PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hortons Donuts

copynpaste
09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Im not a huge donut eater, I maybe eat one on a rare occasion but I do think they taste pretty good for the most part. Im not crazy about them enough to eat them everyday or anything. Anyways I've always believed that Timmys has always made the best donuts, and by a wide margin compared to other places - KK, Countrystyle, etc.

Well today I had a couple donuts for the first time in a long long time. My first one was at Safeway - it was pretty big for what you pay and it tasted really good (surprisingly). I have heard a lot of people do like safeway donuts though.

And the 2nd donut was at Timmys. I got the exact same kind. I just wanted to compare, and I was a bit let down. Maybe its just me, but Ive tasted much better donuts at Timmys years ago. I wanted to have another test so I got another donut of a different kind (but one of the most popular ones) and again it tasted too bland, and just too much like bread and not a donut. It just tasted too artificial. Is it just me? I actually thought the Safeway donuts tasted better. Not only that, larger portions too!

Dayclone
09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Dude... u made me go buy donuts... I got hungry.

Plus now I'm craving, umm Krazykreme.

doublepostwhore
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
krispy kreme brother.

Dohnuts FTL. I Like life WAY to much to munch on em.

HiTempguy1
09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Grocery stores like Safeway and Co-Op (co-op donuts FTMFW!) are freshly made (really). Donuts from timy hoes are frozen, then "baked" (more like reheated). I also hate the fact that the donuts from timy's don't even look cooked, unlike the nice dark brown shade real donuts are from co-op (I am specifically referring to honey dip donuts).

shakalaka
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I think Tim's donuts taste like crap, but then again I think ALL donuts are disgusting. Too much sugar, fat and what not. I still haven't had even one KK donut, and I am planning on keeping it this way.

G-ZUS
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I think Tim's donuts taste like crap, but then again I think ALL donuts are disgusting. Too much sugar, fat and what not. I still haven't had even one KK donut, and I am planning on keeping it this way.

For every KK donut u dont eat I will eat 1 dozen

calepeters
09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
not 2 many in calgary, but by far the best donuts are made by robins donuts

shakalaka
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by calepeters

I thought they went bust here a while ago now. Family friend owned a few and he got rid of 'em all.

copynpaste
09-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by calepeters

Robins, urgh even worse than Timmys.:thumbsdow

Originally posted by shakalaka

Eat one every now and then is fine. Its quite disturbing seeing all these people who order one (or more) for breakfast every morning with their coffee. YIKES! You are just asking for high blood pressure by the time you are 55.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Grocery stores like Safeway and Co-Op (co-op donuts FTMFW!) are freshly made (really). Donuts from timy hoes are frozen, then "baked" (more like reheated). I also hate the fact that the donuts from timy's don't even look cooked, unlike the nice dark brown shade real donuts are from co-op (I am specifically referring to honey dip donuts).

That could explain it, but most timmys (the busy ones at leeast) get new stock of donuts every morning that were just made that morning. In the morning is when they taste best. Any donut past 12hrs and it tastes like sh1t.

KRyn
09-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I love doughnuts.. Good bulking food.
MMmmmm

ctruo
09-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone
Dude... u made me go buy donuts... I got hungry.

Plus now I'm craving, umm Krazykreme.

lol i think u meant krispy kream..

98type_r
09-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Maybe its just me, but Ive tasted much better donuts at Timmys years ago.

Tim's doesn't bake their donuts fresh in store like they used to. A little while ago (maybe last year sometime?) they started preparing all donuts centrally in an industrial bakery. All donuts are then frozen and shipped to the individual stores where they are baked and then frosted/chocolate on top...
This may be why their donuts used to taste better.

copynpaste
09-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

Tim's doesn't bake their donuts fresh in store like they used to. A little while ago (maybe last year sometime?) they started preparing all donuts centrally in an industrial bakery. All donuts are then frozen and shipped to the individual stores where they are baked and then frosted/chocolate on top...
This may be why their donuts used to taste better.

Youre probably right - all the transporting here and there, different temp variables is likely the sole reason.

Kritafo
09-05-2007, 07:04 AM
I used to love Timmy's. Now that they don't bake them fresh in store they suck. I was a sucker for an apple fritter, they had the best... just like everything it all sucks now.

Like....when they tried to tell us Cinnzeo was better than Cinnabon I can't even eat Cinnzeo...it's crap!

joyridder
09-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Yrs ago I used to bake for Tims. Now I think they are frozen as mentioned above. Then it was all made fresh, donuts, muffins, cakes, pies etc....oh yeah and the cookies :drool:
The best was the honey dip fresh out of the fryer, glazed, and warm....so good...now I can't even eat more than one.

Neil4Speed
09-05-2007, 08:39 AM
There is this really good place for doughnuts on the drive past Red Deer (gasoline alley), near the Tim Hortons called Donut Mill, a must stop for sure, very nice staff.

I also like the doughnut place that is on your way out of calgary towards banff near COP (not sure the name).

JRSC00LUDE
09-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I go nuts for donuts.

But only ones that are still bakery fresh!

nismodrifter
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Safeway donuts FTW!!! Soooooooooooooooooo good!

CSVT
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I like tims donughts, but only Honey dip, Strawberry filled, and Boston Creme (Omg best ever)

From KK i only like their plain original, the rest are overloaded with sugar and i cant eat them at all.

I can eat 4 or 5 donughts if im hungry, but i feel so sick after... not good.

copynpaste
09-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by joyridder
Yrs ago I used to bake for Tims. Now I think they are frozen as mentioned above. Then it was all made fresh, donuts, muffins, cakes, pies etc....oh yeah and the cookies :drool:
The best was the honey dip fresh out of the fryer, glazed, and warm....so good...now I can't even eat more than one.

Haha ya the honey dip was one of the ones I tried yesterday and good god it tasted like cardboard. Not that it was stale, but sure didnt taste as good as Safeways

Originally posted by CSVT
I like tims donughts, but only Honey dip, Strawberry filled, and Boston Creme (Omg best ever)

From KK i only like their plain original, the rest are overloaded with sugar and i cant eat them at all.

I can eat 4 or 5 donughts if im hungry, but i feel so sick after... not good.

Ugh just the thought of downing 4 or 5 donuts makes me sick. I see people at work everyday pick up their daily fix of donuts and down them like grapes :eek:

shawtie
09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
I never should have opened this thread...Trying to stay away from all the junk throughout this pregnancy.....Now I want donuts mmmm donuts n pizza...and sushi haha yikes!!

copynpaste
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by shawtie
I never should have opened this thread...Trying to stay away from all the junk throughout this pregnancy.....Now I want donuts mmmm donuts n pizza...and sushi haha yikes!!

Haha, never say never :D

CSVT
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste

Ugh just the thought of downing 4 or 5 donuts makes me sick. I see people at work everyday pick up their daily fix of donuts and down them like grapes :eek:

Yea, i felt really sick afterwards. I try to put off my hunger tell i get home, but im ALWAYS hungry(im skinny) Sometimes i just get a half dozen, have some that day and then save the rest for the next day... it's so un healthy, but so yummy.

I wish there were easier things for me to eat during the day, like instead of donuts, i could eat a sandwich, or nuts, or fruit... but unless i make that stuff the night before, im stuck... Spending money on food you dont NEED sucks, but being hungry is worse.