PDA

View Full Version : Help me troubleshoot my dads computer!

szw
09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Dad in another city uses Bell Sympatico DSL, the kind you "dial into" to connect. I was over there for the last month, and hooked up a dlink wireless router to use. When I left, I just yanked out my router and cables and connected the modem and computer back like it was.

I'm in Calgary again and my dad just called me and says his Internet isn't working. Usually he just opens firefox and a dialog box will pop up and he can click "dial in" or "log in" or whatever it is, and he says this dialog box isn't popping up anymore.

I'm not sure what he has to do to fix this (I usually just fiddle with stuff until it works, not knowing what i'm doing), any of you know what has to be done and how to explain it over the phone?

Thanks for any help

paulj
09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
You need to go into the dlink router config and select PPPOE as the ISP connection type. Make sure to include his user /pass to login.

Not sure if Bell "auto senses" new equipment on the network, but you may also need to call them and give them the MAC address of the new router.

You should also change the default password for the config access and if it's a wireless router, make sure to lock it down so your neighbors don't enjoy the access as well.

Doozer
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
paulj, reread the part I quoted below.... the router isn't attached to the system anymore. Although what you said was great advice for the OP for his own router.

Originally posted by szw
When I left, I just yanked out my router and cables and connected the modem and computer back like it was.

What O/S is your dad using? If it's XP, he should be able to go the Start Menu, then underneath the Control Panel should be a menu option of "Connect To" ... his original connection should be in there. If it doesn't show in that list, then select the option to "Show All Connections" and it should be in there, unless you deleted it.

Once you find it, double-click it and the internet should be back (make sure to test it). If that works, you should be able to right-click and set it to be the default internet connection again.

paulj
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Ah, right you are..thanks Doozer!