PDA

View Full Version : rear ended what now?

Energieballa
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
So yesturday i was leaving my school parking lot and this guy thought for some reason that i was no longer in the drive way so he hits the gas and rear ends me. Now its a 93 civic hatchback so the whole "tailgate" part of the hatch is all dented in at the bottom. where the hinge connects to the car it pushed that in as well any way theres about $2500 damage. Now the guy isnt sure if he wants to go through insurance or not. So he said hell just pay me the amount. But i havnt told him how much it is yet. Now the question is do i just go through insurance or do I get money from him?

2006lancer
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
consider him paying you cash. unless you plan on making a claim. it wouldnt affect his insurance rates and its a cool thing to do on your part as long as your not hurt.

Energieballa
09-11-2007, 05:51 PM
no i didnt get hurt or anything its just i dunno if hes got the cash.

Slashin_
09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
get a quote from a autobody shop, show him
maybe throw 200-300 on top(if hes an ass)
make sure you get things in writing
verbal contracts are to shitty, don't know if the other guy is gonna back out or not
take down his insurane info + drivers

Lucky97
09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
do you have any picture of the damage?

Energieballa
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
ya i can get pics of the damage. I already got a quote. I was quoted 2300$ at an autobody job but she said once they take of the bumper and stuff there might be more damage. She also said insurance might just write the vehicle off.

schurchill39
09-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Did you contact the police? IIRC if the damage is more then $1000 there needs to be a police statement for it and the bodyshop cannot fix it until its got a damaged sticker.

shakalaka
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
If the damage is over $1000 you must get a damaged sticker from the police. It's illegal to drive around the car without one, and the police can give you a ticket for that if you are caught driving the car. Once you do that, tell the guy the estimate and if he's ready to pay cash, then why would you want to go to the Insurance company? Just take the cash and settle it there. However if he can't afford the amount, then you obviously have no alternative.

al-ti2d
09-12-2007, 12:19 AM
hope he doesn't try and fuck you over man

ercchry
09-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Energieballa
no i didnt get hurt or anything its just i dunno if hes got the cash.

you didnt get hurt from getting rear-ended when it caused over 2g damage?

yeah i think you maybe hurt soon, let me tell you a story...

at the beginning of june i got rear ended in my work truck, i was going about 10-20km/h and he was going about 50km/h. now the truck i was in was a reg cab chev 1/4 ton and he was in a gmc 3/4 ton and when i was hit i put my head threw the rear window. right after it happened i pulled off the road to not cause more traffic to be backed up and hop right up and out of the truck and started to yell at the guy.

the damage to the truck was just the window that i put my head threw and the rear bumper, so no biggy never called the cops or anything. i went to a walk in clinic later that day since the acident happened when i was working and the 'doctor' (if you can call him that) just ask me a few questions and moved my neck around and told me to go back to work the next day. now im a pretty big guy and have played a lot of contact sports in my time and i just shrugged this off to being like getting hit in rugby or football by decided that maybe some physio would be good, so i did that and continued on with work and everything until i finally got into my family doctor who put me on light duty a month later then 2 weeks after that (so mid july) took me right off work.

and guess what im doing right now? 4 hours of rehab 5 days a week for 4 weeks and i still cant work, now i dont know about you but if i EVER get rear ended again im sitting in the seat not moving and calling an ambulance right away and going threw insurance for sure, since there is no way in hell i would want to be stuck with no income and no way to pay for physio/rehab on my own

oh and yeah get a police report done, you have some time to do it but you will have to go with your car and his car to the station and get it done (cars have to be present) and no real shop will work on a car without a damage sticker

freakin
09-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Take it to your insurance company regardless. I've been in this situation before and got fucked. You need to make a claim and get it on record with them. The other party still has the option to pay out of their own pocket, but this way you still have the option to take it through insurance if they get shady.

Also, get the police statement down ASAP. It'll help your case and you'll need it to get the car fixed as mentioned above.

Lucky97
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
what school was this at btw?

fcukda
09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
get a police report asap, with that he cant really screw you over because if he decides not to pay you can still go through insurance and he cant denie it. Both cars dont need to be present at the station. you could go by yourself and the police will contact the other party and get that side of the story. If he trys to make a excuse up like "i dont want to get any tickets cuz of this." He wont get any tickets.

Energieballa
09-12-2007, 09:50 PM
i already got a police report and a little white tag. And it was at forest lawn high.

Dayclone
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
OOooo you don't want to write off your car... Insurance is always going to give u the end of the shaft. But if it happens that way then argue with them and see if they can pay you the amount that you "want" of course it can't be A LOT better... but goodluck! if he doesn't pay, make a claim and screw him over :)

MrSector9
09-13-2007, 07:38 AM
yeah 72 hours after is usually when whiplash will set in....

i can honestly say it is the worrst damn thing ever too.. like a toothache ntohing you can do to make it feel any better.

if you are not hurt then settle with cash, notify your insurance company anyway sot hat it is on record with them.

get everything like stated above in writing from him and tell himy ou want a cashiers cheque or a bank draft, that way he cannot stop payment or say it was stolen (who knows what folks will do)

insurance will definatly write it off.

300zxfairlday
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Take the cash if he has it because going thru insurance is sometimes also a bitch. The whole process takes way to long.

natejj
09-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
Take the cash if he has it because going thru insurance is sometimes also a bitch. The whole process takes way to long.

Yeah, take cash. But only if he pays it all at once, and in cash. If he gives you a cheque, make him meet you at the bank and cash it there. As much as I do enjoy the threads on beyond like "I GOT SCAMMED" or "WTF DO I DO..." it will save you a large headache.

aln
09-13-2007, 02:53 PM
sorry about stealing this thread but what happens when the insurance writes off your car? do they pay you buy the "red book" or do they pay you what is recorded through your insurance (the amount you told the insurance company your car is worth)? i recently got into a car accident as well and this info would be quite helpful to me. what should i do after an adjuster comes and takes a look at my car? again sorry for the thread steal.

Lucky97
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
any pictures yet? i wanna see how bad the damage is.

JRSC00LUDE
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Why not have a party on the side of the road?

:D

edit - but seriously, I don't understand why people trust strangers to fork over a bunch of cash to forget about insurance. You're just asking to get screwed imo. And what happens when the bodyshop estimates everything and then once you've been paid (if you even get the money) and they take it apart to fix it they find another 5 or 800 worth of damage? You're SOL.

Energieballa
09-13-2007, 05:47 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img292/4051/11897264903ou.smilhttp://img292.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img292/4051/11897264903ou.smil

Thats what it looks like.
Btw the guy goes to my school so its not like hes gunna run away i see the kid everyday so. If i go through insurance and it gets wrote off im going to be a little pissed cuz this car has to much shit into it that im not going to get back.

Lucky97
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
what kind of car hit you becuase thats pretty high up. but i am pretty sure your car won't be a write off

Energieballa
09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
A cavalier. My car is lowered thats why the damage is so high if it was riding at stock it probly would have hit the bumper but shere it hit it pushed in all the bracing for the hinge and buckled in the corner and bent up the bracing for the bumper.