PDA

View Full Version : Shaw changed to only allows users to check email from their network!

HondaRice
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Shaw changed to only allows users to check email from their network!

I been using shaw since it was shaw@home since 1997, recently the changed it so you can no longer use outlook or your email client to CHECK your mail.

This is really stupid, theres no reason for it, defend shaw all you want but this is absolutely stupid.

when I travel its impossible for me do to the work i want to do, i ma going to use their stupid webmail.shaw espically when all my contacts, pda, smart phone are all syncd with a normal mail client

plus what good is a pocket pc if you cant check your shaw mail from it? and webmail.shaw.ca doesnt work on windows mobile pocket pc

its so fraustrating, i use to vpn to my home computer which is just retarded but its still diving me crazy.

i had the same email for years and years not going to change my email address. I pay 100 dollars a month for their internet.

Also, another rant, is I can not stand the anonying shaw commericals, espiaclly when you are watching CNN. they take over every single american channel and flood you with anonying shaw commercials.

Shaw has changed for the worst. they can take their 1mb connetion up they call lighting fast at 100 dollars month and shove it.

bashers begin now:

benyl
09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
ummm:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/RemotePOPAccess.htm

BottleFed
09-11-2007, 03:43 PM
ALL ISP's in calgary that I know of operate the same way...

If you are on Telus... you can't access the telus mail server (mail.telus.net) from a shaw or bell or rogers server either.

Most mail servers are not made "Public domain". This is a VERY common practice.

Xtrema
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
www.gmail.com

www.hotmail.com

Why do you want a shaw.ca address anyway?

And before you bitch, try this:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/Email/RemotePOPAccess.htm

EDIT: damn, too late.

BTW, for a monopoly, at least they are quite competitive on the internet space. Sucks for cable service tho.

benyl
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
no mail host let's you send off the network. The only one that I know of is smtp.ucalgary.ca

But even then, you need a username and password to do it.

sputnik
09-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by benyl
no mail host let's you send off the network. The only one that I know of is smtp.ucalgary.ca

But even then, you need a username and password to do it.

Exactly. If you could send mail through the Shaw SMTP servers without being on the Shaw network you would have a MASSIVE open relay for spammers to use.

Thaco
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeh, they pissed me off a few months ago too, i have my own site which i used my email through there, but they blocked off port 25, i had to ask my server if they have an alternative port, they told me to try it's 2626, so i just use that now, and it works fine.

i NEVER use ISP's mail, they have you by the balls because you don't want to change it. also they can restrict or force whatever they want, like recently they changed EMAIL servers from POP to ICMP, and claimed it was to "upgrade" the users... but it's just to have more control over you.... ISP MAIL FTL!

Do yourself a favor, set up a gmail account or something and slowly move all your stuff over.

Even with Gmail you can use your own client.

HondaRice
09-11-2007, 04:22 PM
thanks but that server still not letting me

i am using westnet wireless i can access anywhere plus webmail at http://mail.westnet.ca so hopefully shaw will be just as easier.

EK 2.0
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I am confused...what does this mean??

I am still using Outlook just fine with no issues...please help a WEBTERNET n00b.

GoChris
09-11-2007, 05:34 PM
who the hell uses isp mail anyway these days

ZEDGE
09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Why not use http://webmail.shaw.ca

:dunno:

*edit.. never mind, I missed that part in your post.

:banghead:

AllGoNoShow
09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I just forwarded my old shaw to my gmail account, i still get stuff from it and i havent been using shaw for a year although I guess my parents still are.

BlackArcher101
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
This is nothing new. For at least 7 years I wasn't able to view e-mails using the shaw webserver when using a non-shaw ISP. I've always had to use webmail. The only way around this is to use the POP settings that has been linked twice. If that doesn't work, then there is an issue here that is probably fixable as Shaw hasn't changed their procedures.

Are you able to use the shaw e-mail when using shaw as the ISP? Is it only when you are not using shaw? Have you tried these alternate servers? http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/InternetSupport/Residential/RoutersandShawServerNames.htm

codetrap
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice

Shaw has changed for the worst. they can take their 1mb connetion up they call lighting fast at 100 dollars month and shove it.

bashers begin now:

Why would you pay for the $100/month package, when the shaw extreme offers the exact same upload for less than half the money?

Also, wtf is icmp mail?

Xtrema
09-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Also, wtf is icmp mail?

You have to ping it for a reply <rimshot>

I think he meant IMAP.

duffy
09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Hondarice isn't talking about SMTP, he's talking about POP3. I worked at Shaw for almost seven years, and POP3 was never allowed to the residential mail servers. We always argued about this, because Telus does allow this (or they did at the time anyways).

No ISP will allows SMTP through their mail servers unless you are on their network at the time. If they did their mail servers would be blacklisted almost immediately.

spikerS
09-12-2007, 09:54 AM
yes, with TELUS you can send using the SMTP.telus.com server, but you have to be a telus customer and on the network and you log into the network with username and password.