PDA

View Full Version : needed basement suite for Aish Reciepiant

Kritafo
09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Okay I know this is a long shot but we are running out of resources.

My brother in law is being forced out of his basement suite Sept 30, he needs a place. . He is currently paying $300.00/ month, and is on every housing list in the city. It doesn't have to be pretty, just the essentials. Bathroom, stove, fridge...somewhere to sleep.

Please contact me if you know anyone willing to help.

max_boost
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
$300??? Is that even possible anymore?

Why doesn't he just move in with you?

Kritafo
09-12-2007, 12:40 PM
There are several groups in the city that help Aish by being on lists for assisted living. How do you think a person on a $550.00 income can live in Calgary.

To be not to long winded on why he cannot live with us...he is mentally and physically disabled. He has lots of anger issues with my husband who is his step brother. They have never been able to get along when the lived together. Now we have 2 children and he can't stand the noise, the hours they keep, when we eat, etc. He is better off on his own.

Rat Fink
09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
he is mentally and physically disabled. He has lots of anger issues

maybe not the best sales pitch.....

Kritafo
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
that is why he on Aish....how do you glamorize that...he is what he is...It's for severely handicap...mentally and physically. He functions like a 11 year old and has muscle condition that leave him very weak.

boredengineer
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Group homes an option?

Kritafo
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
He has been on a list for about 1 1/2 years

Kritafo
09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
okay good news....after everything he got an apt for 255.00 and will be moving in Sept 30! no DD either. Thanks for the housing authority and my phone calls to his MLA and Aish workers.

they got him a place in 3 days, with no Damage Deposit and it's not a basement suite with utilities....

That my friends is supported living!

Rat Fink
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Tik-Tok
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I wonder if I can pretend to be really angry and get the government to pay half my mortgage?

Gainsbarre
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I wonder if I can pretend to be really angry and get the government to pay half my mortgage?

:confused: You're rather be mentally/physically disabled than pay for your mortgage without financial assistance from the government?

Sharpie
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Originally posted by Gainsbarre

:confused: You're rather be mentally/physically disabled than pay for your mortgage without financial assistance from the government?
Key word there is pretend....

eina15
09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Ah yes, everyone appreciates it when systems are taken advantage of and help is taken away from those who really need it....:rolleyes:

Tik-Tok
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
ye gods, it was a joke people. :rolleyes:

Kritafo
09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
trust me...if he could have dealt with my children and their noise levels I would have put in the basement suite and rented it out to him. It would have been so much easier. Trust me he knows how bad his life sucks...try never going on a vacation and hearing about everyone else enjoying theirs. Never having extra money for anything, second hand pretty much everything. His life sucks. We try to do as much as we can for him, we do have 2 children of our own that come first. He went to the food bank today. They re-evaluate him on a yearly basis I believe.

On the other hand my children have grown up saving little things like halloween candy and easter candy for their Uncle...they do special things for him. They donate to the food banks etc. We clean out our pantry on a monthly basis, anything we aren't using goes to him.

Toma
09-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Well, isnt there other funding? I have a person living with me in a "supported living" environment (in my basement), and yeah, I only charge $400 a month rent, but the government pays me a nice tax free salary on top of that.

I have another friend on Aish (schizophrenic), and same deal, her rent is $350 a month, but the person she rents space from earns $2500 a month for the supportive living arrangement she provides.

Whats the deal? What agency is he with? Or are you tyring to be the support provider, but get cheap rent outta someone that isn't? That's not how this works. With anger issues, espeically if there happens to be a history of violence, his funding should be very high... probably $3000 a month or more. If that's the case, I can take him as a room mate....

Toma
09-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
holy crap. 255/mo for a place in Calgary? that's nuts. How does that work? Does the government pay some along with that 255? ......just thinking how many landlords would rent a place out for that unless your bro is paying 255 and the gov't is covering some too.
The ALberta governemtn has various support programs for people on Aish, Disability or the PDD. Last I looked, the ODD spends about $1.5 billion a year in Alberta.

And yes... its very abused by some, but essential for others. Natural supports are not paid, but outside workers, supports, and agencies ara salaried.

Not to mention, their meds, health care and other living expenses are also funded.

Kritafo
09-14-2007, 07:05 AM
He recieves PDD funding to go to school they have been retraining him for 15 years! He still can't pay his bills and manage money. I keep saying they should stop wasting their time, but they keep sending him. He has a support worker but the client doesn't have to use their services.

Housing: I think it also depends on the amount of support you provide. The lady that was suppose to be his support - took the money. I don't know how much she got. But was really helpful in storing all his things that we have bought him over the years in her backyard for 2 years not covered. Ruined couch, chair, bed, bookshelves, tv stand.

He does receive a pension from his deceased father which decreases his amount.

I just got a call from his trustee yesterday because we are listed as support they won't pay his damage deposit either. But we can't call and ask them anything as we aren't really related. My husband was never formally adopted by the step dad. So even though they have been "brothers" for 45 years it means nothing that we help him out financially and emotionally and we are the only family he has, we are nobody to the government.

ON top of it all he has developed a drinking problem....

Right now I am looking for a new agency for him. He needs someone to control his finances, pay his bills for him, give him the least amount of cash in pocket as possible. NO money no drinking. It's been very difficult. It was even worse when AVC had a dating program and his girlfriend was trying to get pregnant... Yeah....imagine my nightmare. Neither of them could take care of themselves... .

:eek: