PDA

View Full Version : Rough Starting...

Zephyr
07-01-2003, 11:59 PM
errr the 5 series is having a hard time starting up in the morning these days.. it has 80k miles on it now. when i turn the key it starts responding then pauses for like .5 seconds and then starts again and then it sounds like the belt is loose and the car begans to shake, then after a while it stops and seems ok.. i added some fuel system cleaner to maybe help a lil bit, i doubt it will. anyone know wut might cause this? and when the engine is idle after the start, there sounds like a squeeky noise maybe the belt is loose... one time i started it t he car responded then shut off and started again like 2 seconds later.. im getting kinda scared its gonna be soemting bad and its gona cost a lot.

Abom
07-02-2003, 12:13 AM
If you think it sounds like a belt, yeah, have it checked out.

Hesitation (which you described from the momentary shaking after you start it) could be a build up of carbon in your fuel system. Dump a fuel system cleaner into the gas tank, and go have your injectors cleaned (some quick-oil change places do this). Check your plugs, wires and spray your TB with some TB cleaner. If that's causing the hesitation, that should get rid of it.

rice_eater
07-02-2003, 01:00 AM
not dissaproving with you here man but if the injectors were dirty the car would run somewhat bad the whole time...and tb cleaner wont do much...if you really want to do the job right you will need some combustion chamber cleaner...what i'd do is take the car to the dealership and get an inspection done...after they give you a printout of everything that is wrong with the car decide if you can do the work yourself or if you know someone who can do the work and either leave or leave the car there for them to do the work. I can't see how it could be a belt either but you can check those yourself. If it is a belt it'll most likely be the timing belt. What i think is that your starter may be dying

Abom
07-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
not dissaproving with you here man but if the injectors were dirty the car would run somewhat bad the whole time...and tb cleaner wont do much...

But when carbon deposites are just starting to accumulate, don't the symptons usually occur more noticeably when the engine is cold? :dunno: But yeah, I agree, take the car to the dealership and have it all checked out.

Scat
07-03-2003, 07:03 PM
check the entire ignition system. That could be the source of the problem. You may have to try replacing the ignition wires and ignition coil. Without actually seeing and hearing the car it is hard to say whats wrong. My car runs extremely rough when its cold. The ignition system doesn't exactly perform as well as it should and I have heard that replacing the entire ignition system will do wonders for the car. Just a suggestion.:burnout:

Zephyr
07-03-2003, 09:00 PM
hrm. thx guys i will take it to get a check up... probably gonnna cost me a lot..

rice_eater
07-03-2003, 10:06 PM
it won't man...under $100...i completely over looked that however...checking plugs and replacing worn out wires would be a very good first step