PDA

View Full Version : Approaching a prof without insulting them...

ashee
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
So I have RELS201 in French and because of the French part there are 8 people in my class, which is pretty cool. Our prof is a PhD student and her french isn't exactly marvelous, she uses tons of english words and told us at the beginning of the class that she won't mark our essays for grammar because she hasn't written anything in french since highschool. I thouht that was a little odd but whatever. She gets into lecturing and all she does is read from her laptop, no power point, no apparent theme/flow to the lecture, no spelling out of any religious words that I have no clue how to even begin spelling, no class syllabus to explain anything, no blackboard (I asked her if any of the notes from today will be posted on blackboard so I could fill in anything I missed and she didn't even KNOW what blackboard was), a text that is very complicated to read, and so on...

How do I go about expressing to her that I am going to have a difficult time getting anywhere in her class without knowing what her expectations are, what she wants us to focus on understanding from her lectures, etc. without insulting her or making myself seem like an undirected idiot??

Team_Mclaren
09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
drop it and take it in eng

harv91
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
show her ur JUGS :rofl:

signature7
09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
drop it

TegLover
09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by harv91
show her ur JUGS :rofl:

:rofl:

GTS Jeff
09-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by TegLover

:rofl: Do not confuse fatsacks with real breast.

2006lancer
09-13-2007, 12:26 AM
just tell her whats up

JGerke
09-13-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't think there is anyway you can....maybe since its a student you have a better chance. Anytime you tell a prof their material is not working they seem to take offence. Take it cautiously and you might be ok?

toyboy88
09-13-2007, 07:04 AM
See if any of your classmates feel the same way, if 3/4 of you go all at once and "discuss" with her...you may make more of a point?

ekguy
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by toyboy88
See if any of your classmates feel the same way, if 3/4 of you go all at once and "discuss" with her...you may make more of a point?

this would seem like a logical way to approach the subject. whats this course your taking in french. I wasn't aware of there being any post secondary courses available in french out here.

toyboy88
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
RELS is religious studies...there are a bunch of courses you can take in french at U of C (ie RELS, SOCI, ECON, etc.)

LadyTurbo
09-13-2007, 12:03 PM
I would just tell her the truth. You don't have to be rude about it, but there's no point pretending everything's fine. Last year my roomie sent her accounting prof an email saying she spoke too fast and no one could follow her lectures... it made a world of difference and the prof was happy that someone came forward to let her know. If you tell her and she gets angry, drop it and take it in English :P

topmade
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Do not confuse fatsacks with real breast.
:rofl: :rofl: I was looking for your post when I saw the poster....

But to get back on track
If it's really bad complain to the dean this way you stay anomynous. But just remember, if only you complain they probably won't think too much of it, but if more like 50%+ then they will do something about it.

TimG
09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
^^

get the whole class together and visit the department chair or the dean.

H4LFY2nR
09-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Sounds like she has never taught a course yet. If you offer her some constructive criticism I'm sure she would appreciate it. It's only the profs who have been teaching for years that get offended when you criticsize them.

Eleanor
09-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Welcome to University, first year engg, PHYS 369 Dr. Hillary Carteret. Class started out with about 150 ended with about six people still going to lectures. Don't go to lectures, simple.

JRSC00LUDE
09-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Do not confuse fatsacks with real breast.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I could take a picture of myself tipping my hat to you right now, I certainly would.

boostless
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Drop it and take it w/ Anne White, best prof ever!

Or just talk to her, just dont make her feel stupid.

Ajay
09-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by boostless
Drop it and take it w/ Anne White, best prof ever!

:werd:

Anne White is a wicked prof for Religious Studies.

boostless
09-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, easy too. I went to about 4 lectures and still got an A- :rofl:

One test i totally forgot we had it, she said i could just walk out and write it with other ppl a week after. Another test i bombed the written, so i told her i had another midterm that day, so she said i could rewrite it the day other ppl were, i got the exact same test and could rewrite the multiple choice too!