PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey VS Sienna

topmade
09-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Going to be buying a new van in the next couple of weeks either 07/08 Odyssey or 07/08 Sienna. Probably the medium model in either but we don't really care too much for fancy options just a nice reliable vehicle that we will probably keep for 10+ years.

Looking for opinions from people with experience with one or the other with reliability, opinions, pet peeves, things you should of got or should not of got, etc, etc...

Thanks in advance.

RZRSHARP_SVX
09-11-2007, 11:07 AM
from my expirence I find the sienna drive very smoothly. Has enough power with the V6 (can light them up). as long as you do your regular maitenace you shouldnt have any issues.

jdmXSI
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda FTW! maybe its because i used to work there. But Its probably the nicest van imo, especially if you get the touring!:D

sputnik
09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I would go with the Honda

avow
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
when shopping for the family i found that the fit and finish just seemed to be so much better on the sienna. then again i am a bit of a toyota fanboy... then again the two guys above me drive hondas....

Mr_ET
09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Same, they drive nicer, have a nicer better interior and a better engine imo.

with that said either will get you from point a to point b and be trouble free with regular maintenance.

edit: I mean the honda :P

Xtrema
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda is more sporty of the 2.

Sienna save a bit of gas and a lower starting price, boring drive but very smooth.

cityhunter2501
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
i drive my parents sienna when going out.
the drive is really smooth, it can do 150-160 even with 7 ppl inside.

never drove an odyssey though

mekeni
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
test drive both and see which one has the best deal...

also drive on deerfoot and compare which one is smoother on highway speeds.

thats what I would do even though I've driven both...equal reliability imo..

leec001
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
2007 Odyssey free $1500 Gas Card Plus:

Lease financing starting 3.9% for 48 months*

Or

Choose purchase financing as low as 0.9% up to 36 months*

2007 Toyota Sienna

Sienna

All Models

Lease starting 3.9% for 36 months
finance as low as 2.9% for 36 Months

Odyssey is my choice.

infected
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd take a Honda anyday.

CelicaST-162
09-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Sienna gets my vote! Lots of power!

redblack
09-11-2007, 11:10 PM
i've driven both
in my opinion i find that the sienna is alot more quit inside and i felt more comfortable in the sienna's driver seat

ken.bryle21
09-11-2007, 11:39 PM
i drove my dad's 07 odessey and its very smooth.....

hjr
09-11-2007, 11:56 PM
fuck, its a minivan. pick one and it will be fine. retardo fanboys will even fill up a thread about minivans with their honda/ toyota shit. the both hold people, get decent millage and require you to give up and notions of ever using your dick again. shiiiit, it dont matter much which one you pick.

HondaRice
09-12-2007, 12:09 AM
odessey, sienna all good

sienna does have its advantages though.

stay away from caravan/venture

topmade
09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by hjr
fuck, its a minivan. pick one and it will be fine. retardo fanboys will even fill up a thread about minivans with their honda/ toyota shit. the both hold people, get decent millage and require you to give up and notions of ever using your dick again. shiiiit, it dont matter much which one you pick.
It's all good, I was looking for opinions and also to see if there were any potential problems that only experienced people will know and from the posts, fanboy or not my questions were answered. Seems either will be a good choice for reliability which is 90% what we were looking for and the other 10% is which one the wife likes.

Originally posted by hjr
give up and notions of ever using your dick again.
I can't tell you how wrong you are on this one, even with two kids:poosie:

Originally posted by HondaRice
Never even considered them…:D

Thanks for the input guys:thumbsup: we'll be doing test drives next week.

SilverRex
09-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by HondaRice
odessey, sienna all good

sienna does have its advantages though.

what if I just lease the caravan for 3-4 year term and return

benyl
09-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Caravan are fine for the first 3 years. Much cheaper to lease a Caravan over any of the other vans mentioned.

The problem with Fanboys is that they know nothing about vans.

Since the 3rd Gen Odyssey just came out, problems haven't arisen yet. I would check the edmunds.com forums.

The 2nd Gen Odyssey was plagued with problems, but people still loved them. The power doors were a huge issue. They are slow and you could not open them manually. The power doors on a Caravan are faster and you can open them like any other door. I do not know about the 3rd gen Ody, they may have fixed that.

The Transmission in the second gen was also a huge issue. That has been addressed in the 3rd gen, but Honda is not flawless.

Personally, I would go with the Toyota.

BoS_DC2
09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
for looks, i'd have to go with the odyssey hands down. not sure about anything else though. Are they both similar in power?

trieuth
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
awd sienna ftw!

