PDA

View Full Version : 350z VDC question

G3500
09-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi All,

This question is for all the 350z owners out there. I'm thinking of purchasing an enthusiast 350z from the states it has the LSD and Traction Control but no VDC. If I were to put blizzak winter tires on it and throw sandbags in the trunk would it still be ok to drive without the vdc in the winter?

Thanks

Eleanor
09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
just as long as you don't drive like a dumbass, you should be fine. VDC just keeps you from flicking the back end out. Traction control + winter tires + taking it easy should be more than adequate (sp?).

brandon
09-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by G3500
Hi All,

This question is for all the 350z owners out there. I'm thinking of purchasing an enthusiast 350z from the states it has the LSD and Traction Control but no VDC. If I were to put blizzak winter tires on it and throw sandbags in the trunk would it still be ok to drive without the vdc in the winter?

Thanks

vdc = traction control..
explain?

GTS Jeff
09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by brandon

vdc = traction control..
explain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

Steeztastic5000
09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Sandbags really wont help you much they will just make your trunk filthy and the traction control is just going to piss you off to be honest. I have it on my G35 (TCS/VDC) and even on icy roads I always turn it off cause feels awful when your engine just starts to cut out, the only place you'll really use it would be on the highway (or at high speeds).

Stay out of the high RPMS on sheer ice, get the blizzaks (or pilot alpins like I have) and you'll be fine.

brandon
09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

lol, I know what it is.. what I am saying is that vdc is nissan/infiniti's esc..

2EFNFAST
09-06-2007, 11:37 PM
VDC is traction control; all G35/350Zs have them - button lower left of teh steering wheel.

GTS Jeff
09-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by brandon

lol, I know what it is.. what I am saying is that vdc is nissan/infiniti's esc.. I don't think you do, since you're equating VDC to traction control.

Traction control is a system that cuts throttle to stop wheelspin. Think straight line acceleration.

VDC is a system that helps a car corner without under or over steer. It does this by combining ABS, TCS, and braking of individual wheels.

brandon
09-07-2007, 04:26 AM
I don't think you do, since you're equating VDC to traction control.

Traction control is a system that cuts throttle to stop wheelspin. Think straight line acceleration.

VDC is a system that helps a car corner without under or over steer. It does this by combining ABS, TCS, and braking of individual wheels.

:thumbsup:
You're right! I didn't know that! my bad then! lol

syeve
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Steeztastic5000
Sandbags really wont help you much they will just make your trunk filthy and the traction control is just going to piss you off to be honest. I have it on my G35 (TCS/VDC) and even on icy roads I always turn it off cause feels awful when your engine just starts to cut out, the only place you'll really use it would be on the highway (or at high speeds).

Stay out of the high RPMS on sheer ice, get the blizzaks (or pilot alpins like I have) and you'll be fine.

I would agree the g35 doesnt need bags...its got some good weight in the back. The 350 (even though it weights like 3300lbs) feels very light in the rear on snow and ice. I got stuck at a few sets of lights with a slight incline and icey conditions...it just wouldnt move.

With a couple sand bags and a full tank of gas it was MUCH better, never got stuck or had any issues after that. I would DEFN put some bags in and keep the tank full, you will be fine.

Steeztastic5000
09-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by syeve

The 350 (even though it weights like 3300lbs) feels very light in the rear on snow and ice. I got stuck at a few sets of lights with a slight incline and icey conditions...it just wouldnt move.

With a couple sand bags and a full tank of gas it was MUCH better, never got stuck or had any issues after that. I would DEFN put some bags in and keep the tank full, you will be fine.

What kind of tires were you on when you got stuck? The only reason I ask is cause I just bought a 350 and I assumed it would be very similar to the G in the winter, I was just going to slap Pilot Alpins on it from costo and call it a day. Hope I dont need the sandbags, guess I'll find out.

syeve
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I am running blizzacs, brand new. I don't think the tire would really make a difference...you can just feel it, when there is a slight uphill and and snow or ice, there is just ZERO traction without sand. The car would literally just sit there (I tried rocking, 2nd gear starts etc). With sand (200lbs) I never had a problem.

