PDA

View Full Version : buying phone on ebay for telus

wardpr68
09-07-2007, 11:23 AM
hey all. So i am a noob with cell phones really. BUT!

My friend got a nice blackberry on ebay for a good price and i was thinking... i need a better phone, not really a blackberry, but something.

His was easy since they have sim cards on rogers... but since i am on telus am i able to buy a phone on ebay? Or am i screwed since we dont use sim cards?

Fill in a noob :D

thanks!

94CoRd
09-07-2007, 12:04 PM
on ebay with phones, the left hand menu will let you select what kind of technology the phone uses to narrow down the items for sale.

Telus uses CDMA I believe.. so search for phones with that technology.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

zoik
09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
yeah telus as well as bell uses CDMA technology. it makes it brutal to change phones. even harder to find an unlocked CDMA phone. once you get this phone you'll have to take it to telus or call them, and they have to do the conection bit, and i think they charge for it too. it's a pain in the ass, and that's why places like omegacell don't carry CDMA phones.

on a side note, if you want to change cell phone providers you can keep your number now!

jdmXSI
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
You have to be carefull with the CDMA phones. A friend of mine bought one for "Bell provider" and the phone was reported stolen and his phone was then cut off. But he still had to give the phone in and contiue paying for his contract. Just be cautious.

zoik
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
You have to be carefull with the CDMA phones. A friend of mine bought one for "Bell provider" and the phone was reported stolen and his phone was then cut off. But he still had to give the phone in and contiue paying for his contract. Just be cautious.

oh yeah i forgot about that too. if the phone is reported stolen, they will know know that it is. my friend tried activating an older phone, and bell reported it as having a lot of money owing, and they refused to reactivate the phone until it was paid.

benyl
09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Telus will not activate a phone on their network that wasn't sold by them.

i.e. You can't get a CDMA phone off ebay from Korea that wasn't originally sold by TELUS.

toyboy88
09-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah like someone said above, you have to be really careful with buying CDMA phones from ebay compared to GSM phones...

1) Telus will ONLY activate phones originally purchased from Telus.

2) If the phone is reported stolen, or lost, it shows up on the computer when Telus activates it and they will not do it for you.