PDA

View Full Version : Sleep at work?

no_joke
09-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Am I the only one who gets sleepy at work? Y'know sitting on your butt all day, then you have lunch, go back to sitting and staring at a report or a spreadsheet and then your eyelids start to feel heavy... I mean a desk job isn't always stimulating and if you didn't get enough shuteye the night before- well, sometimes you could use a siesta. OK, so it's not a big problem for me (yet) but does anyone or know of anyone who sleeps at work? Like, head down on the forearms and drooling on the desk. I mean, I used do it all the time when I was studying in university and if you ever set foot in the library during midterms, half the people were sleeping or dozing off. Anyways, are there any workplaces that put up with this? I don't see any good reason why not, except for office cultural taboo.

cityhunter2501
09-06-2007, 07:30 PM
haha buddy you have no idea.

during slow seasons in laboratory we had a bunch of boards under the table and would lie and sleep there.
some sleeps in the chair, others in their car.
me? I drive home and sleep for 3 hours :rofl:

we work GY shift though

joyridder
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
I hear you and then some. I am a bookkeeper/recep.....
my actual work per week is less than 3 hours at the most, sadly I fall asleep consecutively at 9, 11, 2, 4. Yes boring job but they pay very well and have a nice benefit package.....:dunno: Luckily I am allowed to do what I want, my own client work, Internet etc. But its really mentally exhausting 95% of the time, fun times:rofl: :clap:

Hakkola
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I remember there was some net company where you were allowed to sleep and they had a games room and everything. Was that google back in the day. I know this wouldn't really pertain to you or the company you work for, but this reminds me of that... :nut: Anybody know what I'm talking about?

shakalaka
09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Everytime I am not doing anything productive, i.e just sitting free, I tend to start falling asleep. That could be work, school, whatever.

Some of the law lectures are so boring, that if I can't fall asleep, I go in the class and that puts me to sleep. lol

MackDawg
09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Ah man i find after lunch i'm the most tired, so I just head to the can and sit on the old pot for the better part of an hour sleeping.

peace

Marc.

thrasher22
09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a terrible coffee addiction :D
If all else fails I go sit in the bathroom with the seat down and take a 20 min nap haha

anarchy
09-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
I have a terrible coffee addiction :D
If all else fails I go sit in the bathroom with the seat down and take a 20 min nap haha
I thought I was the genius who thought of this lol!

Just go sit in the toilet and take a napper. What are they going to say, what were you doing in there so long?

lilmira
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I remember there was some net company where you were allowed to sleep and they had a games room and everything. Was that google back in the day. I know this wouldn't really pertain to you or the company you work for, but this reminds me of that... :nut: Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, the best company to work for was and probably still is Google (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/snapshots/1.html).

infected
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
When I was working this Summer, I'd try to find things to do whenever I felt tired. There's plenty of stuff waiting to be done so might as well try to get as much done as possible and head to bed tired so you can get a good sleep and start again the next day. If there is nothing else to do then we usually start talking about our own vehicles, sometimes we even pull them in to work on.

eb0i
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Why not stimulate your brain and do other things if you just aren't busy? Crosswords/Sudoku...etc. That might ward off the napsies:dunno: Or maybe you are not getting enough sugar and getting tired easily :dunno:

98type_r
09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I used to work in a call centre and one of the guys there used to take naps fairly regularly.

I always get tired post lunch, i'm pretty useless. The worst is if we have a meeting in a boardroom with a powerpoint presentation and the lights dimmed.

Get up and go for a short walk, get the blood flowing again, that usually wakes me up.

Amysicle
09-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I find I get extremely sleepy when I'm trying really hard to focus (whether it takes a lot of concentration or if it's really boring stuff and I'm trying to not get distracted).

I've fallen asleep sitting up at my old job at least twice. I'm not sure if my head slumps over or not (I wake up sitting up still with no puddle of drool on my keyboard) or how long I'm really out for. :dunno:

ekguy
09-06-2007, 10:15 PM
i believe some countries in europe actually have nap times during the day for everyone. this is definintly where canada should be heading.

infected
09-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
I've fallen asleep sitting up at my old job at least twice. I'm not sure if my head slumps over or not (I wake up sitting up still with no puddle of drool on my keyboard) or how long I'm really out for. :dunno:

Haha. Probably dried up already.

topmade
09-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Just don't get caught like this guy did :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVp7b5gzqU

no_joke
09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Haha go for a napper... I never thought of that but I think our washrooms have those no-lid toilets (just the seat) so I'd have to make a compromise in order to do that. It's just that I work in an open-office environment so I can't get away with too much without being spotted. So no crosswords or dozing off. For now, I'll have to rely on the ol' hand on chin, resting on one elbow, as I pretend to study a report on my desk, with my eyes closed.
One tip that I've heard before is to always be in the same position whether you're wide awake or dozing off so no one's the wiser. I have noticed that to stave off the drowsiness, I tend to just start eating something even when I'm not hungry, but luckily, I don't eat much junk food. I can see how people who try to quit smoking gain weight now... Just using food to substitute for something else. I got it- I'll start chewing gum! Or get the fuck off of Beyond when I should already be in bed. :nut:

Lex350
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I find the lighting in a room has a lot to do with how sleepy I feel.

turbotrip
09-06-2007, 10:41 PM
last year I went out to sleep in my car at 9am for what I thought would be like an hour, and woke up at like 6pm lol

kaput
09-06-2007, 10:55 PM

TomcoPDR
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I find a 20-30 minute nap mid day doubles my productivity, I don't know why it isn't encouraged.

:werd: when I'm at work (for those who knows what I do), I just find the keys to a dark tinted mini-van that's parked deep within the lot and take 15 min naps...

Darkane
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
It could be the foods you guys eat that make you sleepy as well. Try to keep low Glycemic carbs flowing like Whole grains, Oats, Fruits. See the energy level then :thumbsup: Eat every 3hours, have protein and something Low GI. Avoid sugar in coffee and all that Jazz.

GQBalla
09-06-2007, 11:48 PM
i sometimes nap at work.

ahhaha

SCHIDER23
09-07-2007, 04:51 AM
I walked around at work with a big mark on my forehead from my watch when I doze off for about an hour :poosie:

viff3r
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
One of my former co-workers...he would do this every lunch hour.

CSVT
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I work at primewest, our lounge was voted the best in the city, couches, big screen TV, ping pong, fooseball tables, air hockey, beer etc. It's pretty sweet, im sure if i wasent scared for getting in trouble i could go take a nap in there.

Depending on my sleep, i usually hit the 4:30/5:00 wall and tend to doze off, getting up and getting some water usually gets me awake tell 5:30ish when i leave.

At school i always used to sleep during class. One time i fell asleep during a lecture, and when i woke up there was a different class taking notes.. i felt really dumb...

avow
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
One of my former co-workers...he would do this every lunch hour.
lol what the hell, did you just go up to him and take a picture?

jdmXSI
09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Shit, i remember when i used to work for parks&rec. I used to sleep at least an hour every day. I think my all time record was 4 hours. Come to think of it i kinda miss that job! lol

ninjak84
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
When things go badly on site and production gets delayed indefinitely, I sleep in my truck for hours at a time. Never at the office. Certainly not in the lab.

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
during slow seasons in laboratory we had a bunch of boards under the table and would lie and sleep there.
some sleeps in the chair, others in their car.

Wow ... Sounds like a tight ship.

l/l/rX
09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by CSVT

At school i always used to sleep during class. One time i fell asleep during a lecture, and when i woke up there was a different class taking notes.. i felt really dumb...

HAHAHA that is wicked.

fuck at sait since the classes are soo small...i've actually had the instructor(s) come by a few times n slam a text book right by my head...it would scare the shit out of me!

everyone would laugh. :cry:

CSVT
09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
My teacher in Soci 203 or whatever, she hated when people slept in her class, it was in one of the big Science theaters and had like 200 people in the class. One time i fell asleep and she yelled and pointed at me... i work up and just pretended it was someone behind me, it was totally awesome.

teggypimp95
09-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah sometimes usually after lunch or over lunch, i will close my office door and recline my chair and have a snooze. Doctors say if you have a nap only make it 30 minutes. They say any longer will just make you more tired.
If i cant nap i got get a monster energy drink. I cant even keep my legs still after i drink that lol.
Also some people say putting plants in your office helps. They release nice oxygen to keep u alert.

JordanEG6
09-07-2007, 01:11 PM
when im sleepy i go to a different floor, sitt in a stall in the bathroom and passout hahaa

nismodrifter
09-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I used to take the C-Train to U of C in my first year. I fell asleep on the way home one time. My stop was the end of the line (which was Fish Creek at that time). I woke up and the train was going NORTH and was nearing Anderson. I was confused as shit and freaked out. I had no idea WTF was going on, where the hell I was going, and why the hell I was on the train haha.

viff3r
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by avow

lol what the hell, did you just go up to him and take a picture?
Well, my other option was to rig up a pulley system through the ceiling tiles, and crawl through some of the ducts to position myself above his cubicle, and hire a frenchman to be my anchor up in the ceiling while he slowly lowered me in a complex harness system which would allow me to drop to precisely the right angle, allowing me to take a photo just moments before being snapped back up to safety. But that seemed hard, so yes, I just walked up and took a fucking picture.

Super_Geo
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
They key to napping and not getting in shit is:
1) Do it during lunchour!
2) Don't sleep for longer than 20 minutes.

If you're out for longer than 20 mins, you will wake up tired. Anything under that is a nice little refersher nap though.

If I'm tired I'll grab a quick lunch, close the door to my office and then have a nice 20-30 minute nap with an alarm set on my cellphone. :angel:

riceeater
09-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
They key to napping and not getting in shit is:
1) Do it during lunchour!
2) Don't sleep for longer than 20 minutes.

If you're out for longer than 20 mins, you will wake up tired. Anything under that is a nice little refersher nap though.

If I'm tired I'll grab a quick lunch, close the door to my office and then have a nice 20-30 minute nap with an alarm set on my cellphone. :angel:

it's actually proven that 15-20 minute naps are better, coz your brain doesnt go into deeper sleep.... if you sleep longer, when you wake up, for the first half hour or so, your brain is actually still pumping in chemicals to help you fall back asleep quickly... that's why you feel sleepy after longer naps...

also, what country is it where a lot of people actually take an hour off at lunch to sleep? i THINK it's japan, but i might be wrong ?? i kinda like that idea...

no_joke
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
I have read that only Spaniards engage in the practice of siestas. But in some countries (like Peru) they take like 3 hour lunches and get off work that much later, but that's plenty of time to grab a power nap.

no_joke
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Sigh, the advantages of having a door...

broken_legs
09-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Why not stimulate your brain and do other things if you just aren't busy? Crosswords/Sudoku...etc. That might ward off the napsies:dunno: Or maybe you are not getting enough sugar and getting tired easily :dunno:

More like too much sugar

blood sugar goes up after lunch and then you go into an insulin coma, not even a nap is going to help that

It could be the foods you guys eat that make you sleepy as well. Try to keep low Glycemic carbs flowing like Whole grains, Oats, Fruits. See the energy level then Eat every 3hours, have protein and something Low GI. Avoid sugar in coffee and all that Jazz.

^^^ :werd:

I noticed when i cut of the carbs out of my diet I never crashed after meals, never had the afternoon sleepies, and just more even and energetic all around.

Amysicle
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by no_joke
I have read that only Spaniards engage in the practice of siestas. But in some countries (like Peru) they take like 3 hour lunches and get off work that much later, but that's plenty of time to grab a power nap.

Our Spanish teacher from Argentina told us that it was common practice everywhere in South America for everyone to take a break and shut down from 11am to about 2 or 3 pm and take an extended lunch/break because it was too hot to work. She mentioned how it was starting to go away with cities and countries that became more industrialized and followed the same working hours as the North Americans and Europeans.

Schwa
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62123&stc=1&d=1153256972

Wall and cube to avoid detection

eb0i
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle

Our Spanish teacher from Argentina told us that it was common practice everywhere in South America for everyone to take a break and shut down from 11am to about 2 or 3 pm and take an extended lunch/break because it was too hot to work. She mentioned how it was starting to go away with cities and countries that became more industrialized and followed the same working hours as the North Americans and Europeans.

Mind you the countries that do "siestas" are usually pretty hot in the afternoon, and doing this skips the hottest part of the day. I know France does it too.

SCHIDER23
09-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Man I was a bit late today for work slept in and now time for a nap :poosie:

ex1z7
09-08-2007, 11:46 AM
when I was working the graveyard shift I would sleep 20 minutes at a time between actually having to do things.. If my phone rang, someone else would nudge me, it was like an unwritten rule - if someone was ringing, wake them, if not, leave 'em.

Now I'm back on days with no time in between, and everyone higher up is busy cracking down harder, so I relocate a lot and nap when it's not busy - 6 am shifts are sort of a must when it comes to napping..

l/l/rX
09-08-2007, 01:06 PM
uuuh came into work super hungover/ partially drunk today...had a nice 45min nap. YAY for a dead bank!