Don't let this scare you though, the 350 is a decent car in winter, last winter was my first with a RWD and I made it through just fine.:thumbsup:

picmerollin
09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
youll be fine, as long as you know what you doing and have experience with rwd. i am pretty sure the tract control will take care of you for starting and accellerating you just cant expect it to be idiot proof if your going into icy corners. but i havnt driven it in winter and sure the hell dont plan on it (unless my pathfinder dies on me).
i drove my rx-7 turbo II all winter (years ago, rip TII) and it had none of the modern goodies we find on our 350z's and i was fine with blizzaks, actually it was a total blast. but the turbo rotaries had very low torque when off boost so that helped. good luck and keep it off the curbs!!

tylersphile
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
You would be ok, but VDC is AMAZING on these cars (having a G35 myself). I would want VDC on mine if I bought it.

It doesn't come into play very often, but it IS my favorite feature of this car. You CANNOT loose control of the vehicle. I can drive on a skating rink, and crank the wheel from side to side as hard as I can, and it will not loose control. VDC will brake the inside tires to assist the negotiation of a turn on a slippery surface. It is an amazing system, I personally wouldn't settle for less now that I've experienced it.

Once again... YOU CAN'T LOOSE CONTROL OF THE CAR WITH VDC. I've tried VERY hard... unsucessfully.

It BLOWS away my old front wheel drive with traction control, and I can beat a lot of 4 wheel drives off the line (on snow/ice). And it helps keep my supercharger under control!:thumbsup:

tylersphile
09-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I do turn my VDC off sometimes - it is fun, but when it's on, and you hit a patch of ice, doing 100km on a three lane busy highway, it will react 1,000,000 times faster than you can.

GET VDC!!!

iceburns288
09-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Just make sure you maintain the same tire diameter ratio (F:R) as stock (to within a few %) and you should be fine.

GTS Jeff
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by tylersphile
You would be ok, but VDC is AMAZING on these cars (having a G35 myself). I would want VDC on mine if I bought it.

It doesn't come into play very often, but it IS my favorite feature of this car. You CANNOT loose control of the vehicle. I can drive on a skating rink, and crank the wheel from side to side as hard as I can, and it will not loose control. VDC will brake the inside tires to assist the negotiation of a turn on a slippery surface. It is an amazing system, I personally wouldn't settle for less now that I've experienced it.

Once again... YOU CAN'T LOOSE CONTROL OF THE CAR WITH VDC. I've tried VERY hard... unsucessfully.

It BLOWS away my old front wheel drive with traction control, and I can beat a lot of 4 wheel drives off the line (on snow/ice). And it helps keep my supercharger under control!:thumbsup: Wow. People, don't listen to this guy.

Gorilla
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Wow. People, don't listen to this guy.

:werd:

benyl
09-13-2007, 04:20 PM

It BLOWS away my old front wheel drive with traction control, and I can beat a lot of 4 wheel drives off the line (on snow/ice). And it helps keep my supercharger under control!:thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

This is the biggest piece of BS I have heard. You quite clearly didn't try hard enough to lose control.

Haha, you make it sound like VDC defies the laws of physics.

like GTS Jeff said, don't listen to this guy.

autosm
09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
If this helps there is talk of making Stability controll /VDC manditory in the US

Its a huge safety feature worth the extra $

Snow Tires will be better than all season tires and VDC

TNation
09-13-2007, 10:40 PM

hahahaha gayest advice ever posted

Steeztastic5000
09-14-2007, 01:46 AM

Man, do you work for Nissan or something? Your worse than a brochure.

The VDC on my G35 must've been broken cause i lost 'er on wet pavement with the VDC on.

There is no substitute for practice and experience driving a higher powered RWD on slippery roads, if your going to rely on something like VDC we'll see you in the ditch.

That being said, you really want to make sure you get the viscous limited slip, the base Z doesnt have it and I already notice my right tire always is the only one spinning just since it got cold in the mornings. Thats going to suck on ice.

SunniSunShine
09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
i learned something in this thread

http://warnerkirby.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/the_more_you_know775718.jpg