PDA

View Full Version : searching for insurance

EVOI
07-02-2003, 02:53 AM
i know this might sounds dumb but i really don't have any experience for this so i really need some help.

since my policy is going to expire soon, i need to find a new one.
I can still stay with my old one(co-operators) but they are going to charge me for $5100 per year. That's why i decide to shop for insurance. My dad always takes care this kind of thing but he left the country so i have to do this one by myself. However, i don't know where to start and i have no idea how to do this too.
I mean there is a lot insurance companies in yellow page so should i just call every single one of them and get a quote from them?But there is also alot of agency too so i really not sure what to do.

I really need some help, tip, advice, suggestion or anything from you guys!!

Thanks!

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 09:34 AM
daimond Insurance
talk with frances she hooked me up with some crazy cheep ins as well as alot of people I know.
Give her a call she is a broker and will do what ever it takes to get you insured. for a good rate.
403-278-3653
tell her you know luke.

Stratus_Power
07-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
daimond Insurance
talk with frances she hooked me up with some crazy cheep ins as well as alot of people I know.
Give her a call she is a broker and will do what ever it takes to get you insured. for a good rate.
403-278-3653
tell her you know luke.

Thanks mate I'll give her a call too, im in need of an insurance broker

curious how much do they usually charge? like under 500?

Abom
07-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Co-operators is bullshit. My dad was with them for some 15+ years, no claims at all, and then they jacked ALL the rates up for everyone in the country cause they "were in financial" trouble. Fucking losers.

Go to AMA, they are good at insuring younger drivers. Brokers are bullshit, all of them gave me quotes above $4000 a year :dunno: Plus you can't get company discounts like you would if you stayed with the same company for several years.

RC-Cola
07-02-2003, 10:20 AM
If your a University or Tech School grad you can get cheap insurance through TD Canada Trust and Meloche Monnex.

EVOI
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
If your a University or Tech School grad you can get cheap insurance through TD Canada Trust and Meloche Monnex.
well, i am only 21 so they won't insure me:banghead:
but thanks for the info!

/////AMG
07-02-2003, 11:24 AM
I'm with state Farm insurance part time with my dad old 97 cavalier. It's only $150 a year, its with Drving School, and if you're a full time student with an average over 70% you get another discount. :thumbsup: Try them, I dunno if they will accept, because they only accept a certain amount of people a year which is stupid. Try them, good luck with it.

Abom
07-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
I'm with state Farm insurance part time with my dad old 97 cavalier. It's only $150 a year, its with Drving School, and if you're a full time student with an average over 70% you get another discount. :thumbsup: Try them, I dunno if they will accept, because they only accept a certain amount of people a year which is stupid. Try them, good luck with it.

State Farm also will not insure any driver under 21 years old, who hasn't been driving a full 3 years, and has ZERO tickets since they've been driving. I hate that company.

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 01:08 PM
THe broker doesent cost anything.
Frances will do it for free she is a commishioned broker so its in her best interest to help you out cause if you get ins thru her she gets a commish from the ins company.

nickyh
07-02-2003, 01:09 PM
I agree with going to AMA.

They were on average $2000 a year cheaper than other places for my insurance, and since I am under 25 they offer age discounts every birthday - big ol' 25 coming up KaChing!
Seriously - they were awesome (DT Branch).

Abom
07-02-2003, 01:35 PM
THe broker doesent cost anything.
Frances will do it for free she is a commishioned broker so its in her best interest to help you out cause if you get ins thru her she gets a commish from the ins company.

Yeah, so? She gets a commision, woohoo!! The point is, when you are insured with a REAL insurance company, we'll take Co-operators for example, once you hit set intervals (3 years, 5 years, 7 years, 10 years, etc) you get additional discounts because you've stayed with the company non-stop. Also, they treat you better in case you ever have a claim, and after a few years of being claim-free, they even give you one free accident where your rates don't go up one penny.

So what are the benefits of a broker again? Every month you're insured by another company, and since accidents can take up to 3 months to get fully resolved, by the time you've had your car repaired and the claims are going through the body shops, you've already been insured by 2 OTHER companies in the meantime.

Brokers are bullshit, and are only useful if you're too lazy to get your own quotes.

Originally posted by nickyh

They were on average $2000 a year cheaper than other places for my insurance, and since I am under 25 they offer age discounts every birthday - big ol' 25 coming up KaChing!

:werd:

Weapon_R
07-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Abom

So what are the benefits of a broker again?

Brokers are bullshit, and are only useful if you're too lazy to get your own quotes.

Actually, a broker got me the best rate I could find. And I shopped everywhere. Brokers know where to look, and they will shop around to find the best insurance. Thats the usefulness of a broker. And if they weren't useful, no one would use them.

max_boost
07-02-2003, 01:41 PM

State Farm also will not insure any driver under 21 years old, who hasn't been driving a full 3 years, and has ZERO tickets since they've been driving. I hate that company.

Statefarm rocks
And for those who are 21 and have been driving for three full years and have ZERO tickets in that time, life is good:rofl: :thumbsup:

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Not to be a dink but have you ever got your own insurance before?
A broker shops around for you and puts you with the best comapany with the best rates. you dont move from company to company!! AND AS FAR AS CO_OPERATORS GOES I was with them for 6 years from 15 to 21 years of age so I paid the highes price with them. i MOVE FROM TORONTO BACK TO CALGARY AND CAUSE i MOVE BACK TO CALGARY i HAD TO MOVE FROM A TORONTO CO-OPERATORS TO A CALGARY BRANCH and after I did that they sent me a CANCELATION Notice in the mail stating that I was to high risk because I move to many times?? WTF with that?
Co-Op sucks stay away. Also My mother was with them for 25 years and had the last poloicy with glass coverage and collision her duductable was 25 bucks and they canceled her cause the deductable was to low and said she was to high risk.
So before you open your trap again try to know a little about the thisgs your talking about.. THx
P.S EVO please call frances she will hook you up mad cheep for ins saved me 1200 bucks a year FROM CO_OPERATORS rates.

Yeah, so? She gets a commision, woohoo!! The point is, when you are insured with a REAL insurance company, we'll take Co-operators for example, once you hit set intervals (3 years, 5 years, 7 years, 10 years, etc) you get additional discounts because you've stayed with the company non-stop. Also, they treat you better in case you ever have a claim, and after a few years of being claim-free, they even give you one free accident where your rates don't go up one penny.

So what are the benefits of a broker again? Every month you're insured by another company, and since accidents can take up to 3 months to get fully resolved, by the time you've had your car repaired and the claims are going through the body shops, you've already been insured by 2 OTHER companies in the meantime.

:werd:

/////AMG
07-02-2003, 01:45 PM

Thats probably for full tiem driver right?

Abom
07-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_944
Thats probably for full tiem driver right?

Yes, with your own car.

Abom
07-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Not to be a dink but have you ever got your own insurance before?
A broker shops around for you and puts you with the best comapany with the best rates. you dont move from company to company!! AND AS FAR AS CO_OPERATORS GOES I was with them for 6 years from 15 to 21 years of age so I paid the highes price with them. i MOVE FROM TORONTO BACK TO CALGARY AND CAUSE i MOVE BACK TO CALGARY i HAD TO MOVE FROM A TORONTO CO-OPERATORS TO A CALGARY BRANCH and after I did that they sent me a CANCELATION Notice in the mail stating that I was to high risk because I move to many times?? WTF with that?
Co-Op sucks stay away. Also My mother was with them for 25 years and had the last poloicy with glass coverage and collision her duductable was 25 bucks and they canceled her cause the deductable was to low and said she was to high risk.
So before you open your trap again try to know a little about the thisgs your talking about.. THx
P.S EVO please call frances she will hook you up mad cheep for ins saved me 1200 bucks a year FROM CO_OPERATORS rates.

Co-operators sucks now, they say they're nearly bankrupt, so they jacked EVERYONE'S premiums up. I know this. I used them as an example, I didn't say this was the case with them. As for a broker "looking in the right places", that is non-sense. If you can't look for yourself, then yes, a broker is for you.

And yes, you DO change insurance companies to whatever is cheapest for you. If you aren't, then your broker isn't doing their job. A brokers job is to look every month, or half year, or year, whichever length of coverage you choose, for the cheapest insurance rate for you. Doesn't matter if it's Co-operators, AMA, State Farm, All State, ING Direct, whoever. If there's a cheaper rate, your broker is supposed to get it for you. That's the whole point of one, they find you the cheapest rate while you sit back and do nothing.

You have to be careful with brokers too, I've been to several ones, and ALWAYS gotten a more expensive quote than direct insurance companies. When I went to AMA, I spoke with one of their insurance agents, they took all my info, driving history, previous insurance, and gave me a very fair quote, and explained to me how their premiums decrease over time if I stay with them non-stop. Their service is excellent, and I get to deal with the same person everytime, whereas if you have an issue with your insurance (such as you need a claim or so), and you use a broker, YOU have to call the insurance company yourself and sort it out (even if the company is in the USA). Your broker cannot make claims for you. So one month you might be calling ING Direct, another month you're calling AMA. Personally, I like to deal with ONE company, who has all my insurance history and info, and will take care of any arising issues quicker and with less problems.

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 03:25 PM
WEll My broker has had me with wawanessa for a year now and we looked again and kingsway is the cheepest for me now. as per the insurance compaines chnaging your rate the longer you are with one company. Thats kinda correct but also your insurance company files a report each year with the insurance board of canada they keep a recoed on file for you so it doesent matter if your with the same company or change 5 times a year as long as you have had continuies insurance over a peroird of time they keep a record for you so ever insurance company will give you discounted rates based on that fact and how long you have had insurance.

Co-operators sucks now, they say they're nearly bankrupt, so they jacked EVERYONE'S premiums up. I know this. I used them as an example, I didn't say this was the case with them. As for a broker "looking in the right places", that is non-sense. If you can't look for yourself, then yes, a broker is for you.

And yes, you DO change insurance companies to whatever is cheapest for you. If you aren't, then your broker isn't doing their job. A brokers job is to look every month, or half year, or year, whichever length of coverage you choose, for the cheapest insurance rate for you. Doesn't matter if it's Co-operators, AMA, State Farm, All State, ING Direct, whoever. If there's a cheaper rate, your broker is supposed to get it for you. That's the whole point of one, they find you the cheapest rate while you sit back and do nothing.

You have to be careful with brokers too, I've been to several ones, and ALWAYS gotten a more expensive quote than direct insurance companies. When I went to AMA, I spoke with one of their insurance agents, they took all my info, driving history, previous insurance, and gave me a very fair quote, and explained to me how their premiums decrease over time if I stay with them non-stop. Their service is excellent, and I get to deal with the same person everytime, whereas if you have an issue with your insurance (such as you need a claim or so), and you use a broker, YOU have to call the insurance company yourself and sort it out (even if the company is in the USA). Your broker cannot make claims for you. So one month you might be calling ING Direct, another month you're calling AMA. Personally, I like to deal with ONE company, who has all my insurance history and info, and will take care of any arising issues quicker and with less problems.

EVOI
07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Statefarm rocks
And for those who are 21 and have been driving for three full years and have ZERO tickets in that time, life is good:rofl: :thumbsup:
ha ha, so i guess i fit all this but one thing though i have one accident:banghead:

Abom
07-02-2003, 03:30 PM
WEll My broker has had me with wawanessa for a year now and we looked again and kingsway is the cheepest for me now. as per the insurance compaines chnaging your rate the longer you are with one company. Thats kinda correct but also your insurance company files a report each year with the insurance board of canada they keep a recoed on file for you so it doesent matter if your with the same company or change 5 times a year as long as you have had continuies insurance over a peroird of time they keep a record for you so ever insurance company will give you discounted rates based on that fact and how long you have had insurance.

No no, I don't mean the rate discounts based on years licensed. There are some companies, that will give a discount on top of that one if you stay with their company non-stop. Kinda like an added bonus :thumbsup: As for you being with Wawanessa for a whole year, well, that's just luck of the draw, sometimes a cheaper rate comes along every month. There's ups and downs to brokers, I prefer just dealing with a company face to face :)

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm sure we both have valid points to our aruguments
so before this turns into a shit flinging monkey fight lets just say I like brokers you like dealing direct they both do the same thing which is getting you insured so you can drive to the track on fridays so TRUCE.:D

No no, I don't mean the rate discounts based on years licensed. There are some companies, that will give a discount on top of that one if you stay with their company non-stop. Kinda like an added bonus :thumbsup: As for you being with Wawanessa for a whole year, well, that's just luck of the draw, sometimes a cheaper rate comes along every month. There's ups and downs to brokers, I prefer just dealing with a company face to face :)

Abom
07-02-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm sure we both have valid points to our aruguments
so before this turns into a shit flinging monkey fight lets just say I like brokers you like dealing direct they both do the same thing which is getting you insured so you can drive to the track on fridays so TRUCE.:D

lol, never was going to turn into a "shit flinging monkey fight" :D Just giving our own experiences so he can make the best decision possible :thumbsup:

EVOI
07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
ha ha, glad you guys can work thing out!:rofl:
anyways, thank you for both of you for all the HELPFUL info!!:)

Abom
07-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by EVOI
anyways, thank you for both of you for all the HELPFUL info!!:)

You're welcome, good luck in finding cheaper insurance!! :thumbsup:

EVOI
07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
yeah, thanks.
but just one question does insurance company matter??
I mean is there such thing as bad insurance or good insurance??
or the price is most important??

B17a
07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by EVOI
yeah, thanks.
but just one question does insurance company matter??
I mean is there such thing as bad insurance or good insurance??
or the price is most important??

You'd think insurance was just a commodity, but what it really boils down to is the service. If the company is jerkin' you around just trying to get a quote from them, imagine what it'll be like when you actually need them to do something for you. I've been with Meloche for a while on both my house and car, they're super friendly everytime I phone in. Luckily I haven't had to experience how things work out on the other end (ie. filing a claim) but I have no reason to believe they'd treat me that much worse.

googe
07-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by nickyh

Did you shop around much? I would highly recommend everyone AVOID AMA like the plague. I am under 21, and have a clean record, and AMA wanted 12,000 a year to insure me. Yes, there are 3 zeros after that 12. I'm currently with Wawanesa and paying $8600 a year, which is still absolutely disgusting, but its the cheapest I have found so far. I am still looking.

AMA isnt just bad for young people, my parents got a quote with them and they wanted to charge them nearly double what they are currently paying.

I think these brokers being recommended here are going to be getting a call from me in the very near future :)

FiveFreshFish
07-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I've been with Meloche for a while on both my house and car, they're super friendly everytime I phone in. Luckily I haven't had to experience how things work out on the other end (ie. filing a claim) but I have no reason to believe they'd treat me that much worse.

They are pretty good about dealing with a claim in terms of fairness and speed of handling the paperwork.

nickyh
07-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by googe

Did you shop around much? I would highly recommend everyone AVOID AMA like the plague. I am under 21, and have a clean record, and AMA wanted 12,000 a year to insure me. Yes, there are 3 zeros after that 12. I'm currently with Wawanesa and paying $8600 a year, which is still absolutely disgusting, but its the cheapest I have found so far. I am still looking.

AMA isnt just bad for young people, my parents got a quote with them and they wanted to charge them nearly double what they are currently paying.

You bet i shopped around - who wouldn't. I must have called about 8 or 9 places even brokers. The highest quote i got was $8000 - as if! But at that time I was 20 looking to buy a 200 hp coupe. All State (sorry about spelling) came in lowest and AMA second lowest - All State did a f&ck up on me and two days before I picked up my car and went in to arrange the insurance they told me they would not honor the quote and could not insure me. I did not meet their "points" as a new driver. So leaving me screwed I went to AMA.
Even now i still shop around to check things out and they still come out tops, with a second driver on my car.
I filed a property damage claim on my car when some punks tried to steal it and they did not increase my rates.
Maybe because i am an AMA Member they offer me a lower rate - possibly - but then being a member is worth it, especially when you need a tow - or do dumb sh*t like locking keys in the car. But who can argue with saving $5000 over some other companies?

Stratus_Power
07-03-2003, 01:09 PM
thanks for letting me know about Frances at Diamond insurance.. just had a talk w/ her.. she gave me a quote $1700 less than any other company quoted me.. and that is with facility..

Wakalimasu
07-03-2003, 01:29 PM
heh I missed out.

Anyways I'm an insurance Broker. Anyways I can explain some of the confusion. There are 3 type of Insurance companies in Alberta. First off the regular market. These are the cheap rates. Well they were pretty cheap :p. Anyways these are for people that are low risk. These companies will not even at you, if you are not age 25+ and have a clean record with at least 3 years of prior insurance. Then we come to the high risk market, like Echelon and Kingsway. They will insure you if you meet a certain criteria. Kingsway will insure you if you have at least 6 years licence, while Echelon will do it if you have 2 years, 3 years if you are under 25. Then you have Facility. By law you must have insurance in Alberta, but the only thing is you will have to pay a higher premium :(. The weird thing is, Facility sometimes beats out the high risk market. If you can't find a market, facility will take you.

The low risk companies also offer discounts for claims free, experience driver (12 yrs+ license), multivehicle, etc.

Anyways if you have any more questions or confusion or need a quote, please pm me, reply, or email me.

[email protected]

Later