PDA

View Full Version : Runners, I need help

The Cosworth
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I have been running off and on for about 5 months. I keep having to stop because I hurt my left calf (my left is my weak leg), and I cant figure out what the problem is. It feels like I am pulling the muscle in this area.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/65/img0601al5.th.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0601al5.jpg)

Now I am not the lightest guy but I also don't weight that much (I am 5'9 and weight about 190) and have a decent amount of muscle. I do stretch after I run but I can't get this area to stretch out.

What do I do, or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

edit: Also it is tender to the touch, I thought I could massage it out and it really hurts to touch

The Cosworth
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
This is all I could find on it on the internet.

Back of the lower leg. The calf muscle is made up of three muscles. The two heads of the gastrocnemeius and the soleus. Usually runners complain of a dull aching pain and in severe cases a sharp intense pain.
How it affects your running

If you have a partial tear or complete rupture of the calf muscle then running will be impossible for 4-12 weeks depending on the injury. If you are suffering from inflammation of the muscle then you can resume training after 7-10 days.
Causes of Calf Pain

Ineffective warm up and warm down routines can lead to calf strains. Excessive hill work and a sudden increase in mileage can cause a calf strain. Many runners carry on running even after the initial signs of a calf strain. They adjust their running stride to increase the forefoot foot slap and decrease heel strike. This further exacerbates the condition.

Calf strains can be caused by dehydration. Many runners don’t adequately hydrate. Deficiencies in calcium, trace minerals and magnesium can also lead calf strains. Therefore we would recommend to ensure adequate water intake and multi minerals.

One of the most common causes is a condition called over pronation. Over pronation basically means that your feet are rolling over too much as you run which causes excessive pressure on the calf muscle and achilles tendon. View the Dr Foot Sports Insoles in the recommended products section for further information.

How do you guys warm up before a run?