PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

el_fefes
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Some guy backed into my (parked) car and as usual I got his information. He told me he would talk to a friend that owns a bodyshop but that if I didn't hear from him in a day to call his insurance company.

Now, I don't have collision insurance so my insurance company won't deal with this. Anyway I called his company and they told me to contact my insurance company; I told them that since I don't have collision coverage they would have to deal with me. The lady then told me that he needs to call first, and when I asked them if they could call him they said they couldn't.

I called the guy and told him to call his insurance company, and he said he would but it's been a day and I haven't received a call.

My question is: Is his insurance company screwing me over or does he actually have to call in first?

Douche
09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Same thing happened to my gf. Her insurance took care of everything, all she needed was a police report and the other drivers info. Her insurance commpany went after the other insurance company.

The Cosworth
09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
You need to call your company, they will deal with it for you.

Collision is only for if YOU are at fault of the accident

whiskas
09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Collision insurance is for when YOU are at fault, everyone who has insurance has comprehensive insurance, so you are covered, call your insurance company and have them go after this guy. After all, that's why you pay them :)

edit: ahaha we both capitalized you

el_fefes
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice...I had called my insurance company yesterday and the lady told me to call his insurance.

After I read the posts I called my insurance again and this time they helped me :dunno:

Speed_69
09-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm an insurance broker and that's not exactly how the way it works, well at least from my experience.

If you don't have collision coverage and someone hits your vehicle, you actually have to go after the other insurance company yourself. If you do have collision coverage, your own insurance company will pay for your damages first then they will subrogate against the other insurance company after if things are taking too long.

403Gemini
09-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Collision insurance is for when YOU are at fault, everyone who has insurance has comprehensive insurance, so you are covered, call your insurance company and have them go after this guy. After all, that's why you pay them :)

edit: ahaha we both capitalized you

Originally posted by brendankharris
You need to call your company, they will deal with it for you.

Collision is only for if YOU are at fault of the accident

Wrong and wrong, if the OP didnt purchase collision coverage, his insurance technically cant represent him.

Originally posted by el_fefes
Some guy backed into my (parked) car and as usual I got his information. He told me he would talk to a friend that owns a bodyshop but that if I didn't hear from him in a day to call his insurance company.

Now, I don't have collision insurance so my insurance company won't deal with this. Anyway I called his company and they told me to contact my insurance company; I told them that since I don't have collision coverage they would have to deal with me. The lady then told me that he needs to call first, and when I asked them if they could call him they said they couldn't.

I called the guy and told him to call his insurance company, and he said he would but it's been a day and I haven't received a call.

My question is: Is his insurance company screwing me over or does he actually have to call in first?

Yes , the third parties insurance company was fucking you over. Call them up again, tell them to stop being so fucking lazy and since you dont have collision coverage your insurance company doesnt need to send them a demand letter, now start the fucking claim and begin their investigation.

If you pretty much say that word for word they'll do it ;)

edit:

Originally posted by Speed_69
I'm an insurance broker and that's not exactly how the way it works, well at least from my experience.

If you don't have collision coverage and someone hits your vehicle, you actually have to go after the other insurance company yourself. If you do have collision coverage, your own insurance company will pay for your damages first then they will subrogate against the other insurance company after if things are taking too long.
bingo :thumbsup: