PDA

View Full Version : What jobs are available for my wife?

SilverRex
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I would appreciate if anyone can answer this,

I have sponsored my wife who came from hong kong last summer. After 14 months she is now a permanent resident. However we also have a 6 month old child. By the time our little one starts to walk, my wife will be entertaining ideas of what type of job is suitable for her background.

She graduated from hong kong chinese university and has stayed in japan for a year and majors in japanese language. She can read write speak cantonese, mandarin, japanese and english fluently. She also has 2 years of OL (office job) experience underher belt when she was in hong kong at the time. She was dealing with importing/exporting companies and have interacted with various mainland china and japanese clients. She has all the basic office admin skills set.

Given her background and experience, what types of job can or will she be looking for?

Would companies recognize her office experience? I know alot of people say the current job market is only hot with the low paying job but some say differently.

Maybe she can take advantage of this hot market and find something decent even though she may not have graduated from a local institute.

Can someone who works in the office setting tell me if she can find something similar here in calgary? or does she have to go back for a quick diploma?

thanks

:thumbsup:

Konj
09-09-2007, 12:16 PM
videography staring big black snake

The Cosworth
09-09-2007, 12:22 PM
It depends on WHAT her schooling is for, does she have a degree in languages?

I would think she should work for places that require a person with her language skills.

I know with engineers/accountants/geologists etc. they need to have their schooling transfered into a canadian equivalent so that they can find a decent job. Most places require certification by APEGGA, ASET, CGA body, (not sure I am not in accounting) etc. and this sometimes requires classes/more school

adamc
09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I would get her to maybe look at working for the Canadian offices of Chinese O&G outfits (equipment manufacturers, producers).

There is a big push by China to invest in Canadian oil projects, specifically oil sands, so that's where I would concentrate my search first.

l/l/rX
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
how about a gov't type job? like...public relations???

edit: im not to sure if PR is the right title im trying to get at...but it'll put her language skills to good use.

ZorroAMG
09-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Re: thread title

Too easy.