PDA

View Full Version : Place to learn how to be a Perfumer?

Graham_A_M
09-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Just out of sheer curiousity, does anybody know of any school/academy/college for teaching the fundamentals of creating perfume?
Its funny, I first read the book (Parfume, the story of a murderer) when I was kid, and it was always something I thought about, now with the movie out, I thought it would be a cool thing to have on the side.
-Thanks. :thumbsup:

(I'm not considering this as a life profession, but I would be happy to have a degree in this over and above, just for the heck of it)

old&slow
09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
What movie is that? A recent release?

Graham_A_M
09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
2007, It should still be on the new release section, its called
" Parfume (/Perfume) : the story of a murderer "

I always had quite an affinity for smell and scents, reading this book felt like reading a biography of me. Its nuts really. I'd just like to learn the trade and see what I can come up with. :)It was kind of a shot in the dark posting this in the careers section, of beyond.ca, but I thought SOMEBODY would know at all, but no so, even with 225 views at the time of posting this.

CivicTunr
09-10-2007, 11:05 PM
the movie is a guy, who likes the smell of girls, and than kills them, and takes their scent and sells it? im pretty sure.
looked good, is it out yet?

gpomp
09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
it's on dvd

Ben
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Generally you'd need a Science degree, based on Chemestry.

a BSc in Aroma and Formulation Science would be ideal, however from what I hear in the industry, most companies hire and train their own if they have the right sensory acuteness in smell. That's ultimately the most important part, being able to decipher and correctly proportion ingredients to produce a pleasant odor.

Lots of schools over seas that dabble in this, but like I said, a lot come from laboratory backgrounds and are trained by the company to be a "Perfumer" and dont already walk around with a Masters in Stinkology.

Aromatherapists/therapy can also lead to this title. Be wary tho. Aromatherapy is the most overplayed and overhyped term, as very few are actually "Registered" (like massage)

*footnote* No I'm not gay, GF is an RMT at a baller spa, with lots of access to everything under the sun.

Graham_A_M
09-11-2007, 08:53 PM
^ LOL, your foot note is hilarious, thanks a lot, do you know how to apply to these companies? I'm not to sure how the "hiring fair"
would go:rofl: (probably pretty awkward if anything:confused: )
I guess I'd better make my way over to Paris soon eh?:thumbsup:

To CivicTunr, I said in my post the movie should be in the new releases section still, as I've already watched it, and yes it an AWESOME movie, as it follows the (1985) Book to a tee. Its actually written by a German of all people... the movie is definately off the beaten path per se.
I dont think they'll be anything like it for a while, but most people that have watched say the ending is a little "wonky". But to pay attention to the story line, I think its pretty "fitting" to all the events that have led up to it.

SunniSunShine
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
2007, It should still be on the new release section, its called
" Parfume (/Perfume) : the story of a murderer "

I always had quite an affinity for smell and scents, reading this book felt like reading a biography of me.

Originally posted by CivicTunr
the movie is a guy, who likes the smell of girls, and than kills them, and takes their scent and sells it? im pretty sure.
looked good, is it out yet?

ROFLWTFBBQ

dont help this guy
:rofl:

Graham_A_M
09-13-2007, 11:49 AM
^ :rofl: I know, but I thought I'd be a nice guy :dunno: