PDA

View Full Version : U of C First Year Student Thread

toyboy88
09-06-2007, 08:44 PM
There was one for Sait newbies, and MRC newbies...

Now that U of C 101 is wrapping up this week, and regular classes start on Monday for us "dinos" haha.

Just wondering who else is a newbie at U of C this year?

First name and program your in?

Just trying to see who else is there from Beyond. Maybe put some reality to usernames LOL?

I'll start:
Ryan, Finance + Economics Combined Degree

Later! :D

infected
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Terence, Accounting.

Disoblige
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Yo Ryan! :burnout:

David - First Year Engineering

No hot chicks :cry:

Gainsbarre
09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

Ryan, Finance + Economics Combined Degree

Ah Ha! Those were my majors...of course, I didn't finally settle on them until my fourth year -- just graduated from both of them this past June.

I am very familiar with both programs (courses, professors, and so on), so feel free to let me know if you have any questions about either :)

toomuchb00st
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Moe, Bachelor Of Science degree.....:zzz:

Dehvee
09-06-2007, 09:46 PM
David, Engineering

al-ti2d
09-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Alex, Accounting

for all the haskayne peeps here.. did you guys attend uofc 101 today? good god.. what an absolute waste of time it was!

Hakkola
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Not first year, but I'm there. I never went to UofC 101, my sister did it for nursing and said it was alright, but I wouldn't waste my time.

al-ti2d
09-06-2007, 10:09 PM
^ lol i know your sister actually. we upgraded chem30 together haha.

infected
09-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Haskayne was a little bit weird. Felt kinda like brainwashing.

WHO ARE WE???
:rofl:

al-ti2d
09-06-2007, 10:13 PM
lol! thanks to today.. i have a bit of a certain hate for engineering students now......... they slapped me everytime i refused to say that i would kick an engineer where the sun doesn't shine.

haha jk! but it really was a brainwashing.."university will be the time of your lives!!" "join the clubs or else you're going to be a nobody!" "haskayne is your new best friend!"

turbotrip
09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
lol! thanks to today.. i have a bit of a certain hate for engineering students now......... they slapped me everytime i refused to say that i would kick an engineer where the sun doesn't shine.

haha your hate for engineers will only grow as the years go by. in general they are the biggest group of nerds in the university lol

ZigZagZ
09-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Everyone at the university is a nerd :p

Boki - 1st/2nd Year Engineering

Dehvee
09-07-2007, 10:09 AM

haha jk! but it really was a brainwashing.."university will be the time of your lives!!" "join the clubs or else you're going to be a nobody!" "haskayne is your new best friend!"

I heard you guys called us the Faculty of Sausage :rofl: :(

boredengineer
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Business is where students go when they don't have the grades for engineering :poosie:

You take business classes as your easy options in engineering :dunno:

PS: UofC 101 = big waste of time :thumbsdow

Eleanor
09-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by boredengineer
Business is where students go when they don't have the grades for engineering :poosie:

So true, so very very true :rofl:

Street_Soldier
09-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Disagree. Business people are people that aren't sure what they want to do as a career. Engineers think they are smarter than everyone else almost as nerdy as Comp Sci students.

CSVT
09-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Tyler-Economics.

School sucks. Get ready for worlds of stress.

Enjoy first year, it's either going to make you hate school, or love it... i bet you cant guess how i feel about it..:nut:

boredengineer
09-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Engineers think they are smarter than everyone else almost as nerdy as Comp Sci students.

:drama: It's university I don't think I have ever seen someone call someone else a nerd. That might have been an insult in High School but come on get real... Once you are past 18 no one thinks it is not "cool" to do well in school.

toyboy88
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Ah Ha! Those were my majors...of course, I didn't finally settle on them until my fourth year -- just graduated from both of them this past June.

I am very familiar with both programs (courses, professors, and so on), so feel free to let me know if you have any questions about either :)

Sweet! Haha...that's great then. I'll probably write you a PM this weekend when I get more time, just to get some more info/general.

Thanks again!

Alex, Accounting

for all the haskayne peeps here.. did you guys attend uofc 101 today? good god.. what an absolute waste of time it was!

HOLY!!! U of C 101 is the dumbest, biggest waste of time EVER. I learned like one thing I didn't know honestly. They just repeated every single thing you already knew (most of them were common sense anyways! WTF?

HyperZell
09-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Lol wtf? Isn't the high school prereq for engineering like 72, whereas it's like 85 for Haskayne?

I know tons of people who are trying to switch into Business from something else but are having trouble because the GPA req is like 3.2 or something. It's not a refuge for people to go to when they can't get into anything else. You're mistaken Business for Sciences.

And yes, Eng and Comp Sci = the biggest nerds in the U.

Hamann
09-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Chris, International Relations

Went to UofC 101, good time, nothing special, sure noticed the lack of hotties though :(

HiSpec
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Chris, 1st Engg
Do we have to attend any of the lab on the first week of school?

toyboy88
09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
Chris, International Relations

Went to UofC 101, good time, nothing special, sure noticed the lack of hotties though :(

Dude which faculty group where you in? Because the Haskayne groups had some pretty decent eye-candy! Espicially on thursday when more people were there...

Originally posted by HiSpec
Chris, 1st Engg
Do we have to attend any of the lab on the first week of school?

That's acutally what I was wondering too? I got a MATH251 lab on Monday and don't wanna look like an idiot haha.

:D

al-ti2d
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
i have a tutorial first thing on tuesday and the lecture hasn't even begun for it... do i still go??

HyperZell
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
The general rule is that there are no labs or tutorials in the first week, although (fittingly) some eng classes have them. It's up to you to find out...

Nav13
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Lol wtf? Isn't the high school prereq for engineering like 72, whereas it's like 85 for Haskayne?

I believe engg is around 78, and the reason why Haskayne is so much higher is because your allowed to use an option as one of the 5 courses used to calculate your average. Oh and just for the record I am not in engineering.

boredengineer
09-07-2007, 11:53 PM

It's 80% for haskayne and 78% for engineering. (http://www.ucalgary.ca/futurestudents/node/248) Considering the courses which engineering uses for it's admission requirements it makes a lot of sense. (MATH 30, 31, CHEM 30, PHYS 30, ENG 30)

HyperZell
09-08-2007, 01:37 AM
I stand corrected by the numbers, but Haskayne is not where students who couldn't get into eng go - that much is clear.

urbannomad
09-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

haha your hate for engineers will only grow as the years go by. in general they are the biggest group of nerds in the university lol

dude!

aren't you in engineering? :rofl:

Hamann
09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by toyboy88

Dude which faculty group where you in? Because the Haskayne groups had some pretty decent eye-candy! Espicially on thursday when more people were there...

Lol im in Social Sciences, i saw some 10's and a couple 9's but they were very few and far between :(

Hakkola
09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
^ lol i know your sister actually. we upgraded chem30 together haha.

Hands-off!! ;)

I always talk about the talent at MRC, but my classes at UofC are STACKED. It's gonna be a good year. :D

Konj
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
i know he's sister too, she came over last night

al-ti2d
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
^ :drama:

Biga Ramrod
09-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Ken, First Year Engineering :eek:

toyboy88
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Where does everyone else park for free?

I was planning to park at Brentwood station, and take the train one stop...but I get there at 8am and it's already completly FULL =( LOL....

Where else do you guys know of where it's legal to park for free? Enough of paying $3.75/day.....:( :thumbsdow

Sapepr33
09-12-2007, 02:39 PM

It's 80% for haskayne and 78% for engineering. (http://www.ucalgary.ca/futurestudents/node/248) Considering the courses which engineering uses for it's admission requirements it makes a lot of sense. (MATH 30, 31, CHEM 30, PHYS 30, ENG 30)
One of my buddies actually just got rejected from UofC Engineering with an 86% (not sure on the specific breakdown).

As far as the whole "my classes are harder than yours"...it's crap.

This is my 2nd 3rd Year/1st 4th year in Engineering(engo) with a decent GPA. I've known enough non-engineer types, and had enough classes outside engineering that I can speak with some sort of experiance. The courses are too different to say "my courses are harder than yours". I couldn't write to save my life, so I didn't find comms courses overly fun, I also looked at some accounting junk(of group members) and it scared me. They weren't overly befuddled by it. Where as I had some Geodesy and calculus stuff that made them go white. It's just different, so quit the pissing match over it.

Lets face it, the reason people don't like the engineers is that we have a good time, and we don't pussy foot around about it. We drink, we yell, we party and we do it in everyones face. Does any other Faculty do anything close to Engg Week or even Frosh Week? I think not

msommers
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Nav13

I believe engg is around 78, and the reason why Haskayne is so much higher is because your allowed to use an option as one of the 5 courses used to calculate your average. Oh and just for the record I am not in engineering.

