PDA

View Full Version : Street Boarding

jeremyn
09-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey just wondering, do any of you guys ride street boards?
Long boards, t boards, free boards whatever.

if so feel free to share about your fav hills to ride.

i own a t board but am looking to purchase a free board.
anyone own one?

jeremyn
09-14-2007, 12:09 AM
free board

Gurpy
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Few of my fav hills:

Discovery ridge, turn left in to discovery ridge off highway 8 and keep going straight through the traffic circle and stuff, turn right right after the little plaza thing, and youll be going up a big long hill. It's 50-60km/h on longboards, if theres a bit of wind you'll probably slow down before the stop sign at the end - if its a calm day make sure you're comfortable foot braking at decent speeds orelse you're going to be in trouble.

Hamptons - Theres tonnes of hills in this area, but my fav is the one beside the golf course. Long, long hill. About 50-55km/h as well, we couldn't break 60 and that was with lots of pushing. Start from the very top, you have the right of way through the only intersection. If you're not comfortable with it try it from right after the only intersection. Scout the bump which comes shortly after the only intersection first, theres a place you can take it which makes it not too bad..i've taken it at a brutal spot before and it was fine, but its scary when your going that fast.

Patterson - don't know how to describe to get here either, if you want better directions let me know and i'll write down how to get there (I just save everything in the gps and go from there hahaha) I think it's take sarcee, turn on to bow trail going towards strathcona and stuff, turn right at the first set of lights, turn right on to a road which I think actually has patterson in the name...go for a bit and a big hill starts. Hills a 55-60km/h hill, starting from the top you'll slow down to a stop about half way through. The second half is where it gets interesting. Big corner at the end, be comfortable with sliding and take sliders obviously..it's a high, high speed corner. I've never done it, friends have and they were fine but they were going in to the corner at over 50km/h I believe. Scout it beforehand!

What're some of your fav hills?

benyl
09-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, I haven't done this in about 5 years.

I have a sector9 cosmic rider II.

Edgemont:
Here is what we used to call the Lake Louise Green run. I don't think the pavement is as smooth anymore. Start on Edgeland road near Edgeland close. Have a spotter on Edgedale Dr to watch for cars. Go down Edgedale Dr to the Mac's at the bottom near Edgemont Blvd.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=calgary&ie=UTF8&ll=51.122597,-114.151769&spn=0.011367,0.029182&z=15&om=1

This place is great for beginners. No need to brake anywhere. 30-40 km/h max. No need to worry about speed wobbles.

Edgebrook Dr is another one we used to do:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=calgary&ie=UTF8&ll=51.134716,-114.132586&spn=0.011364,0.029182&z=15&om=1
Faster. Need to know how to brake.

Shagganappi trail
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=calgary&ie=UTF8&ll=51.128657,-114.127007&spn=0.011366,0.029182&z=15&om=1
We used to tow in at about 60km/h behind or beside a vehicle. Smooth all the way to country hills. Probably can't do it now with all the new neighborhood and traffic.

Patterson:

Patina Dr. is good in both directions. Either starting near Patina Ln or Patina Rise.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=calgary&ie=UTF8&ll=51.060278,-114.167776&spn=0.011382,0.029182&z=15&om=1

We've done Columbia street in Kamloops:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kamloops&ie=UTF8&ll=50.671115,-120.340204&spn=0.022956,0.058365&z=14&om=1
I wouldn't recommend it.

And numerous places in Europe!

thrasher22
09-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I used to do Hawkwood blvd all the time when I lived there, but all the neighborhoods around there (Hawkwood, Arbour Lake, Edgemont) have a ton of routes.

Tuscany is pretty much all built on a steady hill from the bearspaw side to Stoney Trail, most of it connected by smooth windy paths :D I do it a couple times a week.

Some of the smaller secondary highways in bears paw have giant sweeping hills and no cars, pavement is pretty rough though.

I rode a regular skate most of my life and just got a longboard at the start of the summer, I can't believe what I was missing out on

And numerous places in Europe!

How hard was bringing it with you? Did you just pack it in with clothes? I worry about the deck getting ruined but I want to bring it with me to Cali with me this winter.

stevo 27
09-15-2007, 05:09 PM
on the way out to brad creek theres one hill that has 3 wicked turns right by a cliff you can hit like 90-100km its pretty steep

jeremyn
09-16-2007, 01:13 AM
90-100? thats sick man,
Gurpy what kind of board do you ride?
im really excited that they'va paving sarcee trail.
its going to be wicked to ride that.

the hamptons drive off of hamptons blvd its a great run, but its kinda sketchy riding over the golf cart crossing at those speeds.

53 rd street from the top by the shanghai classic and the mac is a good run as well.

i love riding in edgemont just because there are so many hills there.

davidI
09-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I haven't done much myself, but my cousin races professionally. I'm pretty sure he's got a signature model coming out soon. His name is Steve Lange. He's sick. Rides park on it as well. He was recently in Calgary as they had a race down the road at COP. When I'm back in Calgary I want to get into it a bit!

benyl
09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by thrasher22

How hard was bringing it with you? Did you just pack it in with clothes? I worry about the deck getting ruined but I want to bring it with me to Cali with me this winter.

Fits in a long suitcase. I also have a really long back pack that I put it in.

benyl
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27
on the way out to brad creek theres one hill that has 3 wicked turns right by a cliff you can hit like 90-100km its pretty steep

I call BS.

You bearings will overheat and melt your wheels when going that fast. I have done that a few times only going 70.

Unless you are on a street luge, you body produces too much drag to go that fast, even tucked down. But at that speed, you would have no control on the board.

jeremyn
09-17-2007, 10:48 PM
agreed
90-100 is insane.

theres a good run at cop,
you can drive to the top of the hill and bomb that, hit a good 40 with alot of carving.
only problem is the speedbump at the end.

Honda_002
09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
alot of people rip through gleneagles on longboards in cochrane, I would imagine it would be a pretty fun:dunno:

benyl
09-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by jeremyn
agreed
90-100 is insane.

theres a good run at cop,
you can drive to the top of the hill and bomb that, hit a good 40 with alot of carving.
only problem is the speedbump at the end.

Haha, we got banned for life from COP for doing that.

My name is Bob Thorton. hahahahhahahahahahaha