in 1st at all times?

they guy told me as long as i drove smooth he didnt care, just ask beore hand

Originally posted by fcukda

so is the advance road test the same as the first test? is there parallel parking?

way longer, no parking part

remember:
-when turning right check for cyclists
-leave tons of room infront of you when driving
- slow for uncontrolled intersection

infected
09-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Not really. We started off driving around Downtown mainly to test double turning lanes. Then we spent some time driving around residential areas with lots of stop/yield signs and playground/school zones. Lastly we spent no more than 10 minutes on Deerfoot Trail before we headed back Downtown where the exam ended. No parking, just non-stop driving.

ercchry
09-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Not really. We started off driving around Downtown mainly to test double turning lanes. Then we spent some time driving around residential areas with lots of stop/yield signs and playground/school zones. Lastly we spent no more than 10 minutes on Deerfoot Trail before we headed back Downtown where the exam ended. No parking, just non-stop driving.

if i could recomend a place to do the test it would be far away from downtown and in a area you know, makes it easy

oh and dont do it during rush hour, man that sucked :banghead:

infected
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I think they make you go DT regardless of where start off.

I took my exam during lunch so it was "okay" but still not as bad as taking it during rush hour.

ercchry
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I think they make you go DT regardless of where start off.

I took my exam during lunch so it was "okay" but still not as bad as taking it during rush hour.

well since i did it in calgary no you dont

sea of ash
09-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

i put it in N instead of downshifting, lost THIRTY fucking points for it and failed by 5 points :thumbsdow

diggity
09-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

if i could recomend a place to do the test it would be far away from downtown and in a area you know, makes it easy

oh and dont do it during rush hour, man that sucked :banghead:

They take you downtown regardless, just the further away you are, the more gas your going to waste. I learned the hard way. :thumbsdow

On something completely irrelivant, is failing a parallel park an instant fail in the initial driving test. (Learners to full GDL license)

Just courioous..

BoS_DC2
09-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Damn, I'll be driving an automatic for the test lol, don't want to lose concentration worrying about if I'm shifting smooth enough for the examiner..

BoS_DC2
09-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by diggity

They take you downtown regardless, just the further away you are, the more gas your going to waste. I learned the hard way. :thumbsdow

On something completely irrelivant, is failing a parallel park an instant fail in the initial driving test. (Learners to full GDL license)

Just courioous..

i doubt it, they'll probably deduct some points but they allow you to try again.

sarah_t34
05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a question if anyone knows, about the GDL advance road test. I got my drivers licence in my sister's automatic, so when I got my own car, I got a standard, I have heard that you can't shift through intersections and across railways...etc, so does anyone actually know, or can confirm any of this? Obviously these "'rules" don't apply to automatics, so I'm confused.

dannie
05-03-2009, 06:35 PM
^ You will not get docked marks for shifting through an intersection or railway crossing. However, you will get docked if you:

1. Stall
2. Rev the engine so that the car does not move the car effectively
3. Lurch the car forward or start off in that bumpy kind of way. The learners book calls it "lug."

http://transportation.alberta.ca/1993.htm

flipstah
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was just wondering if a minor infraction ticket (Unsafe U-turn) will affect my Advance Road Test eligibility?

scat19
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Only if you had your license suspended, you have to wait a year.

For example, I lost my licesne due to demerit accumulation for 30 days last year. I was able to take the advanced (haven't though) the day the suspension ended, 1 year after.

dannie
06-24-2009, 11:56 AM
^ Correct. One of the stipulations of the GDL exit test is that you must be suspension free for the last year of your GDL process.

A ticket wont affect your exit date.

Here is a FAQ for Advanced Tests

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType47/Production/ART_qanda.pdf

71car
06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Years ago when I took my exam, the instructor told me the rule for hands on steering wheel was to use "the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock" method. Don't know if this rule still apply now...my exam was taken in the '80s! :rofl:

dannie
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by 71car
Years ago when I took my exam, the instructor told me the rule for hands on steering wheel was to use "the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock" method. Don't know if this rule still apply now...my exam was taken in the '80s! :rofl:

Still applies

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1994.htm

whiskas
06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by dannie
2. Rev the engine so that the car does not move the car effectively

I dunno if I can stay in VTEC the whole time

narou
06-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I rocked the advanced test monday morning in my red JDM RHD BULLSHIT stupid R33 with no problems.. I only got points for shoulder checking twice (bull the examiner was not paying attention).. He did not make me go downtown! I also did not have to downshift when coming to stop. I just waited until my speed was low enough to set it in 1st and held the clutch pedal down until it was time to go..

Also whats with that verbal hazard crap.. I missed that part but I couldn't understand the examiner so.. :dunno:

FraserB
06-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Sorry to bump. I smacked my mirror offroad and it cant be adjusted. Am I gonna have to fix it? Id rather not since I might be going tube doors or doorless

dannie
06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
You have to be able to see out of it. So if it is hanging by a thread and its down the side of the door, no.

If you can properly check traffic with it, then its fine.

Mostwanted
04-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by natejj
I went 70 on glenmore (didnt wanna speed) and lost 20 points... I passed a bus 3x times in an intersection, 15 points each time...

Passed with 65 points!

I totally forgot how this rule applies, your not suppose to pass a bus in an intersection im a bit confused?:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
i know your suppose to yield to them if they are coming out of there bus stop but thats about it. Taking my test soon

whiskas
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
Uncontrolled intersections, stop at them! There was this test place near my house where the parking lot exited into an alley. They had this nasty habit of telling kids to go down the alley, and most of them got an instant fail, as there was a pathway that crossed the alley, and almost everyone would drive right through the "intersection" of the path and the alley.

You don't stop at uncontrolled intersections unless you see something that you need to stop for. You're supposed to be proceed through them cautiously and be prepared to stop.

M.alex
04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mostwanted

I totally forgot how this rule applies, your not suppose to pass a bus in an intersection im a bit confused?:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
i know your suppose to yield to them if they are coming out of there bus stop but thats about it. Taking my test soon

Why you bump 6 1/2 year old thread? :nut: :nut: :nut: