PDA

View Full Version : my apologies to everyone on the road

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 04:32 PM
haha if any of you guys saw me (03' blue bugeye wrx) stall on 32nd ave, deerfoot northbound (twice) that was me.

holy shit we just got our exedy stg 1 clutch and lightened flywheel installed and may i say its one hard bitch to drive now (or its just a matter of break in time and getting use to)

stalled twice trying to get out of the fricken mechanics parking lot. stalled again on 32nd right before the turnoff onto deerfoot. stalled twice sitting in deerfoot traffic and stalled 1 more time in the parking lot at the bank.

haha there is no such thing as riding the clutch anymore.

have any of you guys had this problem with installing new aftermarket sport/ racing clutches?

i felt like sucha noob...pretty much felt like i was trying to learn standard all over again and its been 4 years going on 5 since i've first started to drive stick. so embarrassing.

HAHA i was laughing soo hard the whole way home, soo many other close calls of stalling.

id come to a red light, id be like o shit GREEN GREEN GREEN haha

shakalaka
09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
haha i know the feeling, the light turns green and you stall the car. You sort of panick a little bit, like wtf..hurry up before the horns start screaming! lol

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 04:45 PM
this dood http://forums.beyond.ca/st/188603/my-1990-crx-si-pics/ has a stage 2 exedy clutch and flywheel...i wonder how it was for him...haha

what we put in was a stage 1 exedy clutch and a 14lbs flywheel (compared to the 23lbs stock flywheel)

86_lude_86
09-06-2007, 04:59 PM
i have heard thats its like that from a guy i know that got a lightened flywheel and he said the rpm just drop off once the clutch is in

1-Bar
09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
been there, especially nice on 17th ave, when you're revving like a n00b haha...

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
been there, especially nice on 17th ave, when you're revving like a n00b haha...

haha ya man exactly that...people probably thought i was trying to show off or something. revving my engine to 2500-3000rpm :rofl:

EK 2.0
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
It's a lil easier in a Honda versus an AWD beast...but yes I have been there and am doing that now...

I have an Exedy Stage 3 with a lightened flywheel. Although the car really wants to rev in the top end...getting her going is a bitch. You will really late mall parking lots now haha...

misterrick
09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
uugghhh, my car is getting a stage 3 SPEC clutch right now and already has a super lightweight flywheel that came on my motor, this could be interesting.......

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
It's a lil easier in a Honda versus an AWD beast...but yes I have been there and am doing that now...

I have an Exedy Stage 3 with a lightened flywheel. Although the car really wants to rev in the top end...getting her going is a bitch. You will really late mall parking lots now haha...

o ya the rpms just fly when you get er going...but the problem is getting her going in the first place!

o man mall parking lots and up hills...

heh heh heh...ill be on the roads again soon to go workout... WATCH OUT!

i wonder how different it is to have a stage *whatever clutch* on a RWD, AWD and FWD car.

EK 2.0
09-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

i wonder how different it is to have a stage *whatever clutch* on a RWD, AWD and FWD car.

When I owned my AWD DSM I had a pretty hardcore clutch in her. The difference being that with a 2WD car versus an AWD car the tires are more willing to break loose if needed. So a lil bit of squealing although frowned upon made driving slightly easier.

The clutch in my DSM was a ACT 6 Puck Solid hub...haha...

4wheeldrift
09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I had an ACT clutch in my subaru for the longest time, and it was a bugger to get going at first. The pedal was so heavy it took a lot of effort to get it down to the engagement point. I always looked at it from the perspective that its better to lay rubber than stall lol the lightweight flywheel can make things interesting since the revs also fall off really quickly as well. It's just a matter of getting used to it, what used to be a little change with the gas pedal is now a lot.

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
mind you my clutch pedal is not heavy at all...to press down on it is a charm, alot easier than my stock clutch, which i thought was odd. i thought it was going to be stiff as shit. but nope.

Chester
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
on a side note: your bro drives like a maniac man, you gotta tell him to take it easy

4wheeldrift
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Fortunately, most of the clutch companies seem to have figured out that you can get as much holding ability by monkeying with the friction material of the clutch as you can by going to a super stiff pressure plate. The pressure plate on my ACT was so stiff it actually bent the shift fork after about a couple years in the car. And that was their mild clutch at the time. That was quite awhile ago now though.

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Chester
on a side note: your bro drives like a maniac man, you gotta tell him to take it easy

my bro or my dad? my dad just took it for a rip around the block like 20min ago...my bro went for a rip around the block 1.5hrs ago.

=P im pretty sure it was my dad...i could hear him go around the entire block...my bro not so much.

Chester
09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Not right now, I'm talkin about a week or two ago on country hills.

edit: it was def your bro, not you or your dad haha

GTS Jeff
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I used to have a Cusco Reinforced clutch (which is a rebranded Exedy Stage I according to some) and a Techno Pro Spirit chromoly flywheel (3.9kg) on my AE86. I couldn't drive the car properly for almost a week, and even afterwards I stalled it occasionally if I wasn't paying attention.

The trick at first is to stab the throttle and raise the revs a bit before starting out like normal. Eventually I got good enough to not do that, but I still sometimes did it on hills and stuff. Eventually your chicken legs will toughen up and be able to handle the stiff clutch pedal to slip it a bit.

harv91
09-06-2007, 08:53 PM
i have been driving for like 2-3 years and i have only ONCE seen someone stall. I myself stalled numerous times but from my car i have never seen anyone else stall lol

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

The trick at first is to stab the throttle and raise the revs a bit before starting out like normal. Eventually I got good enough to not do that, but I still sometimes did it on hills and stuff. Eventually your chicken legs will toughen up and be able to handle the stiff clutch pedal to slip it a bit.

ya i figured that part out about stabbing the throttle.

with my old clutch id be able to let go of the clutch around 1500 rpm...with this i have to raise it to 2500...but the thing with that is the clutch grabs so quick it feels as if im dropping the clutch as i would on my stock clutch. im not exactly dropping the clutch cuz its only 2500rpms but it just grabs soo suddenly.

kinda get what i mean?

the problem behind this is...wrx's (my years especially) have weak first gears. im just a tad worried that it'll do quite the toll on my tranny.

SilverBoost
09-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Personally I found my aftermarket clutch (JWT) was easier to engage, not harder. You definitely new where the thing started to grab vs it feeling very light stock. Even my g/f who was learning stick found it a lot easier to learn on the aftermarket clutch. If anything, the only side effect I had wasn't stalling it, but chirping it unintentionally from a stop. My left calf is also now 3 inches larger than my right thanks to calgary traffic.

962 kid
09-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

When I owned my AWD DSM I had a pretty hardcore clutch in her. The difference being that with a 2WD car versus an AWD car the tires are more willing to break loose if needed. So a lil bit of squealing although frowned upon made driving slightly easier.

The clutch in my DSM was a ACT 6 Puck Solid hub...haha...

holy hardcore batman! I've driven an awd tsi with an ACT 2600 and wondered why everyone was whining haha it was pretty tame. I think the worst clutch I've ever dealt with was either rage2's 944, which was mega embarrassing, or a 600hp 996tt with a 6-puck. After driving either of those cars, everything else feels like a tercel lol.

I find the easiest way to deal with a racing clutch is to press your heel into the floor and only rotate it there, keeping the rest of your foot stiff.

whiskas
09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
If this was nasoic we'd be telling you to do redline launches.

XylathaneGTR
09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

I find the easiest way to deal with a racing clutch is to press your heel into the floor and only rotate it there, keeping the rest of your foot stiff.

That was the way i learned, and tried to drive.

The clutch in my 240 was a short and grippy as hell (Exeddy triple puck IIRC)...so that seemed to work pretty well.

b_t
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by harv91
i have been driving for like 2-3 years and i have only ONCE seen someone stall. I myself stalled numerous times but from my car i have never seen anyone else stall lol

That's because it is so embarrassing, you gain the magic ability to restart your car in about a quarter of a second after it happens and no one else has time to notice.

LongCity
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by b_t

That's because it is so embarrassing, you gain the magic ability to restart your car in about a quarter of a second after it happens and no one else has time to notice.

Amen to that! hahah

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by b_t

haha ooo but when you have an exhaust people can notice. HAHA

if it were stock you wouldnt hear the start up.

l/l/rX
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
also quick question...how is your guys driving now? i assume you guys all have had your clutches n flywheels in for a while now.

are you guys still jerking from first all the time? or do you guys now got it down and its totally smooth?

theres no way to feather these clutches eh?

i mean ya come race time it dont matter about any of that stuff...but for normal daily driving.

1-Bar
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Its good, after 2 weeks, down pat. But then driving a buddy's stock car for the day, then back into your own car....its like starting all over again, lol.....(not to mention almost putting your foot through your buddy's firewall :rofl: :rofl: ) Ah, good times....

GQBalla
09-06-2007, 11:56 PM
oh man jarett, sounds intense but now looks like ill never be able to drive your car...

btw i like what you drive now LOL

GTS Jeff
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM

ya i figured that part out about stabbing the throttle.

with my old clutch id be able to let go of the clutch around 1500 rpm...with this i have to raise it to 2500...but the thing with that is the clutch grabs so quick it feels as if im dropping the clutch as i would on my stock clutch. im not exactly dropping the clutch cuz its only 2500rpms but it just grabs soo suddenly.

kinda get what i mean?

the problem behind this is...wrx's (my years especially) have weak first gears. im just a tad worried that it'll do quite the toll on my tranny.

Yeah I do, and it just sounds like you need to get more sensitive with your clutch foot. An Exedy Stage 1 and light flywheel isn't that hardcore, and after awhile I was able to drive it normally, no stabbing, and just starting from 1000rpm smoothly. But of course, by going so low in the rpms, you run the risk of stalling, so do 1500 to make things easier. The throttle stab part makes things fool proof though.

Whatever you do, don't start off from 2500rpm. You'll wear your clutch lifetime down substantially doing that sorta thing...

l/l/rX
09-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Yeah I do, and it just sounds like you need to get more sensitive with your clutch foot. An Exedy Stage 1 and light flywheel isn't that hardcore, and after awhile I was able to drive it normally, no stabbing, and just starting from 1000rpm smoothly. But of course, by going so low in the rpms, you run the risk of stalling, so do 1500 to make things easier. The throttle stab part makes things fool proof though.

Whatever you do, don't start off from 2500rpm. You'll wear your clutch lifetime down substantially doing that sorta thing...

thanks for the advice. ill keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

ya i know that the stage 1 and light flywheel isnt hardcore at all, but this is the first time i've ever driven something so different. i've driven tons of manual cars and ya nothing even comes close to this.

so its just something i gotta get use to, but with your guys helpful tips, should work out fine in the end.

thanks a bunch!

l/l/rX
09-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

btw i like what you drive now LOL

duncha? ya me too...its the wknd tomorrow! time to whip out the sister!!! WOOP WOOP! HAHAHA:D :D

speedracer
09-07-2007, 01:15 AM
holy shit we just got our exedy stg 1 clutch and lightened flywheel installed and may i say its one hard bitch to drive now (or its just a matter of break in time and getting use to)

Follow the break in procedure but allow the clutch to rest inbetween (ie don't drive the car for a few hours).

Takes about 1000km for break in.

eur0
09-07-2007, 03:20 AM
I am looking at the same setup (Exedy stage 1 and a Fidanza 8lb flywheel)...I had a stage 1 in my last prelude and was comparable to OEM. Not sure why yours would feel so tough?

-Jay21-
09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I just put in my rps streetmax clutch 2000kms ago, after doing the work I thought I could have a nice relaxing drive home from work. I was wrong, felt like learning how to drive my car all over again, I love it now though. :thumbsup:

Annoyingrob
09-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by -Jay21-
I just put in my rps streetmax clutch 2000kms ago, after doing the work I thought I could have a nice relaxing drive home from work. I was wrong, felt like learning how to drive my car all over again, I love it now though. :thumbsup:
In my Supra, I have an RPS Max clutch, and 3200lb pressure plate :)

That thing defines "Stiff pedal".

After driving my Celica for almost two months, and going back to my Surpa, I swear, I stalled it like 3 times just getting it out of my garage. It engages almost immediately.

pinoyhero
09-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Hehe, reminds me of some ugly rush hour in glenmore when my dad was first teaching me standard in his passat, you'll get used to the new clutch I'm sure.

l/l/rX
09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
so day 3 update:

its not to bad now...gotten use to it...parking lots though, i seem to be burning the clutch a little, get that funky smell inside the cabin.

i still have the sketchy starts though at times. not to bad.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
09-08-2007, 12:51 PM
so day 3 update:

its not to bad now...gotten use to it...parking lots though, i seem to be burning the clutch a little, get that funky smell inside the cabin.

i still have the sketchy starts though at times. not to bad.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yikes, be careful man, clutch burning during breakin is noooot good! That's a good way to mess up a clutch for life!

l/l/rX
09-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Yikes, be careful man, clutch burning during breakin is noooot good! That's a good way to mess up a clutch for life!

hrmmm not good...ionno clutching in, clutching out, and gassing at the same time in the parking lots is whats giving me that burnt smell.

962 kid
09-08-2007, 01:48 PM

hrmmm not good...ionno clutching in, clutching out, and gassing at the same time in the parking lots is whats giving me that burnt smell.

you need to find an empty parking lot and re-teach yourself how to drive lol... you shouldn't be smelling anything at all. Try what I said about pressing your heel into the floor, and just take it slowly. At first don't even touch the throttle, just practice until you can get the car out to a roll with no throttle at all.

l/l/rX
09-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

you need to find an empty parking lot and re-teach yourself how to drive lol... you shouldn't be smelling anything at all. Try what I said about pressing your heel into the floor, and just take it slowly. At first don't even touch the throttle, just practice until you can get the car out to a roll with no throttle at all.

oh i know where the friction point is...just need to get a better feel for the clutch n ya pretty much how to work it better.

Milk2%
09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
spec stg 3 with a 11lb flywheel. I really haven't had a problem, just need to find the grab point.

SilverRex
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
haha reminds me when I first took my 01 wrx home. stalled twice on 14street meets john laurie waiting on an incline traffic lights to turn left.

boy did it feel weird and it only made it worse being on an angle.

haha but thats in the past now :D

EK 2.0
09-08-2007, 09:57 PM

but the burning smell equates to glazing. Which is very easy to do on a new clutch and which will shorten its life so much....

2000impreza
09-09-2007, 01:38 AM
The exedy stage 1 is not hard to drive with at all. I drove around all day in a car with the exedy stage 1 and felt almost stock compared to ACT 6 puck or RPS Max.

benyl
09-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't understand what the point of getting a clutch like this is when the tranny can't take anymore power than stock.

Wonder when we will see the "my tranny housing cracked" thread.