Those grades are the minimum you should have but in no way guarantee entrance. Once you have some university credit and want to switch majors or faculties, hearing "oh you need at least a 3.5 to get in" and you have a 3.5, I would very comfortable saying you would get in.

Originally posted by Sapepr33
Lets face it, the reason people don't like the engineers is that we have a good time, and we don't pussy foot around about it. We drink, we yell, we party and we do it in everyones face. Does any other Faculty do anything close to Engg Week or even Frosh Week? I think not

Congratulations super cool! Now go talk to a girl ;)

HyperZell
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM

You drink to escape from reality, you yell to ward of the crushing silence of your unpopularity, and you party in everyone's faces in a desperate attempt for acknowledgment. And that's not just the only reason we hate you. Your social skills are non-existent, you have no idea how to dress and you keep making insufferable math and physics jokes. IT'S NOT FUNNY, IT'S LAME.

And the overarching thing is that you're all proud of it. Unfathomable!

msommers
09-12-2007, 03:46 PM

You drink to escape from reality, you yell to ward of the crushing silence of your unpopularity, and you party in everyone's faces in a desperate attempt for acknowledgment. And that's not just the only reason we hate you. Your social skills are non-existent, you have no idea how to dress and you keep making insufferable math and physics jokes. IT'S NOT FUNNY, IT'S LAME.

Ouch! I'm not even an engineering student and I think that was pretty harsh. No ;) face or nothing! You must be in business :rofl:

boredengineer
09-12-2007, 05:50 PM

:drama:

Popularity? What did you just turn 18 and finish grade 12?

Acknowledgment? Again did you just turn 18? At the university last I check no one cares who you are what you do or how "cool" or "popular" you think you are...

No idea how to dress? What are you metrosexual? No one cares if you wear track pants to class dude. It's the university not fashion school.

As for my university experience I have to say all the classes I took that where not from the faculty of engineering tended to be cake walks. Usually because you have all the other students to pull down the bell curve :thumbsup: Just have a look at the course you take in first year business it's a joke :eek:

HyperZell
09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Ouch! I'm not even an engineering student and I think that was pretty harsh. No ;) face or nothing! You must be in business :rofl:

Good guess =)

HyperZell
09-12-2007, 07:16 PM

:drama:

Popularity? What did you just turn 18 and finish grade 12?

Acknowledgment? Again did you just turn 18? At the university last I check no one cares who you are what you do or how "cool" or "popular" you think you are...

No idea how to dress? What are you metrosexual? No one cares if you wear track pants to class dude. It's the university not fashion school.

As for my university experience I have to say all the classes I took that where not from the faculty of engineering tended to be cake walks. Usually because you have all the other students to pull down the bell curve :thumbsup: Just have a look at the course you take in first year business it's a joke :eek:

You have exactly the mentality that fits with what I originally posted. What's wrong with being popular? Or at the very least, not being unpopular? Let me put it another way - nobody likes you guys. And if you think "I'm not at school for people to like me" then you've got it bad. If, without really trying, people like you, then you're pretty normal. If not, then...well, you know.

And you're right, nobody really does care how cool you are or whatever, it's University, not high school. So then why the hell do you guys run around chanting and generally making nuisances of yourselves? Like I said before, it's because you want to be acknowledged. But you said that nobody cares about being acknowledged. Which is it?

And once again, you don't have to dress up to go to school but what's wrong with looking nice? I'm not going to wear a suit to class but I am going to make sure I shower, do my hair and put on something presentable - you guys seem to do the opposite. I'm not exactly making a big effort here. And New Balance shoes don't count as knowing how to dress.

For the record, this is all in good fun, but it doesn't mean it's not true...

Sapepr33
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok, that was a pretty good, kinda idiotic, but a good burn at the same time.

Who are you trying to be popular with? Yes, most of my friends are in Engg, I do have friends outside the engg building(I even have a non-engineer girlfriend). Do I feel that I need to have mgmt, art or bio types think that I'm cool, want to be my friend or want to be like me(as is the typical defonition of popularity)? Hell no, I am more than content to simply co-exist and if we're on good terms, great. So if you feel you need to be popular, you go right ahead, but if you think it counts for SFA, you've got another thing coming.

Dressing nicely in school? Again, I have to ask: metrosexual? I dress comfortably, appropriate to the situation, and yes on occasion I do "dress up". Does doing you're hair or wearing nice clothes help you finish an assignment, or do better on a test? Unless you're in beauty school...no it doesn't. If I'm going to be sitting in a lab for 6hrs, or going to have to wear a lab apron, I don't really want to worry about what I'm wearing getting wrecked. However if there is a career fair, job interview or special presentation, yes we still dress up just like anyone.

As for the running around chanting, sure some of it might be to get noticed, so. You wear nice clothes for the exact same reason. I do it because it's fun, it envibes a spirit of comrodery, and how many chance is you're life are you going to get to yell and jump around like an idiot with 200 other, WITHOUT having the cops called?

And if our events are in such bad taste, then why has Managment been trying to get "Managment Week" going for several years now?(trying and failing I might add)

You have exactly the mentality that fits with what I originally posted. What's wrong with being popular? Or at the very least, not being unpopular? Let me put it another way - nobody likes you guys. And if you think "I'm not at school for people to like me" then you've got it bad. If, without really trying, people like you, then you're pretty normal. If not, then...well, you know.

And you're right, nobody really does care how cool you are or whatever, it's University, not high school. So then why the hell do you guys run around chanting and generally making nuisances of yourselves? Like I said before, it's because you want to be acknowledged. But you said that nobody cares about being acknowledged. Which is it?

And once again, you don't have to dress up to go to school but what's wrong with looking nice? I'm not going to wear a suit to class but I am going to make sure I shower, do my hair and put on something presentable - you guys seem to do the opposite. I'm not exactly making a big effort here. And New Balance shoes don't count as knowing how to dress.

For the record, this is all in good fun, but it doesn't mean it's not true... :eek: :eek:

Team_Mclaren
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM

not true, im in ACSC, try taking some of my classes...
either way, this thread has turned :zzz: :zzz:

Super_Geo
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Really?

.... wait.. really?

I never knew the faculty people were in had such a big impact on who hangs out with who. Maybe it's a UofC thing, but at Queen's no one really gave a shit after frosh week was over... it was more the person, not what he was in.

I find your tirade against the engineering faculty interesting. Again, maybe it's different at the UofC and everyone here is like that, but at Queen's you could tell who were dorks after frosh week cause they were the ones still making fun of the other faculties with the same retarded chants that were used during frosh week.

I had a lot of friends in commerce AND engineering who were fuckin cool people, knew everyone, went to all the parties, etc. And let me tell you something: we never once said "oh look at those loser kids." It was more the loners who, having few friends, had to resort to the "oh but look at [i]those losers, in that other faculty" insults. My take on it? Saying that makes them feel like they're in with the rest of their own faculty, the majority of which are cooler people than they are... but most likely aren't friends with them to begin with.

Cause you know, all the cool people in commerce make elaborate anime signitures for their online forums. (https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~jkwcheng/public_html/solsig29sf.jpg) :rofl:

Just my $0.02.

fluid
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
hahaha^^^^

HyperZell
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok, that was a pretty good, kinda idiotic, but a good burn at the same time.

Who are you trying to be popular with? Yes, most of my friends are in Engg, I do have friends outside the engg building(I even have a non-engineer girlfriend). Do I feel that I need to have mgmt, art or bio types think that I'm cool, want to be my friend or want to be like me(as is the typical defonition of popularity)? Hell no, I am more than content to simply co-exist and if we're on good terms, great. So if you feel you need to be popular, you go right ahead, but if you think it counts for SFA, you've got another thing coming.

Dressing nicely in school? Again, I have to ask: metrosexual? I dress comfortably, appropriate to the situation, and yes on occasion I do "dress up". Does doing you're hair or wearing nice clothes help you finish an assignment, or do better on a test? Unless you're in beauty school...no it doesn't. If I'm going to be sitting in a lab for 6hrs, or going to have to wear a lab apron, I don't really want to worry about what I'm wearing getting wrecked. However if there is a career fair, job interview or special presentation, yes we still dress up just like anyone.

As for the running around chanting, sure some of it might be to get noticed, so. You wear nice clothes for the exact same reason. I do it because it's fun, it envibes a spirit of comrodery, and how many chance is you're life are you going to get to yell and jump around like an idiot with 200 other, WITHOUT having the cops called?

And if our events are in such bad taste, then why has Managment been trying to get "Managment Week" going for several years now?(trying and failing I might add)

:eek: :eek:

Fantastic, we're getting some action around here...this is truly keeping me entertained.

My dear sir, I'm not sure you remember your own original statement, but let me refresh your memory: you said the reason why people don't like engineers is etc. etc. I don't know who you want to be popular with, but I'm guessing it's the same people who you were talking about not liking you. And let's, for arguments sake, forget about being popular. Let's focus on what I said before - at the very least, you shouldn't be unpopular. If other faculties aren't in love with you, that's fine. Doesn't mean a thing. But if they don't like you, then that's something else altogether. See what I mean?

About dressing - reread my original post again. It's fine not to dress up - like I said, I don't dress in a suit to go to class. But let's, once again, look at the opposite: why dress poorly? Like it or not, image matters, and at the very least you should be presentable. I will give you the lab thing, however - I don't have 6 hour labs so I'm not sure what that's like. But once again, shoot for the middle here - don't dress up, but don't dress like crap either.

Lastly, about running around shouting: there's a reason why you can't do it without someone calling the cops outside of school - because it's ridiculous. Sure, it's not really harmful, but you guys make yourselves look like goons doing it. If you're having fun, then great, but it's kind of sad that that's the sort of thing that gets you off.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Really?

.... wait.. really?

I never knew the faculty people were in had such a big impact on who hangs out with who. Maybe it's a UofC thing, but at Queen's no one really gave a shit after frosh week was over... it was more the person, not what he was in.

I find your tirade against the engineering faculty interesting. Again, maybe it's different at the UofC and everyone here is like that, but at Queen's you could tell who were dorks after frosh week cause they were the ones still making fun of the other faculties with the same retarded chants that were used during frosh week.

I had a lot of friends in commerce AND engineering who were fuckin cool people, knew everyone, went to all the parties, etc. And let me tell you something: we never once said "oh look at those loser kids." It was more the loners who, having few friends, had to resort to the "oh but look at [i]those losers, in that other faculty" insults. My take on it? Saying that makes them feel like they're in with the rest of their own faculty, the majority of which are cooler people than they are... but most likely aren't friends with them to begin with.

Cause you know, all the cool people in commerce make elaborate anime signitures for their online forums. (https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~jkwcheng/public_html/solsig29sf.jpg) :rofl:

Just my $0.02.

? I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I never said a thing about the faculty you're in determining who you hang out with. I know tons of people that break the mold - a couple of the cool engineers I know even frequent Beyond, and even they admit that the stereotypes ring true for the most part. I don't actively point out engineers and laugh at them - that's infantile. But that doesn't mean we can't make fun of each other - it's the same thing with sports teams. We trash Oiler fans for being Oiler fans, with no real base. They do the same thing to us. At the end of the day, am I really going to hate someone because they love the Oil? No. But I (and usually they) are going to enjoy the trash talk because no one is really taking it seriously. Except for you, I guess?

And the cool people in commerce get other people to make elaborate online signatures for their online forums for them. I didn't spend a minute on it, I just asked for one, and it wasn't originally for this forum. And I'm going to assume you're not making fun of anime, because then the respect goes out the window. It's a medium, that's it. =)

stefan.bounket
09-15-2007, 03:03 PM
you guys type too much.. im lazy to read that.. it was interesting at first lol...

anyways.. welcome all your freshman ^_^ have fun going through what i went through last year...

oh a note to you science students... you're all damned lucky.. the old head of chem was CRAZY... you probably got it alot easier now... <_<
class average for the chem 201 final... 42%.. LOL

Eleanor
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by stefan.bounket
oh a note to you science students... you're all damned lucky.. the old head of chem was CRAZY... you probably got it alot easier now... &lt;_&lt;
class average for the chem 201 final... 42%.. LOL

god damn that high? come talk to the engineers about ENGG 205 & PHYS 369 & ENGG 349 & ENGG 311 etc.

stefan.bounket
09-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

god damn that high? come talk to the engineers about ENGG 205 &amp; PHYS 369 &amp; ENGG 349 &amp; ENGG 311 etc.

lol really... wow... i guess i just havnt heard anything about engg... :dunno: not many friends in engg.. just 1 but he's pretty smart haha. i just hear the stuff about sci.. meh i guess we dont got it all that bad afterall. :clap: