PDA

View Full Version : Fav. Police Radar Location

nickyh
07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
FYI: Under the bridge on Glenmore Trail (East & West bound) just before Riverbend / Odgen (18th Street SE) the cops are setting up radar speed traps.
Why am I posting this info - I am sick of the underhanded way they are going about it.
They either have their trunk open or their hood and make it look like they are broken down and they trap both sides so there are usually two or three cars there at one time.

If you want to catch us for speeding please do it in the open, none of the BS tactics and filling your quotas by month end. Since traffic fines increased aren't you happy enough with that?

Blue Devil 2
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
thanks for the heads up

Abom
07-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
If you want to catch us for speeding please do it in the open, none of the BS tactics and filling your quotas by month end. Since traffic fines increased aren't you happy enough with that?

Uhhhhhhhh, assume you're a car thief for a second (I know you're not, I'm just saying assume for a sec). Would you steal a car in the middle of the day in plain open view? :dunno: Why not? Because every idiot would see you doing it. Likewise with these speed traps, the point is to catch you in the act, if you notice the cops, slow down, then speed up again, then the trap is pretty useless, is it not?

As for traffic fines, the cops don't have anything to do with that, since they don't see the revenue generated by it. They're simply doing their job, I'm sure if you were cop, you would be doing the same thing. Besides, most traffic cops would probably agree with you that it's a sneaky way to do it, but again, they're simply doing their job.

If you don't like the traffic fines and/or the "BS tactics", then I suggest you write a letter to your local MLA.

szw
07-02-2003, 02:11 PM
If I were a cop, i'd be sneaky so I can fill up my quota quickly instead of sitting out in the open in the hot sun for hours.

Abom
07-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by szw
If I were a cop, i'd be sneaky so I can fill up my quota quickly instead of sitting out in the open in the hot sun for hours.

:werd: :rofl:

Hash_man
07-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Ya, I don't like it when they do it, because i will admit to occasional speeding .... But they are trying to stop the people that do speed, so lately I have noticed them hiding behind those black and yellow striped signs on medians and such, they blend in pretty good. I notice them doing this quite a bit on woodpark Blvd lately, and that one main road in canyon meadows.. the one that 14th st turns in to.

Abom
07-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Ya, I don't like it when they do it, because i will admit to occasional speeding

:werd: Here's someone who is really honest.

People don't like speed traps and cops because they're getting caught breaking the law, and it's costing them money. The answer would be simple, follow the rules and you won't get in trouble :thumbsup: And if you choose to not follow the rules (this includes side window tint and all that), and you get fined for it, then don't come with the "I hate cops" or "cops suck ass" routine. You got caught breaking the law, it's your own damn fault :thumbsdow

SinisterProbeGt
07-02-2003, 03:31 PM
every cop has to write 20 ticket a month to keep up there quota
regardless of the postion. so thats why you see things like this.

What I hate is when I flip a U-Turn I get a Ticket. But when A cop Flips a U-Turn and turns on his lights and then pulls directly into a timmmy ho's he do his job?? WTF

Abom
07-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
every cop has to write 20 ticket a month to keep up there quota
regardless of the postion. so thats why you see things like this.

What I hate is when I flip a U-Turn I get a Ticket. But when A cop Flips a U-Turn and turns on his lights and then pulls directly into a timmmy ho's he do his job?? WTF

The quota is not the problem, speed traps are all over the country, and all over the world. Calgary drivers are just extremely bad (not speaking of anyone on this site) compared to other major cities (I've lived in quite a few other ones).

As for the cops pulling a U-turn to go to Timmys, well, you can look at it this way. The faster they get done their break, the faster they can get back on the road, and the less likely it will be that they will get a call while going to / on / finishing their break. I know it might sound dumb, but sometimes going the legal way to get to the other side of the road can take like an extra 5 min. Now say just before they finish their break, they get a call of a robbery or something. Had they not taken the extra 5 min to go around the block, they would probably already have been in the cruiser again, and could get to the scene of the incident faster.

Not that I'm saying it's morally or technically right for them to do what you saw, but I'm just saying, gotta look at all the sides.

Honda Attack
07-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Abom

:werd: Here's someone who is really honest.

People don't like speed traps and cops because they're getting caught breaking the law, and it's costing them money. The answer would be simple, follow the rules and you won't get in trouble :thumbsup: And if you choose to not follow the rules (this includes side window tint and all that), and you get fined for it, then don't come with the "I hate cops" or "cops suck ass" routine. You got caught breaking the law, it's your own damn fault :thumbsdow

Breaking the Law?.... You would have to agree that some of the tickets that cops hand out are Bogus... there is a fine line between legit laws that should be enforced, and laws that are there to make money cuz everyone breaks them...

Bogus:
Lowered car - Ticket... (illegal because of POSSIBLE bad installs)
Side Window Tint - Ticket (supposedly for Cops safety)
Altered Lights - Ticket (god only knows why)

Legit:
Speeding in excess of 10 km/h over limt - (no one NEEDS to do 120 on deerfoot) (However I do believe that Canadian Speed Limits are low)
Undue Care and Attention - Possibly kill someone or yourself
Drunk Driving - DUH!

Just my 2 cents... :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
07-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Cops are exempt from traffic laws while on duty.

TalonVelocity
07-02-2003, 05:55 PM
k.. I understand how you guys are saying that if you were a cop, u'd hide and stuff.. and ur slos saying that its stupid that they do it out in the open..

but the point is not to catch you speeding, the point is for you NOT to speed. Even if they find it fun or rewarding to get a ticket, in the ideal situation, the law would rather you not speed at all, than speed and give you a ticket. This way, they eliminate the speed (danger) wherever they are, instead of letting the danger go by, risking lives, and cathing you

Abom
07-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Honda Attack
Bogus:
Lowered car - Ticket... (illegal because of POSSIBLE bad installs)
Altered Lights - Ticket (god only knows why)

Legit:
Speeding in excess of 10 km/h over limt - (no one NEEDS to do 120 on deerfoot) (However I do believe that Canadian Speed Limits are low)
Undue Care and Attention - Possibly kill someone or yourself
Drunk Driving - DUH!

Just my 2 cents... :thumbsup:

Altered lights, I'm curious what that means? If you mean blue turn signal lights, well, you can't see them worth shit during the daytime, so I do understand that (even tho I have had blue bulbs for a long time). Side window tint, well, that's one that will ALWAYS be debated ;) I personally would love to be able to tint my side windows, but I can't, so I don't. And there's a fine for having a lowered car? Never knew that.

Laws and fines regarding to custom cars (lowering, body kits, exhausts, etc) are kind of vague and out of date, simply because the scene is growing very quickly. I agree those are bullshit laws, and need to changed, but speeding isn't one of them.

kenny
07-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Bogus:

Put yourself in a cop's position. Its 4am, and you just pulled over a completely tinted out car and cannot see inside. You are walking towards the driver side door and still cannot see anything because of the tint.

Now... what if the driver is pointing a semi automatic weapon at you? or is reaching for a weapon? Of course it may very well be an innocent person that was just speeding.

Just providing a different point of view! :)

nickyh
07-03-2003, 12:40 PM
If i get caught for speeding it's my own fault - yes. Have not been caught yet because i normally obey the posted limit - especially in residential areas.

My objection is this: there are so many cars on the road that should not be on it. Either they have been in an accident so bad that it's a hazard to drive by or some ol' rusted up thing spewing more oil behind it than anything else.
Wouldn't their time be better served keeping dangerous un-roadworthy vehicles off the streets than trying to catch a speedster.
Speed typically does not kill - unsafe drivers and unsafe cars are more of a threat.

Scat
07-03-2003, 01:09 PM
I sort of agree with that, but speed is just as dangerous.

Sure, you might be a great driver and your car can easily handle high speeds, but there are lots of other factors to consider.
Like other people on the road.

Maybe your doing 130km/h on a road that is 80km/h and you can drive safely that way and your car has no problem doing it, but what about others on the road. A drunk driver could run a red light and collide with you. Speed limits are made for scenarios like this too. You could possibly survive a collision at 80, but its very very unlikely you would survive one at 130. Those are just my thoughs though.

yohan4ws
07-04-2003, 01:51 PM
With the colored lights, I thought it was bogus too ... til i was on the highway at night recently ... there was a vehicle with flashing RED lights on the side of the road (hazards) .. i didnt know wtf it was at first, if they were amber i would know .. there was a black tinted out truck with altezza's .. clear lights in back .. all of a sudden I see these 2 white lights im like wtf .. mind you i as doing 160 in 110zone :thumbsup:

We differentiate colors of lights on cars with the different things they are ... in the city it sall good because everything is illuminated by street lamps but say that you have a fuse blown and your running lights are out, you rheadlights work but your brake lights are blue or something ... if its dark on the highway ppl be like wtf ? .. Just made me think..

but F* it, I'm keeping my clear lights in the front :D

As for aftermarket exhaust tickets? .. I think that you shouldn't get one just because, if your rip it up, stunting, making lots of noise.. sure, get a ticket.. but Greddy exhaust even show DB stats on advertisements and they are just as quiet at idle anda b it louder at higher revs and crazy racing growl at top rpm's... if your going in low rmps .. ( i got a exhaust ticket doing 60 in 4th gear at 2200rpm) thats bullshit.

I saw one dude in a red 3gen prelude all eyein my car tryin to get attention, he passes me i let him cuz i was wit my girl and she's like no racing when im in the car :rolleyes:

fucker peels past me and runs a red light .. not yellow and turned red, solid red before he got there, and after he turned ... was no traffic in a slow zone, a probable safe move but stupid nonetheless... THAT is the type of stuff that gets us tickets because cops stereotype all import cars based on that.. show a lil sport and thats what they expect you do. Albeit im always 20 over the speed limit , i like to weave cars, rev high and stuff ... I dont do stupid shit like not yield to pedestrians, cut people off, make lane changes with milimeters to spare in bumper to bumper traffic .. that gets us all a bad rep.

then again .. convince a cop your not being wreckless doing 30 over the speed limit on glenmore .. or 150 on deerfoot.. *shrug* i go with the flow of traffic and if there is none .. well .. yea

damn .. I must be slow @ work today ... theres my novel!

Honda Attack
07-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Put yourself in a cop's position. Its 4am, and you just pulled over a completely tinted out car and cannot see inside. You are walking towards the driver side door and still cannot see anything because of the tint.

Now... what if the driver is pointing a semi automatic weapon at you? or is reaching for a weapon? Of course it may very well be an innocent person that was just speeding.

Just providing a different point of view! :)

Most of the time anyone who gets pulled over has there window rolled down before the cop walks up... And I have thought about that view point, but I still disagree with it... :thumbsdow

yohan4ws
07-04-2003, 02:07 PM

Most of the time anyone who gets pulled over has there window rolled down before the cop walks up... And I have thought about that view point, but I still disagree with it... :thumbsdow

Thats right blackened tint, what about like 90% tint? ... whats wrong with having enough so you can see more than a silhouette inside the car ? .. isn't that visibility enough?

Abom
07-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
Thats right blackened tint, what about like 90% tint? ... whats wrong with having enough so you can see more than a silhouette inside the car ? .. isn't that visibility enough?

I agree, a light tint (like 45% or lighter) would be fine, you can still see in the car perfectly fine. However, this is not up to the cops, this is up to the lawmakers that create these laws. If you think they should change the law, e-mail or send a letter to your local MLA. I know many cops have no problem at all with light tint, but they're just doing their jobs, they don't make the laws.

yohan4ws
07-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah they're doing their jobs.

one word.

Quotas.

Abom
07-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by yohan4ws
Yeah they're doing their jobs.

one word.

Quotas.

*nods* City makes up that quota, so complaining to city council would be the answer :thumbsup:

ninspeed
07-05-2003, 11:54 AM
The light thing has to do with putting NON- DOT approved lights on the car.. if you buy diffrent lights, and intsall it according to the instrustions, AND its DOT approved (which very very few are) then you are fine.