PDA

View Full Version : Importing a motorcycle

Wadokai
09-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew any document which outlined the rules and regulations for importing motorcycles from Asia.

Also wanted to know if there are certain fees/tariffs that would be required to be paid in order to import into Canada.

Let me know! thanks! =]

Masked Bandit
09-13-2007, 03:27 PM
There may be one or two people on here that can help you but I suggest trying

www.groundpilots.com

heizervr6
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
15 years or older while the border is still open and 6% duty and 6% GST.

HTH. :)

A790
09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by heizervr6
15 years or older while the border is still open and 6% duty and 6% GST.

HTH. :)

Pretty much hit the nail on the head :)

Wadokai
09-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Oh...so the bike HAS to be 15 yrs old?

And what do they base the 6% duty and GST on? Because if it's bought in different currency...how do they exactly determine that?

dr_jared88
09-15-2007, 08:30 PM
So are these bikes right hand drive? What's so special about them lol.

On a serious note, what are special about bikes from asia? Don't know much about bikes.

drew_goring
09-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Wadokai
Oh...so the bike HAS to be 15 yrs old?

And what do they base the 6% duty and GST on? Because if it's bought in different currency...how do they exactly determine that?

Well to solve this problem, there is a thing called an "exchange rate". We use this to convert different currencies.

Here is some more information if you are interested:

Exchange Rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_rate) :rolleyes:

Wadokai
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh I know what exchange rate is; what I was trying to ask was would they be charging GST and 6% duty on the price that i bought the bike for, and THEN convert it to CAD $?

=]

drew_goring
09-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Wadokai
Oh I know what exchange rate is; what I was trying to ask was would they be charging GST and 6% duty on the price that i bought the bike for, and THEN convert it to CAD $?

=]

lol

If I'm not mistaken you declare the value at the border. Just make sure you have the proper paperwork to back it up.