PDA

View Full Version : Learning a new language?

jdmXSI
09-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Im thinking of learning a couple of new languages. Perferably japanese, vietnamese, German and Russian. Does anyone have any pointers on what works best for learning a new language or any good sites with full dictionaires?

thinmyster
09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
maybe pick one and learn that first. 5 might be a bit hard to do

jdmXSI
09-14-2007, 12:59 AM
I know, kinda figured it would be hard to learn 4 at the same time. Wouldnt that be something to jumble german & russian in a conversation?

abyss
09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I learned Japanese in School and I'm currently struggling with Vietnamese (worst language EVAR...kidding!). My pointer to you is that if you're not speaking the language frequently enough you'll eventually lose it. I am not fluent in Japanese anymore at all, so go ahead and learn the languages if you'd like, just don't expect to remember it all perfectly 6 years later if you don't speak it daily. Good luck!

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I took french immersion for 11 years... 3 years afterwards (actually I lost it at about 4 months) I can't even hold a conversation. I'm sure if I started using it, it would come back. As for languages, I would look into night courses or such at the U of C. Or if your already taking a course there, take Japanese as a side thing.

The_Rural_Juror
09-11-2020, 05:05 AM
I always wondered if OP ever decided on a mail order bride, and if the relationship worked out.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-11-2020, 08:45 AM
I always wondered if OP ever decided on a mail order bride, and if the relationship worked out.

:rofl::rofl: He's married, and I think they even have kid(s). The bride was in fact, not mail ordered.

The_Rural_Juror
09-11-2020, 09:02 AM
:rofl::rofl: He's married, and I think they even have kid(s). The bride was in fact, not mail ordered.

Perhaps you haven't heard about this second family trend.