PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Unlocked! WAS:Free iphone unlocking on the way

benyl
09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/iphone-dev-team-one-step-away-from-free-unlock/

Now that iPhoneSIMfree is in the wild, the iPhone Dev Team folks that started all this hackery have been looking to see how the iPhoneSIMfree hack works, and seem to have landed upon the solution. Apparently the thrust of what the iPhoneSIMfree folks figured out was that it's possible to write / flash to the baseband of the iPhone -- the chip that controls the main voice and system functions of the phone. Apparently Geohot resorted to his hardware hack because it was believed this couldn't be done. Now that the Dev Team people have observed this flashing in action, they've launched into writing their very own unlocker using the same method, which will naturally be released free of charge as soon as it's ready. All signs point to the free, standalone unlocker being ready soon. On a slightly shadier note, there seems to be a parallel effort to emulate the iPhoneSIMfree server that does the unlocking magic for those currently willing to pay for the privilege. If it's to be believed, the fake server (and free network unlocking) should be ready to go in a matter of hours.

Update 1: The iPhoneSIMfreefree folks have apparently tracked down a willing iPhoneSIMfree licensee to test out the new methods, so it seems we're certainly getting closer to the server spoof method being ready to go.

Update 2: Turns out that license they thought they'd scored fell through, so they're still on the hunt for a working one to get the server spoof up and running. No real word yet on the standalone software from the Dev Team.

EDIT: Unlocked!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/iunlock-released-the-first-free-open-source-iphone-sim-unlock/

benyl
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
At this rate, I should have a free unlocked iphone without a plan in about 200 days... hahaha

shakalaka
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I got mine yesterday, paid shit loads, compared to what they are going to be soon enough. But what the heck, I couldn't be bothered waiting and all that stuff.

GoChris
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
its been done, for those interested. (a free method)

j0nblayz
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
yup stop buying the $850+ unlocked iphones, and use the following method's

http://iphone.unlock.no/
http://www.freeiphoneunlock.com/guide/

VWEvo
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
yup stop buying the $850+ unlocked iphones, and use the following method's

http://www.freeiphoneunlock.com/guide/

Damn you beat me to posting it. On hackintOsh , it is confirmed to have worked with Fido in Montreal. The free hack is awesome. Now if Fedex would hurry up and give me my Iphone by tommorow.

bball2
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the links guys!
Just saw an iPhone in person today, looked pretty sweet.

VWEvo
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I've read through the guides, I'm a complete idiot, this still looks super hard for me. Are there any computer afficionados who could possibly help me out with this.

Wally

j0nblayz
09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
my phone is arriving tomorrow, and i will be doing this hack, so i'll let you guys know how hard it was, and also i can help people unlock.

viperous
09-11-2007, 11:27 PM
How are you guys shipping yours here? I really want to get one but the online store ships to US only.

98type_r
09-12-2007, 12:39 AM
i'm in seattle right now, buying mine tomorrow at the apple store.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

shakalaka
09-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by viperous
How are you guys shipping yours here? I really want to get one but the online store ships to US only.

You can check ebay, tons of them floating there now.

j0nblayz
09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
im doing the manual way instead of the gui way, its currently at 20%, about 20 more minutes to go!! i'll let you guys know how it went

SCHIDER23
09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
im doing the manual way instead of the gui way, its currently at 20%, about 20 more minutes to go!! i'll let you guys know how it went
Keep us updated I'm thinking of doing it as well :thumbsup:

GQBalla
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
anybody else having an issue viewing those websites?

benyl
09-12-2007, 04:27 PM
haha, I think I am going to wait.

The next update to the iPhone is coming. I would laugh if Apple bricks the unlocked iPhones out there with the new update.

I am sure they will come up with a way to make it un-unlockable. DirecTV clamped down a few years ago, there is no reason why Apple can't do the same.

j0nblayz
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
hey guys, the manual hack went smooth, had not a single issue and everything works perfect

VWEvo
09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
hey guys, the manual hack went smooth, had not a single issue and everything works perfect

Thanks for keeping us upto date. If I run into any issues I might ask you.

98type_r
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I've read through the guides, I'm a complete idiot, this still looks super hard for me. Are there any computer afficionados who could possibly help me out with this.

Wally

i too am virtually computer illiterate, anybody wanna help me out with this, i want to get my phone up and running

SunniSunShine
09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r
i'm in seattle right now, buying mine tomorrow at the apple store.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

didnt you need a us address?

viperous
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine

didnt you need a us address?

Not if he went inside an Apple Store.

SunniSunShine
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
oh damn i shoulda picked one up when i was at the southcentre mall in renton a month ago!.. oh well there was a price drop since then anyways :)

98type_r
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by viperous

Not if he went inside an Apple Store.

:werd:

they knew i was a canadian because the need to see photo id for the credit card purchase, didn't seem to care.

got it fully unlocked last night and i'm actually quite impressed with it. i think i had a harder time activating the damn thing that unlocking it... everything went pretty smoothly.

Dope Dealer
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM

So how is the phone? All hype, or does it live up to expectations?

viperous
09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I just ordered mine from the online store.

They needed a US address so I gave them one. I'm having it shipped to our Chicago Office which will then ship it to here to our Calgary Office :clap:

kenny
09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
How do the iPhone updates work? Are they optional? The reason I ask is that if the iphone downloads updates automatically, an unlocked iPhone could be relocked by Apple back to the original carrier (AT&T only at the moment).

punj_abi
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
i heard it relocks when connected 2 itunes??

i'll get mine for sure if that is not tr00000

j0nblayz
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
does not relock if connected to itunes, but if you get an firmware update messeage for 1.0.3, dont do it until its confirmed that it wont relock your phone. Currently the newest fw is 1.0.2, so before even doing the hack, install itunes 2.4.1 and fw 1.0.2 so your all up to date.

msg me if you have any issues unlocking

98type_r
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
i've connected to itunes on 2 pc's after unlocking and habve had no problems.

viperous
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Is there a need to restore if you use it on a different computer (pc to mac) like they do for the iPods?

Also, anyone tried the fake activation using DVD Jon technique?

92_VTEC_lude
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
unlocked both my 4GB and 8GB today using the free iunlock software and took me 3 mins for the firmware flashing step on both iphone and I and using ROGER SIM card right now, I am using itune 7.3 and nothing is wrong with both iphones... very happy as I almost paid $800 for a 8GB unlocked iphone on ebay...:D I also donate US$ 20 to the iphone dev team for this free kick ass software and Harro guy for written the very easy GUI unlock app on iphone.
Now my task is completed after I just got YOUTUBE to work over wifi on both phone now time to play with all the features of this iphone....:D

98type_r
09-13-2007, 11:07 PM
EDGE settings for Rogers:

settings>general>network>edge

APN: internet.com
username: wapuser1
password: wap

tested and it works for me.

92_VTEC_lude
09-14-2007, 08:23 AM
EDGE settings for Rogers:

settings>general>network>edge

APN: internet.com
username: wapuser1
password: wap

tested and it works for me.

will ROGER charge me my left arm and my rigth leg for using it??
and 98type_r thanks for the PM reply I was it was my friend luck that he missed by 1 day....:D

R-Audi
09-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Its not a super amazing deal... but I found a guy in the States willing to do $460 shipped for the 4gb one, unlocked with a bunch of other programs on it. (NES Emulator with games etc)
if anyone is interested.. pm me. If you do it today and fairly soon (Friday@11am) We should be able to save some cash on shipping

benyl
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
isn't the 4gb one $299 USD? that is about $310 CDN right now. Are you telling me shipping is $150?

R-Audi
09-14-2007, 11:31 AM
The way I broke it down was this:
-299 phone
-50 unlock (im not comuter saavy, and would rather pay someone to do this and be worry free)
-35-40 shipping/Insurance

He makes about $75 on it... which is fine with me. I dont have a US address, have to worry about unlocking it, plus there are extra programs/games loaded on it.
I guess Im paying for a piece of mind.

You could buy a 299 one... then worry about shipping.. then worry about unlocking, then look for other games. Im happy paying $75 to not.

Super_Geo
09-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
The way I broke it down was this:
-299 phone
-50 unlock (im not comuter saavy, and would rather pay someone to do this and be worry free)
-35-40 shipping/Insurance

He makes about $75 on it... which is fine with me. I dont have a US address, have to worry about unlocking it, plus there are extra programs/games loaded on it.
I guess Im paying for a piece of mind.

You could buy a 299 one... then worry about shipping.. then worry about unlocking, then look for other games. Im happy paying $75 to not.

Makes $75 on it? More like $125... unlocking it should be free now, so for him to do this there's a $125 margin.

That's quite a bit of money IMO.

I'm in if this guy can do it for $400. Let me know and I'll email you the money... I still have your contact details from the iPod group buy.

R-Audi
09-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I would have paid someone to unlock it anyways... so i am completely comfortable with the amount I paid. I originally offered 400 and was turned down...

I dont think whatever extra cash is a huge deal.. he picked them up, unlocked them and is shipping them out. I dont expect this to be done for free. There is also about 6+ extra programs.. 200 NES games, Finder, Preview, Netstumbler, rsbt, Terminal, and others.
If anyone wants his email.... pm me. I just dont think he will go much lower then that, and dont expect him to. already have one extra person getting one....

92_VTEC_lude
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
you have to ship the phone by UPS AIR EXPRESS or you will get charge the danm broker fee from UPS, if you choose to ship with USPS then you will also get charge from Canada custom for any gift over canadian $60 in value, and trust me you will want to insure that package when you ship or it will be lost quickly. I priced a 8GB iphone for my friend and it came out like this

US $399 + 8% tax = US $432 (this is if he can buy one in Washington state)
UPS EXPRESS shipping = US $65
it came out total of US $497 which equal to canadian $534

I am trying to find friend or relative over US to buy a 8GB iphone for him and could not find anyone yet because I heard that Apple released new iphone with newer firmware and it may stop the iunlock. Yeah I can easily unlock that iphone in 30 mins for free for him. And go for the 8GB iphone I got a 4GB iphone as my birthday gift and I can say it is not enough room for any of my mp3 and music video while my wife is pretty comfortable with her 8GB iphone. The extra programs and games is all over the internet and all can be installed onto the iphone as long as you know how to click a PC mouse (ibrickr, AppInstaller)...:D

bball2
09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Well if anyone wants an easier unlocking method, looks like the have a "for dummies" version out now:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/15/iunlock-reloaded-free-iphone-unlocking-for-dummies-now-availabl/

483hp
09-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Here's a question for all of you that are using the iPhone right now.

Have you gotten your first bills? Is the phone heavy on data transmission?

tha_bandit
09-17-2007, 12:51 AM
so 4 the simple gui method, does your version of itunes matter?
i have heard that i should not download itunes 7.4? anyone help me out?

j0nblayz
09-17-2007, 06:52 AM
the_bandit: doesn't matter, you can use the newest itunes 7.4.1

I heard mixed reviews on the new anysim gui app. I still recommend doing the manual way til anysim is fixed up a little more.

92_VTEC_lude
09-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by bball2
Well if anyone wants an easier unlocking method, looks like the have a "for dummies" version out now:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/15/iunlock-reloaded-free-iphone-unlocking-for-dummies-now-availabl/

you still have to SSH into the iphone and run command while I used a GUI iunlock which have a button on iphone called UNLOCK and touch it to run the iunlock, the software was written by
http://www.freeiphoneunlock.com/unlock/
even those it says beta but it worked great for me for 2 unlocking 2 iphone so far. I still think the GUI iunlock beta is much easier for people to run as long as you know how to send a app to iphone then you can run it from the iphone.
I just won an ebay auction for my friend with a brandnew seal in the box 8GB iphone for US $435 + UPS EXPRESS ship US $65 as she wants to have it ASAP...:D I will unlock her iphone with the iunlock GUI beta as well when it gets here tomorrow....:thumbsup:

98type_r
09-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Iphone is very heavy on data transmission, but I have an unlimited data plan so I'm not too worried.
I've checked usage logs and apparently the iphone likes to update itself periodically so there are data sessions when I'm not even using the phone. You might want to disable/change the EDGE setting to prevent unwanted usage charges for something you're not even doing.

92_VTEC_lude
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
yeah I blanked out all the EDGE setting my 2 iphone so no accident log on roger data and have my left leg cut off by them...:D

there is an update version of the iunlock with GUI and run from iphone
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
going to try this one when my friend iphone get here....:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
09-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Iphone is very heavy on data transmission, but I have an unlimited data plan so I'm not too worried.

How much is that per month? Rogers?

98type_r
09-17-2007, 12:48 PM
yeah i'm on rogers, but it's an employee line so that would be $0

i do have a friend who just signed up to a new plan with unlimited date for maybe $90/month with 700 WD minutes. i'll see if i can get the details of the plan for anyone interested.

tha_bandit
09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
the_bandit: doesn't matter, you can use the newest itunes 7.4.1

I heard mixed reviews on the new anysim gui app. I still recommend doing the manual way til anysim is fixed up a little more.

so i can use new itunes, but how do i send the iunlock app to my phone, only thorough ssh? the newer anysim app is a .pxl app so i can use ibricker to upload it? how did u do it?

viperous
09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
mine arrived today!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Will be posting up pictures and a video on the unlocking method on my blog.

tha_bandit
09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
word add some detailed steps on the video.

viperous
09-19-2007, 01:46 AM
:clap:

My iPhone is officially unlocked is working under the Rogers network. It was a bit tedious I'll admit since there isn't really a good strong documentation out there. Felt like I had to go back and forth between some.

Hopefully I'll have the video for you guys ready by the end of the weekend.

punj_abi
09-19-2007, 01:10 PM
i don't get the data issue. sorry.

so you guys mean, even if you do not use the internet it will still transmit data???????

92_VTEC_lude
09-19-2007, 02:34 PM
just finished unlock another 8GB iphone for my friend with YOUTUBE hack to use it with wifi only with ANYSIM unlock app from
http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
I got version 1.0 because I hit an error at the end of the unlock saying UNLOCK FAILED but after turn off the iphone completely and back on and voila her ROGER sim card works fine and YOUTUBE enable over wifi...:thumbsup: I must say unlock iphone gets very easy with these softwares:
1- ibrickr 0.8 to jailbreak
2- activate with wiNstaller
3- patch the youtube and the lockdown file with 1 click app
4- use ibrickr 0.8 to install ANYSIM app onto iphone using PXL package and run ANYSIM from iphone wait for 15 mins or so and it is DONE.
you do not need to install any extra SSH server into iphone at all and you do not need to use any other program to log into the server on your iphone. The YOUTUBE hack I used can be found
http://rapidshare.com/files/55289251/PACAY__by_brasuco_.rar.html
They are updating the ANYSIM app to 1.0.1 and solved the timing issue.
last time I used the BETA of the iunlock GUI and it was faster than ANYSIM app in unlock but I can not see what it is doing to the iphone, but both way works very well for me after 3 iphones unlocked...:thumbsup:

update: ANYSIM 1.0.1 is in ibrickr 0.8 and you can install it straight from ibrickr I found out about this after I did the long way with 1.0....:D

98type_r
09-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by punj_abi
i don't get the data issue. sorry.

so you guys mean, even if you do not use the internet it will still transmit data???????

Yes, so if you want to avoid getting charged then you might want to disable the internet altogether by blanking out the edge settings.

D'z Nutz
09-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I just unlocked mine. This is a pretty neat phone! You can even run your own little apache server on it! :rofl:

I don't recall seeing any information posted about activating the iPhone in this thread, so I'll just add this link:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=204980

After that, I found this link (already posted) to be the most helpful:

Just in case anyone else wants to try.

viperous
09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I know I was supposed to get those videos up, but been having problems with the audio.

What D'z Nutz should work for most. It's not that complicated.

I've also set up a blogging site for current news and application reviews.

Enter the iPhone (http://www.entertheiphone.com)

I'll be putting up my videos here instead.

max_boost
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I was just at Rogers getting my sim card for my I-phone and the guy working there was telling me his buddy over at Omega Cell on 17th AVE SW just brought in a few hundred unlocked I-phones.

$599!

So give them a shout if anyone wants one!

7thgenvic
09-24-2007, 04:38 PM
^^^^^aren't the phones only 400 bux?^^^^

tacsniper
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
^^^^^aren't the phones only 400 bux?^^^^

you also need to factor shipping, customs, labour to unlock the phone and profit!

92_VTEC_lude
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I was just at Rogers getting my sim card for my I-phone and the guy working there was telling me his buddy over at Omega Cell on 17th AVE SW just brought in a few hundred unlocked I-phones.

$599!

yeah canadian $600 for an 8GB iphone is pretty reasonable as I bought one for my friend last week and it came out to total of canadian $550 with all the UPS epxress 1 day shipping and the GST on top. But if that $600 is for a 4GB iphone then that is asking for too much, not likely they are selling the 4GB version of iphone as Apple stop making them already....:D

SunniSunShine
09-25-2007, 08:58 AM
so vtec lude, are you gonna unlock mine once i buy it :D

kenny
09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
So theres rumors of Apple bricking unlocked iPhones on the next update due later this week. Probably just a scare tactic to make some people think twice... but still noteworthy.

benyl
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
They are voiding warranties... or so I heard.

boredengineer
09-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by kenny
So theres rumors of Apple bricking unlocked iPhones on the next update due later this week. Probably just a scare tactic to make some people think twice... but still noteworthy.

:dunno: There is a lot of bullshit scare tactics going on at the moment mostly propagated by the "iPhone Dev Team" who are not affiliated with Apple Inc. All Apple said is they are NOT responsible if their updates accidentally break the hacks done by the iPhone Dev Team. Apple never said they would be purposefully breaking the phones or that they even minded people modding their phones. All they have said is if you use 3rd party firmware mods you are on your own if the mod ends up breaking your phone when an update comes down. You are replacing the firmware on an embedded device and let me tell you if you mess up that firmware it will be useless till someone can crack open the phone and reflash the memory. That would require hardware people would not have on hand...

benyl
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/25/apple-not-looking-to-proactively-disable-unlocked-iphones/

Pacman
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi, I'm a normal smart phone!
Hi, I'm an Iphone!

I'm almost infinitely upgradeable, allowing my users to customize and use me as they see fit. There's a burgeoning software industry out there that provides support for a broad array of applications that make me a useful tool for those that need portable technology.

I'm pretty much going to be the same thing you took out of the box I came in forever unless you're just interested in changing colors or something. From time to time, my manufacturer will push an update to my software and you have no choice as to whether you accept it or not. If you mess with me too much, my manufacturer will disable me and tell you it's your fault. You can't even replace my batteries! Can I interest you in a new carrying case?

No thanks, but that does go nicely with your turtleneck sweater and square shoes.

ZorroAMG
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
LOL...the hating never ceases....

Toms-SC
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
LOL...the hating never ceases....

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/holy_shit_iphone2.gif

ZorroAMG
09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
LOL.

Bandwagons work both ways.

OMGZORZ t3h iPhone iz ovarrrrratedz!!! My random POS phone arz just as gud!!! I luv my Zune!!!

:rofl:

R-Audi
09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Anyone know how to import contacts from your SIM card?
Got my ophone today and have spent most of the day playing with it...guy i bought it from also loaded a bunch of other programs.. the Nintendo is awesome! Excite Bike ftw! (or Galactica?)

98type_r
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
can't import contacts from your sim, can't even access them as far as i know. The only way to import contacts is through iTunes.:thumbsdow

maplelodge
10-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

$599!

I just called and they told me $699...

R-Audi
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I was ina few weeks ago.. and saw someone get a 3 year contract with an 8gb for $550.
I think the price went up with the updated software not being cracked yet...at least this is the case on eBay.

Lagerstatten.ca
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Friend just came back last week from Florida. Brought back 6 iPhones with him. Unlocked all of them with my Macbook and the AnySim application.

Pretty straight forward after the 3rd one. Takes about 20 minutes.

Everything works:

Calls in/out
SMS in/out
Youtube
WiFi

Edge - Didn't try as all the SIMs I worked with were with Fido. It just said there was no Edge Account or something.

I can unlock iPhones with Firmware 1.0.2 for a small fee if anyone's interested.

-TT

tha_bandit
10-10-2007, 10:13 PM
just unlocked mine, got it shipped over, 299 for the 4gb model, plus CA tax $25, $18 gst and that stupid ass ups fee was like$ 38, unlocking it was the fun part, install nes and other crap, even better!