PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba offering more free HD-DVD's

BigBadVlad
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Toshiba will be upping the ante coming Oct. 1st with what appears to be 7 free HD-DVD's if you buy a new stand alone HD DVD player. The 5 free movies will be extended to Toshiba computers with HD DVD drives and XBOX 360 HD DVD drives as well. Anybody wanna buy my 360 HD DVD drive for $100? :devil:

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3084&p=6

Hmmm just read this: Sony reveals Blu Ray sales declining...
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8764

avow
09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
hd dvd sure is going down shooting eh? pretty great for consumers as a whole though for sure. now cut the price of those damn things, $30-45 for a movie is retarded.

copynpaste
09-08-2007, 06:31 PM
US only

toyboy88
09-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm alright with the 5 free blu-ray discs I got with my PS3. :D

old&slow
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Future shop flyer lists a toshiba srand alone for $199 this week. That includes 3 free movies...going down shooting?...lol...at these prices everyone and their dog will be buying Toshiba.
And only blue ray charges 35 to 40 for a movie.
HD DVD's are generally 23 to 29 except for the soon discontinued combo discs which was a joke to begin with!

GoChris
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
Future shop flyer lists a toshiba srand alone for $199 this week. That includes 3 free movies...going down shooting?...lol...at these prices everyone and their dog will be buying Toshiba.
And only blue ray charges 35 to 40 for a movie.
HD DVD's are generally 23 to 29 except for the soon discontinued combo discs which was a joke to begin with!

hmm, link? i see one for $299...at $199 i'd pick one up i think. although I hate this fucking format war. I don't care who wins anymore, I just want one format. even the cases aren't the same size so a combo player would be good, but the collection will still look gay

ZEDGE
09-08-2007, 10:14 PM
There will soon be sub $100 HD DVD players at Walmart.. BluRay will be going the way of the umd eventually.

New Chinese involvement could trigger HD DVD price plunge (http://www.betanews.com/article/New_Chinese_Involvement_Could_Trigger_HD_DVD_Price_Plunge/1189196071)

If ever there were a time for either Blu-ray or HD DVD manufacturers to play a trump card, now may be the time, and this could be the one: A consortium of Chinese university engineers and government officials, in cooperation with a Chinese video standards group that includes globally recognized manufacturers, plus the DVD Forum, have come to an agreement on a standard specification for a blue-laser disc mechanism and format specifically for the Chinese market.

The new group will be called the China High Definition DVD Industry Association, or just CHDA, and this is not the last you will hear of it.

The agreement announced early this morning US time is critical, because up until now, China has been reluctant to participate in the high-definition video disc industry unless it had an opportunity to bring its own video encoding standard to bear: AVS, a codec which incorporates elements of MPEG-2, but is otherwise different from -- and some argue, better than -- other MPEG encoding standards and VC-1 in important respects.

Now, the DVD Forum's involvement has evidently made it possible for Chinese manufacturers to produce components that play blue-laser, high-def discs using the Chinese national standard, though which are fundamentally compatible with HD DVD with only minor adjustments.

Also..

http://www.betanews.com/article/Paramount_Switch_to_HD_DVD_Evens_the_Stakes/1187634724

Executives there may also have been swayed by recent announcements made by Chinese manufacturers to produce even lower-price players, with an apparent edge given to HD DVD; as well as Wal-Mart’s decision to exclusively carry low-end HD DVD players in the near future.

No Transformers for Bluray owners... lol

00CivicSi
09-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Picked up one at FS for 199 yesterday! Looks just as good as my Ps3. I think Blu-ray better start thinking of sumthing quick or they will be pulling a beta again

DannyO
09-09-2007, 12:31 AM
I also picked on up for 199, last one at the store on friday, can't go wrong for only 200 bux, HD looks great on it and its pretty good at up-converting DVDs as well, only down side to it is its a slow player, takes awhile to turn on (about 30 secs), but once on its not too bad.

old&slow
09-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

hmm, link? i see one for $299...at $199 i'd pick one up i think. although I hate this fucking format war. I don't care who wins anymore, I just want one format. even the cases aren't the same size so a combo player would be good, but the collection will still look gay

If you can find a flyer from say Friday's paper...take it to london drugs and get them to price match...
Future shop seems to be outta stock...