CokerRat
09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The 2nd Gen Odyssey was plagued with problems, but people still loved them. The power doors were a huge issue. They are slow and you could not open them manually. I do not know about the 3rd gen Ody, they may have fixed that.

The Transmission in the second gen was also a huge issue. That has been addressed in the 3rd gen, but Honda is not flawless.
Power doors work great on the 3rd gen Ody. Open or close in about 3 seconds each direction. Transmission is awesome.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Three years ago, Toyota refused to discount their pricing, even though dealerships east of Manitoba regularly do. So basically you're handing them $2000-3000 more than many people do. When I did my comparison, the Ody was slightly cheaper because of the ability to negotiate the price. No regrets at all.

rusich
09-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Have you considered a Kia Sedona or Huyndai Entourage? I test drove Oddy, Sienna and ended up buying Entourage because it was considerably cheaper and offered a comparable level of refinement. Plus it has a 5 year warranty and has a higher frontal collision rating than it's Japanese counterparts.

Masked Bandit
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by rusich
Have you considered a Kia Sedona or Huyndai Entourage? I test drove Oddy, Sienna and ended up buying Entourage because it was considerably cheaper and offered a comparable level of refinement. Plus it has a 5 year warranty and has a higher frontal collision rating than it's Japanese counterparts.

Funny you mention the Entourage. At last year's car show I was checking out the Hyundai and if it wasn't for the badging I would have sworn it was the Honda. The reviews on them seem to be pretty good too.

Altezza
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
My sister has a 2nd Gen Odyssey. Overall, her ownership experience with the Honda has not been rewarding. They are looking to replace it with a new Sienna or a Lexus SUV. They went back to test drive the new Odyssey as part of their shopping diligence. However, she felt the ride was quieter and more comfortable in the Sienna.

gpomp
09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
The problem with Fanboys is that they know nothing. fixed.

topmade
09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Bought the 07 Sienna LE @ 1.1 lease rate for 3 years. We will buy it out at the end of the 3 years. Didn't go with the 08 because it's the exact same vechile but higher interest because it's 08. didn't get AWD because we didn't feel that was really necessary for our winters. I did a bit more research and both are solid vehicles, but like what most of you have said, I also found that the Sienna has better mileage then the Odyssey, more power, more comfortable, quieter ride, and the most important part is that the wife liked it more then the Odyssey.

Thanks for all the input.

phreezee
09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Congrats on the purchase! I'll have to make the same debate in a few years, so good to know what you thought. Thanks for reporting back.

TomcoPDR
09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by topmade
and the most important part is that the wife liked it more then the Odyssey.

Wife - 1 , Beyond - 0

I like the Odyssey

mark4091
09-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
awd sienna ftw!
vtec odyssey FTW :D

Masked Bandit
09-23-2007, 06:58 AM
So did you end up looking at the Entourage at all? I'm just curious as to how it drove.

dino_martini
09-23-2007, 10:11 AM
If your still shopping around, Driving TV did a test of all the new minivans:

http://drivingtv.canada.com/

if you scroll down a bit, its on the right hand side.

clem24
09-24-2007, 12:22 AM

The 2nd Gen Odyssey was plagued with problems, but people still loved them. The power doors were a huge issue. They are slow and you could not open them manually. The power doors on a Caravan are faster and you can open them like any other door. I do not know about the 3rd gen Ody, they may have fixed that.

Wrong. The 2nd Gen Odyssey doors can be opened manually. I've done it many times on my wife's 2000. They are a little stiff to start but do open and close manually.

Having said that, yes these doors can be a PITA. The driver side door had to have the motor replaced. Outside warranty. Cost something like $600. But they are very convenient when you have 2 hand full of groceries. I just hate how you have to put the car in park to open them, otherwise, you get that annoying beep beep beep beep..

And sometimes (happens maybe 2-3 times per year) the door just refuses to work. I need to open and close manually and then it usually comes back to life. Strange.

[/B]

Haven't had a problem with the tranny yet, but the crank case is emitting a clicking sound when cold. Can't be good.

And my dad is also considering one of these as well. Both top of the lines (XLE AWD & Touring) are only about $1000 off of each other. Toyota has AWD, Honda has cylinder deactivation. I think those are the major mechanical differences. Toyota is more cushy, Honda more sporty (if you can call it that, but my wife's 2000 is quite stiffly sprung - it had LESS body roll than my old 1990 Celica!). Otherwise, Honda has more options and is the slightly cheaper one. My opinion would just be to drive both and see which one you like.