PDA

View Full Version : Help me populate a 10g tank

94CoRd
09-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I just got my first fish tank and am pretty excited to get some sweet fish swimming in it.

I don't really know the different kinds of fish or what fish can get along in the same tank, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Talies R
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
You should checkout Riverfront Aquariums to see the largest assortment of diff. fish to get!!

Not to sure what to recommend for such a small tank though, probably a Pleco to eat the algae.

Street_Soldier
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM
do you have a heater?

94CoRd
09-09-2007, 05:19 PM
no heater...

and where is Riverfront?? ahah Petland is so close.

Street_Soldier
09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Pleco and goldfish.

DarkDream
09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
lol its not a fish but pick up one of those blue lobsters they look cool!:thumbsup:

Xamim
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
With out a heater you are some what limited to goldfish. Even the typical bettas need warm water.

I would suggest getting a small heater. That way you can keep some colourful tropical fish. A planted tank with a small piece of drift wood and some guppies will look really cool.

TomcoPDR
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Riverfront = Chinatown

Check out one store on 17th in Forest Lawn (can't remember name or exact location)... but decent specials sometimes.

Xamim
09-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Riverfront = Chinatown

Check out one store on 17th in Forest Lawn (can't remember name or exact location)... but decent specials sometimes.

Golds Aquariums. Right where the Pizza Hut is located. Next to that Tiger grocery store. Best prices in town I think.

jmeriel
09-09-2007, 09:12 PM
:thumbsup: for golds aquarium...look for dennis or albert

Euro838
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm in the process of doing the same thing but I'm more concerned about the nitrate cycle or whatever you need to do to condition the water for bacteria so my fish won't die. So just wondering if someone can give a quick guide or instructions on some things that I should do. Thanks.

AllGoNoShow
09-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Buy test strips/test kits to check your water conditions.

Once the tank has cycled your ammonia should be 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20-40 *water changes is what brings your nitrate down, bacteria do the ammonia and nitrite*

Don't use goldfish for cycling unless your keeping goldfish, it's 2 different conditions for them and other tropical fish.

You could just get some cheap danio's (zebra's is what I used) to help cycle the tank, plus they aren't too bad to keep after for a small tank.

For 10gal you don't have a ton of options for a bunch of fish, they need space for how little they are, my 44gal is only in habitted by 2 snakeheads and 2 pleco's, I could pack more in but these guys are unique in a way. My next one, 46gal bowfront I think, I'm going to do a cichlid tank. I do have a 10 gal right now that I am cycling as well, I plan on maybe putting 2-3 smaller cichlid's in, or getting a few more 10 gal's and try to start reproducing guppies or something for my snakeheads to eat.

Street_Soldier
09-10-2007, 02:43 AM
1) Fill your tank with normal water. Turn on filter.
2) Add a cap full of aqua plus (water conditioner).
3) Add a cap full of "Cycle"(bacteria that helps your fish. Remember to keep it refrigerated after opening).
4) Wait about 24 hours.
5) Gradually add fish into tank. 1 fish every day.

AllGoNoShow
09-10-2007, 03:19 AM
You do have to check parameters, don't just wait 24 hours and assume, could become costly on your wallet replacing fish.

TRIX808
09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Go salt water. LOL

Euro838
09-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
You do have to check parameters, don't just wait 24 hours and assume, could become costly on your wallet replacing fish.

Well, as long as if the fish are going to die, they do it within the 14 day warranty period! :)

ekguy
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
yeah definintly need a heater in there if you want anything slightly interesting. I'm slowly setting up a 33 gal tank can't wait.

FreakinPrince
09-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

Well, as long as if the fish are going to die, they do it within the 14 day warranty period! :)

don't rely on that cause they will ask you to bring a sample of your own water...to be sure its the fish and not your water

if its your water then they won't replace it

before i went to petland and man they were asses..i bring my sample water and then they realized water wasn't the problem...i took that small sample and threw it at their face for giving me shitty fish...they dno't even take care of it at all

i got banned from that store few years ago...never will go back to any petland store

AllGoNoShow
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't buy much from petland anyways.

Riverfornt Aqauriums is my favorite fish store, best selection, good prices, knowledgable staff, I'll admit I've spent a few hours one day just walking up and down and up down isle's without buying anything. Both my dwarf snakeheads came from them.

Euro838
09-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

don't rely on that cause they will ask you to bring a sample of your own water...to be sure its the fish and not your water

if its your water then they won't replace it

before i went to petland and man they were asses..i bring my sample water and then they realized water wasn't the problem...i took that small sample and threw it at their face for giving me shitty fish...they dno't even take care of it at all

i got banned from that store few years ago...never will go back to any petland store

So what will they do if you bring your water? What will they test for? For example, if I have a glass of water that I have left out for a few days, what will they find with this water that "good" aquarium water won't have? Just curious as to what their policy is. I went on their website and couldn't find anything regarding this.

FreakinPrince
09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

So what will they do if you bring your water? What will they test for? For example, if I have a glass of water that I have left out for a few days, what will they find with this water that "good" aquarium water won't have? Just curious as to what their policy is. I went on their website and couldn't find anything regarding this.

they check the level of nitrite, nitrate, ph level, ammonia, moslty...sometime even when people fill up their tank with tap water (i do and i am sure most peple do) ..it could contain alot of the above things....you just never know.... it also depends on which stick of paper they used as each are speific for each catergories....most fishes are fresh water so you can use tap water or even bottle water from local store..

i know for sure like pet smart (don't know about petland) you can even just bring a tap water and get them to check it out for you for free....highly recommend you to do this as for future reference you will know in the future when you setup a new tank or replacing water you know how much of whatever needed to be added to neaturlize it or nothing at all since its all safe and clean.

even when you are doing a whole cycle thing you can also bring that sample and get them to check it out....they are usually friendly and will do it with no charges

if they do find something that is highly deadly to fish or can be the cause of death of fish they will suggust you to continue the cycle until the level is low or add something that will neutrualize it

these days i don't know if their policy changes or not so you can just approach them and ask them and i am sure they can fill you in.

pisces emporium off of mcknight in NE is an awesome place...great people and lots of varies of fishes....they also ask for water sample when you come back with a dead fish

I went to RiverFront Aqua today and man they are pretty good but prices are pretty steep...but i guess their quality is pretty good as most of them are good looking fishes

94CoRd
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
everything is all set up.
Water has been filtered and heated to 70 F for about a week now.
Started off with 6 neon Tetras. They seemed a little
sketched out at first but after about a day they are now boogying around the tank chasing each other having quite the time it looks like.
Going to wait about another week to maybe add some more. The one lady at petland was very helpful. She knew her stuff :thumbsup: