PDA

View Full Version : Infection question (sorry, not std related)

JRSC00LUDE
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Wierd thing happened to me this weekend and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. Sorry it's long....

Back last february, I wiped out on a rail-slide and blew my shin open (bone cut through from inside out but no breaks). When I got home, I got it all stitched up and all was well other than it took a pretty long time to heal. Took the stitches out after two weeks and a bit as per doctors orders and it just plopped open again....

But anywho, this past sunday I though I was just hung over since I was the best man in a wedding the night before but by the time monday came around I could barely get out of bed and couldn't eat. Dragged my ass to class monday night and left due to crazy fever. Went to bed and basically couldn't get out of it until about 11 o'clock tuesday night. I noticed earlier in the day my leg hurt a bit but was literally too exhausted to even sit up and look at it. Now that I looked at it, a hockey puck sized area around the old cut is all inflamed/swollen up etc. :eek: Went to the doctor yesterday morning and sure enough, massive infection going on. Got on some super antibiotics and swelling is gone and came back to work this afternoon so all should be well. Funny thing is, I've been sick with the same sypmtoms twice before this spring/summer (but only for a day each time) and when I went to the doctor and got checked out, nothing came up as being wrong so apparently it's been festering for awhile. I did have some fluid pooling in that shin but chalked it up to slamming it around bmx'ing or running or whatever, there was never any pain/swelling/redness etc.

Anyone ever had such a thing happen before? Never heard of any old injuries getting infected so long after the fact, and I've got stitches and scars all over my body.

GTS Jeff
09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
My guess is that your immune system has been fighting off the infection for awhile without actually clearing it, then when it got really weak (massive drinking can do that) that gave the bugs a chance to gain a foothold. Keep taking the antibiotics as prescribed, don't just stop when the symptoms go away a bit.

fastball
10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Wow... that doesn't sound like fun... I hope you feel better man

Datsun-Fever
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Ewww was it like oozing?? hahaha

BokCh0y
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
did he give you an anti-biotic cream like fucidin to apply to the affected area as well?

I had a spider bite about 2 months ago ont he back of my leg (top part of the calve) and same thing happened to me. I got bit, it was sore for a day then went away. 2 months later the damn thing started swelling up and came back. It started to get super sore and i literally could not feel my leg from the bottom half of my thigh all the way to my toes. Went to see a doc and he gave me an anti-biotic cream that i used. It went down a little but came back so i ended up seeing the doc again and he gave me a super strong oral anti-biotic. I had to take the meds orally and still continue using the cream. It's been 2 weeks now and it's finally starting to subside and i can feel my toes again.

Good luck with the leg.

nismodrifter
10-04-2007, 07:02 PM
What Jeff said above sounds about right. Your body was infected at time of injury and is still fighting against whatever bacteria entered through your wound. Your drinking episode over the weekend suppresed your immune system and caused that bacteria to show itself, that's why you got the fever etc. Finish the antibiotics and you should be good to go.

JRSC00LUDE
10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
^

I finished them and have no infection/pain/fever for a couple weeks now but my shin is still "mushy". Like you can poke your finger into it and the dent will stay for a few minutes.

What do you make of that?

Q-TIP
10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
flesh eating disease...kiss your leg and right nut good-bye.

just kidding man, I'm no doctor, it'll probably be both nuts.

GTS Jeff
10-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

I finished them and have no infection/pain/fever for a couple weeks now but my shin is still "mushy". Like you can poke your finger into it and the dent will stay for a few minutes.

What do you make of that? Um gross. The tissue is probably necrotized and now your immune system will take some time to clear out all the dead tissue. Drink lots of water...

SunniSunShine
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
HA GUYS who the fuck bails a rail slide N00B!

JRSC00LUDE
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
HA Guys, everyone makes mistakes! Been ridin since 1991 pube. :D